Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick question about the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV:

I fully charged the battery then drove around and the battery is about 3/4 full.

I've heard that regularly topping up the battery can lead to a faster degradtion?
I've also heard using the CHADEMO chargers can also depelete the battery faster?

Is it ok to regularly top up during the day or should I wait for the battery to be completely depleted and then fully charge again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My understanding is that periodically you should slow charge the battery to full, because it is only then that the charging system balances the charges of the individual cells, prolonging the life of the battery as a whole.

Only ever rapid charging via ChAdeMO, or constantly "topping up" to less than full doesn't do this. As far as I know, you don't need to wait for full depletion - that was an issue with NiCads long ago - but batteries should be charged to full from time to time.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Charge at every opportunity.

Chademo means a rapid charge, this causes faster degradation than a slower charge, which is what the outlander does on AC.

If you charge to 100%, don't then leave it sat at that for days. This will cause more rapid degradation.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,965 Posts
Charge when you need a charge. Don't when you don't. Its that simple. Charging for chargings sake, especially on Public chargers just makes you a dick (regardless the vehicle).

·
Registered
109 Posts
My understanding is that periodically you should slow charge the battery to full, because it is only then that the charging system balances the charges of the individual cells, prolonging the life of the battery as a whole.

Only ever rapid charging via ChAdeMO, or constantly "topping up" to less than full doesn't do this. As far as I know, you don't need to wait for full depletion - that was an issue with NiCads long ago - but batteries should be charged to full from time to time.
When you say "slow charge" do you mean use the granny charger to slow charge or are we saying that a 7.2kw charger will slow charge ok?

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
But the 7kW charger is fine for topping up as it will slow right down at the end automatically.
As does an Outlander PHEV charging on a rapid starting at 80%. I experienced this just last week when one added 1kWh in 30 minutes and had to wait for this before I could use the charger myself. A rapid charge it definitely wasn't but a misuse of a rapid charger.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When you say "slow charge" do you mean use the granny charger to slow charge or are we saying that a 7.2kw charger will slow charge ok?
I believe that, in this context, 7kW counts as "slow". The point is to get the charging process into the regime where charging slows and the battery cells are balanced with each other while a full charge is reached. A rapid charge to 80% doesn't achieve this, and topping up frequently (but not to full) doesn't either.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Charge when you need a charge. Don't when you don't. Its that simple. Charging for chargings sake, especially on Public chargers just makes you a dick (regardless the vehicle).
We always try to park at a charger, and plug in, have to admit, never ever thought doing that makes us all dicks!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
We always try to park at a charger, and plug in, have to admit, never ever thought doing that makes us all dicks!
i guess it depends if you need the charge or not.... If you park there with a 90% battery, when you dont really need to charge, then its a bit of a dick move, as your blocking a facility that someone else might actually be able to get some use out of.
Free chargers usually cause most of the issue. If the charger cost money, its likely you'd only plug in if you actually needed to charge, rather than just because you can, or because the space is more convienently located in the car park.

·
Registered
208 Posts
i guess it depends if you need the charge or not.... If you park there with a 90% battery, when you dont really need to charge, then its a bit of a dick move, as your blocking a facility that someone else might actually be able to get some use out of.
Free chargers usually cause most of the issue. If the charger cost money, its likely you'd only plug in if you actually needed to charge, rather than just because you can, or because the space is more convienently located in the car park.
^I wish I could upvote this more than once.

·
Registered
215 Posts
^I wish I could upvote this more than once.
I had an instance at a Rapid where the Outlander driver insisted on unplugging and replugging as it gave him a bit more range , he is a complete dick. Blocking a charger because it's available removes the opportunity to charge for someone who needs a charge to get home, ie not in a PHEV

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had an instance at a Rapid where the Outlander driver insisted on unplugging and replugging as it gave him a bit more range , he is a complete dick. Blocking a charger because it's available removes the opportunity to charge for someone who needs a charge to get home, ie not in a PHEV
Hear hear. I've pontificated about this before. In a sane world, Outlanders would never use public chargers, as it should cost more for the electricity than the petrol.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I understand PHEV drivers wanting the electric as it makes their journey cheaper, its a situation Ive been in for the last three years with my GTE, if ive found a charging spot thats free and I need some e-juice then I will take advantage of it because it helps my economy, thats the point of having a PHEV. I get more irate, as I did this weekend, when.I see an ICE in an EV only bay with another GTE parked directly behind it wanting to use it.
I do see the necessity for EV drivers to require the electric as a priority as its the only fuel they can use. Im switching to an EV this weekend so I will see both sides of the fence. I think PHEV drivers do need to be more understanding and think about what they are going to need rather than what they want. If you can get away with only having a part full battery then do that, don't sit on the charger making life uncomfortable for others. Have some understanding.

·
Super Moderator
11,106 Posts
Charge when you need a charge. Don't when you don't. Its that simple.
This.

And....

Move your car when it is done charging. .

Read the manual. Most EVs should not be left for long periods with the battery at a low state of charge. Typically that is <20% but check the manual. Some EVs should never be plugged in when the battery is already at a high state of charge. A LEAF 24 or 30 will damage the battery if a charge is started when the battery is at or above 98%.

·
Registered
215 Posts
This.

And....

Move your car when it is done charging. .

Read the manual. Most EVs should not be left for long periods with the battery at a low state of charge. Typically that is <20% but check the manual. Some EVs should never be plugged in when the battery is already at a high state of charge. A LEAF 24 or 30 will damage the battery if a charge is started when the battery is at or above 98%.
RTFM my favourite saying

1 - 18 of 18 Posts