Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you manage your Leaf on the motorways in regards of the power consumption? I had my fist long journey and it was very bad experience despite me driving it between 50-60mph ,not using AC or anything consuming power . Did not overtake anyone (bit frustrating driving in a slowest lane ) yet I left home on full charge(114 miles) and just about managed to reach my destination of 60 miles (had around 15 miles left )

I also had range drop from 114 miles to 55 in about 20 minutes of driving and just when I was about to have an "Range anxiety attack " it started to go up and stay on 60 for a while before slowly going down again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
How do you manage your Leaf on the motorways in regards of the power consumption? I had my fist long journey and it was very bad experience despite me driving it between 50-60mph ,not using AC or anything consuming power . Did not overtake anyone (bit frustrating driving in a slowest lane ) yet I left home on full charge(114 miles) and just about managed to reach my destination of 60 miles (had around 15 miles left )

I also had range drop from 114 miles to 55 in about 20 minutes of driving and just when I was about to have an "Range anxiety attack " it started to go up and stay on 60 for a while before slowly going down again.

Hi
I am not an expert this is just my opinion, the best advice I could give any one is completely shut out the range indicator on any EV, the only gauge I ever look at is the %battery left on my leaf if I drive economically like you mentioned about I get about 0.9 miles per 1% battery used ... If I drive like I want to drive ie: 75-80 on motorway and 40 around town it used 1.6%battery for 1mile... I find Eco on help me stop putting my lead boot down I know it's only a power limiter but I don't have a steady foot so it helps me a lot ...

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
If you have a Android phone I recommend to get OBD Bluetooth dongle and use LeafSpy. Alternative get a LeafDD.

That way you will know down to the very 400 yds when your battery is about to run out and you have better control.

I also find that if it is not hilly then the cruise control gives me good range as does the speed limiter. If it is hilly cruise doesn't do a particularly good job at helping with range.

Hills kill range like nothing else known to man... apart from speed that is :)

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that . how often do you stop to charge and how are you finding fast (30 min) chargers at Services?
I did one charge but only came to 7 bars ,not quite 80% as advertised !

I just wonder if anyone ,ever got 100 miles out of Nissan Leaf (2012)

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts

About 75 miles on a full charge is good for 2011 or 2012 car(Japanese built), and totally normal for a 2013 or 2014(UK built) car.

A LeafDD does help you know a bit more information about how much charge you have, but it won't actually make the car go any further. I am not sure if you actually expected to get 114 miles on the motorway in the Leaf, or who had set that expectation, but unfortunately it's not realistic with the Leaf :(

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have a Android phone I recommend to get OBD Bluetooth dongle and use LeafSpy. Alternative get a LeafDD.

That way you will know down to the very 400 yds when your battery is about to run out and you have better control.

I also find that if it is not hilly then the cruise control gives me good range as does the speed limiter. If it is hilly cruise doesn't do a particularly good job at helping with range.

Hills kill range like nothing else known to man... apart from speed that is :)

Hi Paul - I have iphone ,been looking at app store and not much there ):

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
Thanks for that . how often do you stop to charge and how are you finding fast (30 min) chargers at Services?
I did one charge but only came to 7 bars ,not quite 80% as advertised !

I just wonder if anyone ,ever got 100 miles out of Nissan Leaf (2012)
I aim to do 40-45 miles between rapid chargers, and arrive almost empty at my next one, as the car charges at a faster rate between empty and about 50%. 40 miles charge usually takes about 15-20 minutes for me.

No I have never achieved 100 miles from my 2011 car. The most I have achieved is 63 miles, with about 8 miles left on the gauge. That was travelling with cruise control set to 60mph on the M6.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I do a similar thing to @Flaninacupboard ... try to charge only to about 50% unless I need more to get me to the next charger then I charge to whatever level I need :)

Most I have ever got from my 2011 is 98 miles but that was a test by driving around the block.

Most I have driven on a single charge for real trip is 78 miles and I arrived with 4 miles still showing so probably had about 8-10 miles remaining.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
About 75 miles on a full charge is good for 2011 or 2012 car(Japanese built), and totally normal for a 2013 or 2014(UK built) car.

A LeafDD does help you know a bit more information about how much charge you have, but it won't actually make the car go any further. I am not sure if you actually expected to get 114 miles on the motorway in the Leaf, or who had set that expectation, but unfortunately it's not realistic with the Leaf :(
I was expecting around 80-90 miles . Really do not understand 114 or 125 miles range ,I mean how did they come to those numbers ?

It took me couple of years to convince my hubby to get this car ,now we have it it is great for all those endless school pick ups and going to and back from short distance workplace ,but going for long journeys will be challenging ... I hope Tesla sharing their technology will improve other ev's range .

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I aim to do 40-45 miles between rapid chargers, and arrive almost empty at my next one, as the car charges at a faster rate between empty and about 50%. 40 miles charge usually takes about 15-20 minutes for me.

No I have never achieved 100 miles from my 2011 car. The most I have achieved is 63 miles, with about 8 miles left on the gauge. That was travelling with cruise control set to 60mph on the M6.
Thank you ,I guess I am just a little bit impatient . On my way back from Oxford I stopped at one service and fast charged it for 30 min but only got 7 bars . Next and only other service with fast charger on my way was 25 mile away but fast charger was offline so I had to sit for 1 hour with 32 v charger . I got home with 6 miles left. The trip was 62 miles and it took me 3 1/2 hours in total . I hope for a better experience next time .

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do a similar thing to @Flaninacupboard ... try to charge only to about 50% unless I need more to get me to the next charger then I charge to whatever level I need :)

Most I have ever got from my 2011 is 98 miles but that was a test by driving around the block.

Most I have driven on a single charge for real trip is 78 miles and I arrived with 4 miles still showing so probably had about 8-10 miles remaining.
Was your 78 mile trip through villages/side roads or the motorway ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
The figures you see published have to be taken with a pinch of salt they are all theoretical ranges just like when you see Vw blue motion or Kia quoting 88mpg for ICE cars ...
I think the leaf realistically has a range of 70-85 if you mind how you drive ..
Just did 12.7 miles in 15% battery all M6 driving from Wigan to leyland with cruise on at 60mph
Not bad

I was expecting around 80-90 miles . Really do not understand 114 or 125 miles range ,I mean how did they come to those numbers ?

It took me couple of years to convince my hubby to get this car ,now we have it it is great for all those endless school pick ups and going to and back from short distance workplace ,but going for long journeys will be challenging ... I hope Tesla sharing their technology will improve other ev's range .
ures

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
There's no magic Tesla range technology, just massive batteries x3 or x4 what the LEAF has available. "Ye cannae change the laws o'physics"
Sort of true, sort of not! If the Leaf used 18650 cells like Tesla instead of what it has you'd fit more energy (kwh's) in the same space. If nothing else it puts pressure on other makers to at least TRY and make something with a better range!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Sort of true, sort of not! If the Leaf used 18650 cells like Tesla instead of what it has you'd fit more energy (kwh's) in the same space. If nothing else it puts pressure on other makers to at least TRY and make something with a better range!
Im not sure tesla are putting pressure on anyone, lack of a competitor vehicle says that they are not worried and doing their own thing.

Where is the BMW or Mercedes with 85kw battery options ?

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
Where is the BMW or Mercedes with 85kw battery options ?
More than ever I suspect their strategy is to just fill the spaces in their platforms that the fuel tank used to fill with batteries. That means in another 10 years or so they can prototype, and in 15 years launch, a vehicle with an 85kwh battery. They believe this will be good enough, and dovetail into the rising demand for EVs.

Except of course at this time Tesla will have a model S with 250kwh+ of batteries, giving something silly like 600 miles of range, ludicrous performance on the road and a recharge rate close to 1,000 miles an hour. Their mainstream car will be somewhere around 125kwh, with over 300 miles range good performance and 500 mile per hour charging.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts