Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have taken delivery of my 2017 ZE40 and absolutely love it, particularly now it's paired up to the new EO Mini Pro 2 charger (although the app is basic).

A couple of naive new-EV owner questions:

1. Charging - in terms of extending the life of the battery, is it better to drain it before charging or just plug in every night, regardless of how much juice is left?

2. Granny cable - I am looking to buy a new/used granny cable. Any recommendations that are compatible with a Zoe?

3. Has anyone attempted to retrofit Android Auto to a 2017 Zoe?

Cheers everybody.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Welcome, from another ZE40 owner :)

1) don't over think it. Every night probably overkill unless you do high mileage every day? No need to let it go down to zero though. You'll get used to its range over the year and get more comfortable running it at lower State of Charges (SoC).

2) I bought one second hand off this forum. I can't say I've used it much, but works fine. Sorry I don't know what specific one it is, but I've used Tesla's and BMWs and they all work fine, so think you can go with any really.

3) Yes I did this for my 66-plate Zoe. You need some hardware, but it's a easy process once you are set up. This thread will help you:

·
Registered
531 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you charge it full every day then you won't get any regenerative breaking when you set out on the next journey. This means that you get more disk and pad wear on your brakes. It depends a bit on where you live. If you live at the top of a hill, like me, then every journey involves a 100m downhill run whichever way I go. If the battery is full then I can can see that the regeneration doesn't happen and I get a pain in the wallet from thinking about the disk wear!
The battery in the zoe is well protected from over and under charging by its own software - 0% doesn't mean a flat battery and 100% doesn't mean that the cells won't take any more charge. The real capacity of the ZE 40 is about 45kWh IIRC. 100% means no regeneration for a few miles and 0% means a long wait for a rescue!

Don't run the tyres at Renault's recommended pressures. Zoe's often suffer from excessive wear on the edges of the tread. 40psi is reasonable and well within the pressure rating of the heavy duty tyres that must be fitted. When you get replacements you must ensure that the tyres are the right heavy duty load rating because Zoe is a heavy car for its size.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Incredibly helpful, thank you all for your replies. The Android Auto retrofit looks too technical for me.....wow. Bluetooth and 6Music for me I think!

Thank you, some great advice.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Incredibly helpful, thank you all for your replies. The Android Auto retrofit looks too technical for me.....wow. Bluetooth and 6Music for me I think!

Thank you, some great advice.
It's really easy once you have the gear. I recommend the OBD dongle generally as you can use the CanZE app to monitor things.

I couldn't do without AA personally. Being able to access my music via the apps and navigate using Google Maps is a much nicer experience, so worth the small time and effort!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts