Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tiny spot of rust on the passenger side rear wheel arch. It is about 1mm across.

Is this something I need to get repaired? Is it liable to get worse?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I have a tiny spot of rust on the passenger side rear wheel arch. It is about 1mm across.

Is this something I need to get repaired? Is it liable to get worse?
Is it on the turned under lip of the wheel arch or on the vertical section that can be seen when looking directly at the side of the car !.
If it’s on the turned under lip of the wheel arch, it could be the result of a stone chip.
If so, it could be addressed with a coloured touch up kit.
I would suggest dealing with this before it gets any worse.
By the time you have removed all traces of the rust, the current 1mm area will have increased in size.
Any bare metal should be treated ideally with an etching primer, then coloured base coat and then protective lacquer.
I am presuming and hoping it is NOT perforation rust coming from the inside out !.
This could be covered by the paint warranty.
Wheel arches are subjected to a lot of water and salt smuts.
If rust develops on the turned under lip of the arch and is not treated quickly, then before you know, it has crept up onto the face of the wheel arch.
Act quickly would be my suggestion.
Can you grab a couple of photos ?.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect this is just a stone chip as you say the area gets a lot of abuse. The area is on the vertical section around the wheel arch ie in a plane with the VW logo on the wheel face. I haven't inspected under the wheel arch yet but I will check when I have time. Dubious picture attached...

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I suspect this is just a stone chip as you say the area gets a lot of abuse. The area is on the vertical section around the wheel arch ie in a plane with the VW logo on the wheel face. I haven't inspected under the wheel arch yet but I will check when I have time. Dubious picture attached...

View attachment 129261
Cheers.
Yeah - You have what looks like a very small dent in the body line of the wheel arch and some scratches in the lacquer also.
If you intended to keep the car a while longer, I would treat the damage.
IF it was my car, I would jump on top of that chip ASAP Tom.
It is going to be a little difficult to treat the rust because it’s in the face of the body of the wheel arch.
If you start attacking it aggressively, you will end up with more trouble than you have right now !.
This is what I would do.
First, get a touch up kit from your local dealer, they are about £20 though !.
Buy one of them tubs of wooden cocktail sticks from the supermarket.
Choose a dry warm day.
Leave the scratches for now.
Clean down the area, don’t use any type of polish of any kind.
You could use panel prep or even some methylated spirts.
Then, using the tip of one the sticks, start to apply small amounts of paint to the chip.
Just collect the paint on the tip of the stick.
The brush that comes in the touch up kit is way to big !.
Don’t try and fill the chip all in one go, apply the paint a bit at a time and a couple of hours apart.
Apply enough coats until it is just a slightly lower than the surface of the other paint on the wheel arch.
Now apply coats of the lacquer in the same way.
Your want the lacquer to be slightly higher that the surrounds paint.
Leave it to fully dry ( maybe the next day ) then use either a fine rubbing compound or some T Cut start rubbing at the direct site of the repair.
Keep stopping and then buff off the cutting agent with a clean soft cloth.
When the touch in area is at the same level as the original paint on the car, your done !.
At this point the touch in will be almost impossible to spot.
Now continue to apply the compound over a bigger area, keeping clear of the repair and polish out the rest of them scratches.
When they all removed, apply a coat of polish / wax over the complete area.
This method has worked for me many times in the past.
With a solid colour, it is a little easier than a metallic finish.
I did the very same thing on my car not yesterday.
A stone chip at the front of my bonnet !.
You have to know where to look in order to find it now !.
You could see it from 3 feet away before the repair.
Hope this helps in some way.
Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
get a touch up kit from your local dealer, they are about £20 though !.
For what it's worth, I've found that the Halfords 3 pen touch up kits are really good, and a fair whack cheaper than the stuff from the dealer. Perfect colour match as well (I may have a black car... ;))

·
Registered
667 Posts

Use SPRINGSALE2020, for 15% discount.
Bought Chipex set for our Tesla due to them not supplying anything in UK yet; plus Tesla use same sets as per our SC.
So far so good; perfect match, really easy to apply and blend in. Only minor negative is speed at which it drys; don’t try and do lots of chips at once, only 1 or 2 simultaneously.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts