Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. We've ordered a Audi A3 e-tron, so now we need to get the charger installed, which we have ordered from Chargemaster. I understand the Audi uses the type 2' socket. We're being offered a choice of tethered or untethered unit, and we're interested to know the pros and cons of each of these. We have offstreet parking, and the unit is being installed on the front of our house, so likely to be easily visible from the path/road. I've seen this thread where people voted on this, but the vote was quite evenly split! https://speakev.com/threads/home-charger-installs-which-would-you-advise.3235/
We're new to this, so all advice and opinions welcome, thanks

·
Super Moderator
853 Posts
Stand by for conflicting advice! I went tethered. It's not as future-proof, but I have a second cable in my boot for 'out and about' charging.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Tethered is quicker and easier on a cold wet night. But more likely to be an issue with a future replacement vehicle - but less of an issue for you as already Type 2 vehicle inlet.

Socket-outlet should be cheaper as it avoid the cost of the cable, but never seems to work out that way!

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,593 Posts
Went for tethered as £100 cheaper guess the extra socket and plug are £50 each, also mine is in garage and more convenient, not using public chargers so don't need cable.

·
Registered
647 Posts
In my opinion, a tethered cable works best in garages as it's more-convenient. However, it may not be the most cost-effective option if you also want to use public charging.

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
Tethered, it's more convenient. I also got a type2 cable that lives in the boot for workplace/public charging.

If my next EV needs a different tethered cable, yes I have "lost money", but I'll just pay to swap it.

Reactions: Kaw104

·
Super Moderator
5,892 Posts
Teathered………I charge on the drive, there is enough faff in my life without having to get a cable out of the boot and plug in on a rainy night when it only takes a few seconds to plug in the teathered cable.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I went untehered for future proofing and got the oem cable thrown in with the car as part of the deal. I now have a cable to be used on the road and can be sold in the future.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
There had to be one desending voice:eek:
My voice descended some time ago. I'll dissent instead :p

Untethered +1 - charges a wider range of vehicles, which comes in handy even if one thinks it won't. My Leaf driving mate agrees, regardless of all the other metal which turns up on my drive at sporadic intervals.

·
Super Moderator
5,892 Posts
My voice descended some time ago. I'll dissent instead :p

Untethered +1 - charges a wider range of vehicles, which comes in handy even if one thinks it won't. My Leaf driving mate agrees, regardless of all the other metal which turns up on my drive at sporadic intervals.
Stupid bloody auto correct:mad:

I get the reason for untethered I just can't be bothered with getting the cable out every time I pull up and putting it away wet every morning……call me Lazy the wife does:)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I leave the cable attached to the unit and the unit is behind a locked gate.

Reactions: Kaw104

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Went for tethered. I have made a decision to future-proof over a couple of things now and so far it is clear that I shouldn't have bothered.

Tethered is easier, quicker, cleaner. Sure, it is less future-proof and your mates/family cannot charge if they have a different socket but hey... how many people have family/friends that are likely to want to charge at your house? Some will, sure, but not many.

Do what you feel you want to do now and let the future and family and friends sort themselves out when that bridge needs to be crossed. :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Can you get extention cables ie juat plug another cable to make it longer

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Do remember though that the longer the cable the higher the voltage drop. You will have slower charge times and if it is long enough and the voltage drop big enough (don't ask me how long that is) then the car may not even charge.

I suspect that the length needs to be quite long to have that much effect but worth checking out before getting a very long cable :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts