Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Hi, just a curious question.
Why would a TM3 long range not charge up on a Pod Point 7kW post? This is an open post at work, no app needed.
Other cars, Leaf, Model X and S charge fine on it.
Any Ideas?
It sounds like the car, not the post - and no, there should be no reason for it not to work at all.

Has the car worked on other 7kW AC posts?

Can you expand on what "not charge" mean? What are the symptoms once plugging in? What does the charging display show? Do you seem voltage and amperage?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
it's not my car so information is limited. plugging in promts no response from the car, the post does nothing. Nothing happens.
I was wondering if it was something daft like the car had to be locked
No, the car does not need to be locked to charge.

'Nothing' just sounds a bit odd, when you plug in the cable for example - you should hear the latching pins clamp onto the cable, which automatically brings up the charging screen in the car. So 'for now' it sounds like the cable was not fully inserted?!

Worst case - you press the 'T' button in the car and call the helpdesk number there - Tesla can tell you what the car is and isn't seeing - but it does sound like there is no mechanical connection yet...

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I have an issue with my 3, there is a public post that it will not charge at with the supplied Tesla cable, another cable I have works fine and the Tesla cable works fine at home.
FWIW - I found the proper mennekes type2 that comes with the car is a very good cable (as cables go). Get is swapped out of it is not perfect IMHO.

·
Registered
632 Posts
the cable that it comes with is a very nice 3phase cable capable of using the 22KW AC chargers and charging at 11KW. It's quite possible that some of the 7KW single phase chargers don't recognise the cable correctly. The speed is determined by the cable not the car, so a 16A cable tells the charger to output 16A max.
All the other cars will be using 32A 7KW cables.
I'm almost tempted to swap my included cable for a standard 32A one as I could get one twice the length that takes up the same space as it's a lot thinner and I'm unlikely to ever use 22KW charge points as i've never seen an untethered one in the last 5 years of EV driving.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Assuming it is unte
I thought M3 only had single phase 7kW onboard charging? We also have Tesla wall chargers at 3ph 16amp per phase. The M3 only charges at 16amp on those.
There is a 3 phase 16A Pod Point charger near where I live. The M3 shows 16A on the display but then there is a little symbol next to it that shows it is receiving 3 phase power. It charges at somewhere around 42 miles added per hour.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,237 Posts
FWIW - I found the proper mennekes type2 that comes with the car is a very good cable (as cables go). Get is swapped out of it is not perfect IMHO.
I will have to swap it from the house charger to the boot and try it at some other points. Could it be that it works fine on single-phase (home) but not work on three-phase (the public one that did not work)?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Assuming it is unte

There is a 3 phase 16A Pod Point charger near where I live. The M3 shows 16A on the display but then there is a little symbol next to it that shows it is receiving 3 phase power. It charges at somewhere around 42 miles added per hour.
I just went and asked him, he gets the same 40mph added in the Tesla wall units, so never bothers with the pod points
Im going to guess the problem was not pushing the cable in properly the first time

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I will have to swap it from the house charger to the boot and try it at some other points. Could it be that it works fine on single-phase (home) but not work on three-phase (the public one that did not work)?
The cable you get with the car will be a 3phase cable(I think only BMW weirdly supplies single phase cables) so don't think it is related (the car needs to lock the charger port before knowing if it's single or 3 which does not sound like it is happening yet).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi, just a curious question.
Why would a TM3 long range not charge up on a Pod Point 7kW post? This is an open post at work, no app needed.
Other cars, Leaf, Model X and S charge fine on it.
Any Ideas?
Has anyone else charged from the post? That’s the one thing no-one else has mentioned. Is it working?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts