Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fairly dated pointpod charger at home, does not have any timer options. If I want to regularly charge to 80% are there any options besides the car timer which seems like I would have to set the clock each time dependant on what charge I have left as the 80% option is gone now?

·
Registered
Leaf e+
240 Posts
Might be better posted in the General Charging Discussion area for a wider audience.

I have heard of others using relay modules to control the signal wire for charging which is better than trying to switch the power feed given the high current it requires.

A quick google search brought me right back to this forum - but in the MG ZS area which is interesting and might help solve your issue!
MG ZS timed pod point fix

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,911 Posts
The obvious answer is a Type 2 Ohme lead, particularly if you are with Octopus and hence get the discount. The suggestions above will all require you to vary the timers (by whatever means) as they have no integration with the car's SoC.

Edited to add: If you are handy with scripting as @Aragorn is you could make your own as suggested on an earlier thread:

Recurring (unplugged) pre-heat

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the great info, gave me lots to read and I'll be honest some of the on/off solutions kinda scares me (easily scared). Also, the very good point made above my pain is based around the fact of having to vary the timer as my driving schedule is not routine. The Nissan Connect app is still a pile of crap so not much help there either or this would be ideal.

@QPRfan suggestion of the granny charger with my already existing lightwaverf plugs would be an easy/free option for me to trial out.

By the way the goal of all this nonsense is to stop charging to 100% unless I really need too.

So an option coming to my mind now is I have a 3.3 podpoint charger and a granny charger both next to each other and ready. So I'm thinking to set a timer on the car say something like 12 to 6am then I will select whether to use granny or podpoint based on what I need.

Am I right in thinking I can override the charge timer by just pressing the button in the car near the steering heating control?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,517 Posts
TRUST YOUR BMS!

If you have a Leaf 2 (ZE1) there is no issue with charging to 100% on a home charger and the BMS looks after the battery very well, cutting down the charging current to not much more than a trickle over 95% SOC.

(100 is only about 95% of actual capacity so you cannot overcharging even if the BMS let you)

On my E+ with 7kw charger, the 4hours OCtopus Go off peak time gives me upto 25kwh of charge (45%) with the car timer programmed accordingly. I now don't worry whether this means reaching 100% or not, having concluded that it is perfectly safe for the battery.
The only warning in the owners manual is about leaving it at a very low SOC for a long period.
Mk1 Leafs might be a different story.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Maui -- That is very interesting, but seeing the 35p around 4 to 7 scars the crap out of me with the kids getting home. It also sounds like it relies on the same data Nissan Connect app uses, and I can't say I have a high level of trust in that, so far the app telling me I need to plug in while in real life it is charging.

@farmergiles -- Maybe gen 2 is different but if you see my post Leaf 24 --> 30 --> going 40 you'll see it has me worried and hence my untrusting nature. (that is a gen 1)

So while I think this thru some more, I figured I would use the time and adjust for now, and the first interesting thing happened. Have some miles to do tomorrow and I'm at 22% I have set the EV calculator for 3.0kw and it says I need 6.5 hours for 80% and 10.5 hours for 100%. So I set the time for 10 pm to 7 am (9 hours) and plugged in, and now it shows me:--

Am I right in reading this now thinks I will be at full charge in 6hours and 20 mins at 4:20 am?

To hell with this, I have hit the override button at 1pm and will see for myself, but even more interesting once hitting override I now see this which I'd love someone to make sense, of course my Nissan app is still saying plugin, please.

Having so much fun, BTW really love the car.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,517 Posts
@Maui -- That is very interesting, but seeing the 35p around 4 to 7 scars the crap out of me with the kids getting home. It also sounds like it relies on the same data Nissan Connect app uses, and I can't say I have a high level of trust in that, so far the app telling me I need to plug in while in real life it is charging.

@farmergiles -- Maybe gen 2 is different but if you see my post Leaf 24 --> 30 --> going 40 you'll see it has me worried and hence my untrusting nature. (that is a gen 1)

So while I think this thru some more, I figured I would use the time and adjust for now, and the first interesting thing happened. Have some miles to do tomorrow and I'm at 22% I have set the EV calculator for 3.0kw and it says I need 6.5 hours for 80% and 10.5 hours for 100%. So I set the time for 10 pm to 7 am (9 hours) and plugged in, and now it shows me:--

View attachment 142463

Am I right in reading this now thinks I will be at full charge in 6hours and 20 mins at 4:20 am?

To hell with this, I have hit the override button at 1pm and will see for myself, but even more interesting once hitting override I now see this which I'd love someone to make sense, of course my Nissan app is still saying plugin, please.

View attachment 142465

Which charger are you using - 7 or granny?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,517 Posts

View attachment 142463

View attachment 142465

The first image is correct, in so far as the car expects to be fully charged in 6hr 20mins so increasing the timer window just means it will (should) have stopped charging at the same time.
There is also the option of a 'prioritise full charge' in the menu which over rides the timer cut off time and continues charging to 100%. I will use this if I'm going far afield the next day to ensure 100% regardless of the SOC before charging starts.

The second image doesn't make sense!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So looks like it is charging 10% per hour (at least till 80%). So the calculation it showed to full was/is way out.

At least 10% is a nice round number so quick maths to select charge times needed. i'll prob stop the charge and set the final top-up for the morning closer to my leave time.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,517 Posts
I'd just let it charge to 100% in one go if you need a full charge. The BMS cuts the current down anyway above 95% and stops it completely at 100%. (the granny charger charging led goes off)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just to finish the research it went from 70% to 95% in 3 hours this morning. At least now have a gauge on charge time required, may see how I get along with the timer, was not so bad setting it during traffic 😂

Other the Ohme charger I am liking alot, that is a super cool thought out idea/product.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi @jpower . Lots of good technical advice on here for you. I have a dumb charger too and use a basic but effective workaround. I keep the charge timer set to 'on' all the time with every day ticked too. For my 62 I know that it adds about 11-12% juice per hour so I keep to about 4 hours set on the timer and plug in to charge when it drops to 30s%. Occasionally I might add an extra hour. Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, based on your most recent post especially, but it works well for me and is low maintenance.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,517 Posts
Hi @jpower . Lots of good technical advice on here for you. I have a dumb charger too and use a basic but effective workaround. I keep the charge timer set to 'on' all the time with every day ticked too. For my 62 I know that it adds about 11-12% juice per hour so I keep to about 4 hours set on the timer and plug in to charge when it drops to 30s%. Occasionally I might add an extra hour. Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, based on your most recent post especially, but it works well for me and is low maintenance.
Yes, easy and works so need for separate timer.

I get about the same 45% in the 4hour OctoGo window.

if I need to fill up to 95-100% i just start charging when down to about 50-60% or use the timer over ride feature which continues the charging after the window until 100% is reached. Charging only slows down at 95%.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Options
0. (Older LEAF) set 80% limit onboard in car.
1. Note your needed charge and disconnect manually when sufficient.
2. Use car timer, if possible
3. Install adjustable timer and relay to wallbox supply.
4. If you are an electronics geek; set up your favourite controller to the Nissan API and control the supply to your wallbox by a relay.

5. Do the sensible thing and install an EASEE charging robot that is online with your car through the Nissan app API and KNOWS when your car is at 80%.

Sent fra min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Options
0. (Older LEAF) set 80% limit onboard in car.
1. Note your needed charge and disconnect manually when sufficient.
2. Use car timer, if possible
3. Install adjustable timer and relay to wallbox supply.
4. If you are an electronics geek; set up your favourite controller to the Nissan API and control the supply to your wallbox by a relay.

5. Do the sensible thing and install an EASEE charging robot that is online with your car through the Nissan app API and KNOWS when your car is at 80%.

Sent fra min SM-G960F via Tapatalk
Additional option.
Control charging via pilot signal

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,517 Posts
Additional option.
Control charging via pilot signal
There is another thread where this is discussed.

I'm still now of the opinion that the Leaf 2's BMS can manage the battery very well and there is no damage done by letting the charge reach 100% with a 3 or 7kw charger.

You can see what % is added in one hour and then set the car's timer accordingly if you are determined to avoid 100% charges (only 95% in reality).

I also have to agree with those who say that why pay for a 62kwh (or 40kwh) battery and then only use 70% of it (80 to 10%).

If you want to avoid 100% charging, then do it to 95%, which is when the charging slows right down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts