Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really want to like this car, but it’s making things very difficult. I’m not trying to be negative, so please don’t give me a hard time about being an ID3 basher, I’m not, I’m just loosing the will to persevere.

Apart from the key / lock issues detailed previously - today, the cars really excelled in pissing me off.

Early into my journey, I noticed an increasing button lag, when doing anything (tone came at least a second later and this gradually increased). After about 15 minutes, the infotainment system, just shut down completely and I got various messages about things not being available. 10 minutes later it completely rebooted and seemed to go through the initial setup process. Sat Nav data lost, CarPlay no longer configured etc. I also got a message on the cockpit screen, which I think was telling me the lights were set for left hand drive mode (not sure).

If the above wasn’t enough, the exact same thing happened again about 20 minutes later.

There’s clearly a major issue somewhere - it almost seems like the system is getting overloaded. I’m at a loss what to do, I like the car, but I’m just totally fed up with the never ending problems

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,783 Posts
Considering how much actual use you've had it's failed immediately like this I'd just dump it back at the dealer and reject it. If it's leased then I think you have to reject the vehicle to the lease company. It's their car so I'd assume they'd have a process.

Manufacturers need to realise they can't get away with releasing dodgy vehicles on customers and expecting them to put up with them.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,909 Posts
I’d agree yours is a car that just needs to be rejected and replaced/refunded.

I know you’re saying the dealer isn’t to blame, but the fact they’ve tried to fob you off with the ‘7 reports before VW will do anything’ approach is not really on.

Did they update it to 2.1 as well?

The ID.3 is a good car when it works as intended, yours isn’t, and therefore it’s not a good one.

I think you’ve said in previous posts that they’ve had it in for inspection/attempted repair, that’s clearly failed, so get rid.

Don’t post about it on here, just do it! 👍🙂

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I know you’re saying the dealer isn’t to blame, but the fact they’ve tried to fob you off with the ‘7 reports before VW will do anything’ approach is not really on.

The ID.3 is a good car when it works as intended, yours isn’t, and therefore it’s not a good one.

I think you’ve said in previous posts that they’ve had it in for inspection/attempted repair, that’s clearly failed, so get rid.

Yes Sir - 😂

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I think you have been plenty patient enough. I would decide what you want (ie reject and either replacement or refund), write down all the issues you have had, then back to the dealer and politely tell them you are rejecting the car. Probably worth reviewing exactly what the rules say about rejecting a vehicle so they don't try and palm you off.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Yeah, I must say, my ID.3 currently only has a small fraction of the issues yours does, and I'm still fairly close to giving up on it and rejecting. I would definitely reject it in your case. Something just ain't right with your ID.3... I've read about plenty of issues people have had with the ID.3, but it's usually just one or two at a time. Yours has every ID.3 fault I've ever heard of, plus a whole load of new ones on top! 😬

·
Registered
727 Posts

We’re trying to work our way up to rejecting with a broken e-Niro at the mo.

Neither Kia nor the dealer who supplied the lease company will replace the car because it’ll cost them a bundle since the grant dropped off and prices have shifted.

If we reject it we’re stuck with the same problem and wouldn’t want to replace the car with what it’d cost now.

The only option is wait possibly months for repair or walk away with all of our money and get something we only half want or get what we do want with a situation not of our making putting us in detriment.

Manufacturer and dealer all happy for us to reject it because it’s the least cost option for them. Doesn’t exactly drive improvement of quality.

Very nearly went for an ID3. Sounds like it would have been just as bumpy a ride.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
We’re trying to work our way up to rejecting with a broken e-Niro at the mo.

Neither Kia nor the dealer who supplied the lease company will replace the car because it’ll cost them a bundle since the grant dropped off and prices have shifted.

If we reject it we’re stuck with the same problem and wouldn’t want to replace the car with what it’d cost now.

The only option is wait possibly months for repair or walk away with all of our money and get something we only half want or get what we do want with a situation not of our making putting us in detriment.

Manufacturer and dealer all happy for us to reject it because it’s the least cost option for them. Doesn’t exactly drive improvement of quality.

Very nearly went for an ID3. Sounds like it would have been just as bumpy a ride.
It seems like you’re out of the frying pan and into the fire with whatever EV you choose these days. I was thinking of getting something Korean if I do reject my ID.3, but have heard plenty of horror stories about Kias and Hyundais too recently. Are modern ICE cars as problematic, or is it just EVs?

I’m sure someone will be along in a bit to say that Leafs never go wrong... haha

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,851 Posts
I’ve spent time chasing strange and inconsistent problems with digital systems before. Faulty modules, bad wiring, dodgy connectors, throw in software issues and it can be really hard to work out where the issue is. This isn’t EV specific. I had a 2008 diesel Fiesta that had intermittent engine problems that seemingly nobody could fix.

Most often dealer workshops are relying on error codes reported by the car, randomly replacing and or upgrading modules with no understanding of where the problem is.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,909 Posts
Well, my own ID.3 has been.... oh it doesn’t matter! 😂😁

Seems to be a bit of a lottery with all EVs at the moment, I wonder if it was like this in the early ICE days?

The M3 is working ok, though not without its quirks and minor issues.

Hopefully whatever you get next is reliable.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,851 Posts
As an unrelated example.... I sometimes work with enterprise IT networks and come across buggy behaviour. My diagnostic skills are good enough that I often identify where the problem is and can accurately describe it. It then takes another level of specific expertise to dig into that equipment to work out what’s going wrong.

when that works out, it’s great. The problem comes when you can’t reliably recreate the problem, which means there’s nothing for the dev team to go on. We can all agree there’s a problem but that’s not enough to get anywhere. Sometimes the number of variables is too great. Shoddy code makes this more likely.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, my own ID.3 has been.... oh it doesn’t matter! 😂😁

Seems to be a bit of a lottery with all EVs at the moment, I wonder if it was like this in the early ICE days?

The M3 is working ok, though not without its quirks and minor issues.

Hopefully whatever you get next is reliable.
I’ve been giving other options some thought and to be honest, I think I’ve come to the conclusion that there’s not really any other EV’s that I like without spending a lot more money.

As it looks like this ID3 will have to be rejected, sadly I think I’ll end up returning to the ICE camp until other options become available and overall reliably improves. With the ID3 being a new platform, I did expect some problems, but I really can’t put up with the level of random issues I’m having and the inability of anyone to drill down to a route problem. As things stand, there doesn’t seem to be any urgency in resolving issues, which leads me to believe they (VW) haven’t got a clue what’s going on.

A sad situation, but I don’t want to wait months for a replacement, only find nothing’s improved.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,783 Posts
VW have made far more effort than Vauxhall. They've dropped all the faults I reported on the previous car so I've got to start again after thinking they were going to actually fix anything. As far as I can tell they're selling cars with the exact same faults that have been on the cars for 12 months and that dealers reported about 10 months ago. Meanwhile Honda can release a finished car in a pandemic.

If the ID.3 has been sat about I'd be tempted to charge the 12v for a few hours with a smart charger and see if all the weird stuff disappears.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I’ve been giving other options some thought and to be honest, I think I’ve come to the conclusion that there’s not really any other EV’s that I like without spending a lot more money.

As it looks like this ID3 will have to be rejected, sadly I think I’ll end up returning to the ICE camp until other options become available and overall reliably improves. With the ID3 being a new platform, I did expect some problems, but I really can’t put up with the level of random issues I’m having and the inability of anyone to drill down to a route problem. As things stand, there doesn’t seem to be any urgency in resolving issues, which leads me to believe they (VW) haven’t got a clue what’s going on.

A sad situation, but I don’t want to wait months for a replacement, only find nothing’s improved.
That is a shame but I can understand where you are coming from. I would like to go EV with my next car but there is currently nothing out there that meets my budget and requirements.

Would you consider a PHEV like the Golf GTE? Whilst more complicated than an EV the drive train has been around a fair time and is 'proven', though I don't know how much new software the Golf 8 shares with the ID range. You may have had enough of VAG though.

At least with a PHEV you get some electric driving.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
It seems like you’re out of the frying pan and into the fire with whatever EV you choose these days. I was thinking of getting something Korean if I do reject my ID.3, but have heard plenty of horror stories about Kias and Hyundais too recently. Are modern ICE cars as problematic, or is it just EVs?

I’m sure someone will be along in a bit to say that Leafs never go wrong... haha
Some manufacturers are just rubbish at EVs.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Meanwhile, both my dacia sandero's and my 110k ampera purr along without fault :)

Reactions: Talaipwros
1 - 20 of 124 Posts