Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Zoe R90 arrived last week and I tried the timed charging in the day to check it worked. Nothing happened at the programmed time. After some experimentation I've found that charging starts exactly 1 hour after the time programmed. It's as though the charging starts at the programmed time in GMT, rather than BST!

Has anyone else seen this? If you only set the timer overnight you might not have noticed it as the charging completes, but has an hour less than it seems to do so.

In addition, the third option for programming charging (Calendar) is always greyed out on my Zoe and not available.

Edit: This is for programming via R-Link directly and nothing to do with remote connection via ZE Services / Connect. They are not needed for Timed Charging (at least for one-off timed charging - the Calendar option is greyed out on my car). See my later post - #18. However, I do have my R-Link account and My ZE Online accounts set up and working, as well as RLink Toolbox on my PC and the ZE Services app on my Android phone. This all seems to be working correctly, although rather a pain to set up! Why THREE accounts? - MyRenault, MyZEOnline and an R-Link account. It's not very user-centric.

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
465 Posts
Have you got your R link account set up yet? Assuming your car is new this will allow you to update your maps etc and other updates.
Make sure you use the Rlink GB site.
You will then be able to see if all the ZE services, which enables calendar charging, are licensed.
The Renault TomTom maps lag the TomTom maps by many issues.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've had my Zoe for 3 months and never managed to get R-link to work. The car goes well without it, but I wish my Tom Tom would warn me of traffic congestion. I certainly can't get the charging scheduler to work.
R-link? ☹☹☹!

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,390 Posts
I've had my Zoe for 3 months and never managed to get R-link to work. The car goes well without it, but I wish my Tom Tom would warn me of traffic congestion. I certainly can't get the charging scheduler to work.
R-link? ☹☹☹!
I had the same problem (probably): network not connected. I couldn't care so much, but the "should work" nagged me. CS fixed it though after one call. I didn't have to touch anything.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Have you got your R link account set up yet?
I've had my Zoe for 3 months and never managed to get R-link to work.
I had the same problem (probably): network not connected.
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm just using the in-car timed charging - nothing to do with remote control from the app. I suspect it's just a bug in the on-board R-Link software.There ought to be no need for a network connection (although I have good one).

In the UK, you can view the contribution of various generators (historically and in real time) at G. B. National Grid status and I want to use that so as to charge at a time during the night when the minimum proportion of electricity is generated by coal and gas. That way you can get much of the effect of using a renewables contract without the cost - and reduce the load on the network.

Edit: I have carried out an R-Link software update using RLink Toolbox and the SD card. Not sure what it updated.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
R-link? ☹☹☹!
Have you registered for online services? My ZE Online
if you have then click on your VIN at top of page and make sure driving mode is activated.

Also need to register with Rlink store Manage the products on your R-LINK and download new applications to update maps and any other software for which you would be prompted.

·
465 Posts
Once you've logged in to gb.rlinkstore.com

In My Products

Live Services is traffic etc, a new car gets a 12 month licence, after this you need to pay

MyZE Interactive allows calendar charging, a new car gets a 12 month licence, it seems not to worth paying for renewal.

It is worth updating the Rlink software, but the on air update seems limited, the update/recall to stop the TCU (tele ?communications unit ) draining the 12v battery is a dealer job, as is the "active solution" update that finally got my car reliably connecting to the Renault server.

Connecting to the Renault server is required for timer and calendar charging, daft as it seems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have just taken delivery of a new Renault Zoe 5dr Hat Dynamique Nav Au with a Z.E. 40 battery.

I have also had installed at home a Chargemaster H7T2 30 amp Type 2 Tethered.

I am also connected to My ZE online.

I am hoping to set up a timed charging procedure but am unsure if what I want is available.

My plan is to set up the charger to start at 1.00 am each morning during my cheap (Economy 7) electricity time so that I can plug in the charger in the evening and the charge would start at 1.00 am as planned and do I have to set up a start and finish time for each day?

I need to know:

1 Full instructions for setting up the above. i.e. in what order do I plug in the battery, set up the times on my computer using My ZE online etc. Currently if I plug in to the car the battery starts charging immediately.

2 Do I leave the cable connected and switch off the charger while I’m setting up the timer/calendar for each day?

3 Assuming I’m successful in setting up the above procedure would I have to plug in each evening (sometimes the battery would require little or no charge)? So if I missed an evening would the system revert to the original schedule without re-setting?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can advise.

·
465 Posts
I would recommend you program charging via the car rather than the app.

Have a play round with Rlink in the car, you will find the charging options under electrical vehicle.

I would recommend timed charge, this will commence charging at the time you want and continue till it's fully charged. Set this up in Rlink and you will get a little symbol come on the dash.

Then plug the car in.

When you plug the car the light blue light around the charge lead should double flash continuously to show it is set up correctly

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
When in the home screen (small map showing) touch 'menu' bottom LH corner, touch 'Vehicle' then 'Electrical Vehicle' there you should see charge scheduler. HTH

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks BogieMan and Mo1. I think I've cracked it now using scheduling via the car. I'll know tomorrow morning if the battery has recharged!
I presume this scheduling over-rides the fact that charging normally starts when I plug in the cable.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,390 Posts
Yes, which MIGHT bite you in the behind one day, running late on a too far out appointment, ramming in the cable and rushing off, only to find out she didn't charge because of the bloody timer. It's why I prefer timed charging implemented in my chargepoint, but I have been "dissed" on that one here for it being impractical for the general user. Which was fair enough. Just saying: be aware.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Good point from @yoh-there, if left with timed charge set a manual attempt to charge will fail, needs to be set back at "always charging" in scheduler to allow any manual charge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I set up the timer in the car for charging at 1.00 am each day. Car was fully charged this morning but I'm not fully convinced that the charge started at 1.00 am. As soon as I plugged in the cable at 11 pm last night it appeared from the dashboard that the battery was charging right away and that the over-ride facility which would have delayed the charge until 1.00 am was not working. Would the dashboard be showing charging activity even if the next charge is scheduled for later?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it started charging straight away the timer is not set. On the 'Charge Scheduler' page on R-Link make sure that besides setting the start time you also press 'Select' for the timed charging option. Press all the 'Done' options presented. The 'Always Charging' option should not be highlighted and a small clock symbol should appear at the top of the dashboard.

This all works for me except that charging starts exactly one hour after the programmed time. Could you please try it out on your car during the day when you have time? Set the timer to start charging at the next possible start time and then see when charging starts. It should start at the time you have set, so less than a 15 minute wait. If it doesn't then monitor it for the next hour and see if it starts an hour later.

The manual mentions both start and end times, but there's no sign of an end time to set on my car.

That was my original query when starting this thread - just direct operation via R-Link and nothing to do with ZE Services / Connect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks cDy, my timed charged started ok at 1.00 am this morning and I am fully charged again. My next move is to miss out tonight's planned charge and see if the timed charge will work the next night as scheduled! Thanks all for your helpful answers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok so having set up the timer for 1.00 am each morning I plugged in my home charger on Tuesday evening and as expected it started charging at 1.00 am on Wednesday morning. I deliberately did not plug in on Wednesday evening and plugged in on Thursday evening. lo and behold it started charging right away without waiting until 1.00 am on Friday morning. Where am I going wrong? Am I not allowed to miss a day if I set up a daily charge? Does the over-ride facility not work if I miss a day?

Found the answer. I did not charge last night and the car computer screen had changed this morning to always (left hand icon). So I set it back to "timer" (middle icon) and no doubt if I plug in this evening the charge will delay until 1.00 am tomorrow morning. So to answer my own question the over-ride facility does not work if I miss a day!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts