Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Today’s disastrous outing - yet more issues

14K views 123 replies 28 participants last post by  6652 
#1 · (Edited)
I really want to like this car, but it’s making things very difficult. I’m not trying to be negative, so please don’t give me a hard time about being an ID3 basher, I’m not, I’m just loosing the will to persevere.

Apart from the key / lock issues detailed previously - today, the cars really excelled in pissing me off.

Early into my journey, I noticed an increasing button lag, when doing anything (tone came at least a second later and this gradually increased). After about 15 minutes, the infotainment system, just shut down completely and I got various messages about things not being available. 10 minutes later it completely rebooted and seemed to go through the initial setup process. Sat Nav data lost, CarPlay no longer configured etc. I also got a message on the cockpit screen, which I think was telling me the lights were set for left hand drive mode (not sure).

If the above wasn’t enough, the exact same thing happened again about 20 minutes later.

There’s clearly a major issue somewhere - it almost seems like the system is getting overloaded. I’m at a loss what to do, I like the car, but I’m just totally fed up with the never ending problems

See less See more
#5 ·
Considering how much actual use you've had it's failed immediately like this I'd just dump it back at the dealer and reject it. If it's leased then I think you have to reject the vehicle to the lease company. It's their car so I'd assume they'd have a process.

Manufacturers need to realise they can't get away with releasing dodgy vehicles on customers and expecting them to put up with them.

#6 ·
I’d agree yours is a car that just needs to be rejected and replaced/refunded.

I know you’re saying the dealer isn’t to blame, but the fact they’ve tried to fob you off with the ‘7 reports before VW will do anything’ approach is not really on.

Did they update it to 2.1 as well?

The ID.3 is a good car when it works as intended, yours isn’t, and therefore it’s not a good one.

I think you’ve said in previous posts that they’ve had it in for inspection/attempted repair, that’s clearly failed, so get rid.

Don’t post about it on here, just do it! 👍🙂

#8 ·
I think you have been plenty patient enough. I would decide what you want (ie reject and either replacement or refund), write down all the issues you have had, then back to the dealer and politely tell them you are rejecting the car. Probably worth reviewing exactly what the rules say about rejecting a vehicle so they don't try and palm you off.

#9 ·
Yeah, I must say, my ID.3 currently only has a small fraction of the issues yours does, and I'm still fairly close to giving up on it and rejecting. I would definitely reject it in your case. Something just ain't right with your ID.3... I've read about plenty of issues people have had with the ID.3, but it's usually just one or two at a time. Yours has every ID.3 fault I've ever heard of, plus a whole load of new ones on top! 😬

#13 ·
I’ve spent time chasing strange and inconsistent problems with digital systems before. Faulty modules, bad wiring, dodgy connectors, throw in software issues and it can be really hard to work out where the issue is. This isn’t EV specific. I had a 2008 diesel Fiesta that had intermittent engine problems that seemingly nobody could fix.

Most often dealer workshops are relying on error codes reported by the car, randomly replacing and or upgrading modules with no understanding of where the problem is.

#15 ·
As an unrelated example.... I sometimes work with enterprise IT networks and come across buggy behaviour. My diagnostic skills are good enough that I often identify where the problem is and can accurately describe it. It then takes another level of specific expertise to dig into that equipment to work out what’s going wrong.

when that works out, it’s great. The problem comes when you can’t reliably recreate the problem, which means there’s nothing for the dev team to go on. We can all agree there’s a problem but that’s not enough to get anywhere. Sometimes the number of variables is too great. Shoddy code makes this more likely.

#17 ·
VW have made far more effort than Vauxhall. They've dropped all the faults I reported on the previous car so I've got to start again after thinking they were going to actually fix anything. As far as I can tell they're selling cars with the exact same faults that have been on the cars for 12 months and that dealers reported about 10 months ago. Meanwhile Honda can release a finished car in a pandemic.

If the ID.3 has been sat about I'd be tempted to charge the 12v for a few hours with a smart charger and see if all the weird stuff disappears.

#48 ·
Reject it already.
Remember to say that problems started immediately after purchase and were present from thestart, thus it is a rejection of a faulty product and Not a warranty issue.
Thankfully, our statutory rights say that it’s squarely down to the supplier to prove a fault wasn’t present at point of delivery than ours to prove it was......and a dealer PDI sheet full of ticks won’t suffice.

#31 ·
This is the biggest problem. If the EV you have chosen doesn't work there's not exactly a massive choice of others that do exactly the same thing.

i3 is no good as boot is too small and stupid doors. Mini has doors missing, small range, no heated steering wheel and small boot. Mazda thing has stupid doors, but big boot but useless range. Honda E has all the doors but tiny boot and small range. E 2008 I don't think you can get for love nor money. Corsa/E208 etc are quite small in the back and software issues haven't been sorted still so there's the Citroen EC4 thing which is quite expensive but has a much smaller range than the id.3.

KIa Niro is good size but PTC heater debacle. Kona has smaller boot but battery recall. Soul EV is still only in the one trim but it doens't have front parking sensors. Again boot is marginal for a family car. Rear passenger space is good if it's anything like the early ones.

It's not easy to find an alternative which is why the cockroach Leaf is always a possible as it does generally just work but you need the 60 leaf to get the range of the 45kWh other cars in winter.

#35 ·
Of course EV’s don’t necessarily need to be highly software oriented cars. A battery and electric motor drive doesn’t have to be a complex software entity.
Most Manufacturers have largely followed Tesla down the complex autonomous driving, complex infotainment route and launched without the software development competency and testing in place.
Would be interesting if more went down the simple, less software, cheaper route at least until more standards developed.

#39 ·
Like the e-Golf then? 😂

I’d have been very happy with a 50kWh e-Golf, but understand it was time for a platform that could be further developed as we move into an EV age.

NCAP is driving a lot of the software changes in all cars now, if you want a 5* safety rating anyway.

#36 ·
I wonder how much of these new software intensive systems are general safety requirements these days and not EV specific. It may well be that if you were to design and build a brand new ICE car now, it’ll still have to abide by latest requirements and be equally glitchy in doing so.

im not saying there are not EV specific issues, only that they are issues associated with developing tech on top of the rest of the stuff that would affect all cars.

#41 ·
@Tooks is correct in pointing out that the ID.3 is a completely new platform using entirely new software in a new language running on different hardware. It is the way forwards for the whole of VAG and a number of other manufacturers so there is a lot riding on it. It is in the interest of all EV supporters and the environment that they do so, not so much for VW but because if not the transition from ICE will be slowed down.

#45 ·
Then again ‘It is in the interest of all EV supporters and the environment’ that major car manufacturers don’t rush out unready unstable products which give EVs a bad name in the marketplace...
My point above is that Tesla competition has also shaped the development and marketing approach of the likes of VW. Going the ‘‘futuristic’ high tech, highly software dependent route. They didn’t necessarily have to go the full hog in that direction at this stage. Many would have been happy with half hog :0)

#60 ·
R Symons did a video of the range of the different i3 models recently. Worth a look.

Looks like it’s a ‘mixed driving’ route, which I think is a pointless way of showing range. If you’re bimbling around town, you’re unlikely to max out your range anyway, where you care about range is going on a long trip. You’re going to do most of those miles at national speed limit speeds, so you want to know how far it will go in those conditions. Not how many trips you can make to the post office before you have to plug it into your wall charger.

#61 ·
Of course, there are many, many more totally happy owners of ID3's than unhappy ones. It is unfortunate that forums such as this get dominated by a few people always complaining about the car, rather than the happy majority. It is ever thus.

#63 ·
I'm not suggesting that any complaints are 'spurious'. I was just saying that for people to reject buying the ID3 because they have been reading about problems brought up by a relatively few badly affected owners on this forum is a shame. Forums, as you know, are never filled with owners praising their cars.

#64 ·
People have more to discuss about faults - causes, solutions etc. It's as simple as that.

There's not much interest to be had in someone posting every week to say "another week of trouble free motoring".

I think there's some genuine love for this ID3 - why else would those people with the most/worst faults still be persevering rather than kicking the car to the kerb?

#72 ·
No car forum is ‘balanced’. People commonly want advice on issues that are causing them a problem. And the fact is ID3 is new and has had a problematic launch. Software problems were flagged months before launch from insiders and they proved accurate. They seem thankfully 6 months later to be resolving most of them.
Ps. Apologism and diversion away from VW owning the mess re the launch of an unready car is a totally different subject.

#81 ·
Forums magnify problems but they do the same with solutions as other owners can say 'yes, mine does this and the solution I've found is to do Y and it's better'

CD audio in cars was terrible. Damp cold weather and the CD wouldn't read due to condensation! USB sticks were a revelation :)

#82 ·
Forums magnify problems but they do the same with solutions as other owners can say 'yes, mine does this and the solution I've found is to do Y and it's better'

CD audio in cars was terrible. Damp cold weather and the CD wouldn't read due to condensation! USB sticks were a revelation :)
What about cassette tapes? I remember getting a new car with a Blaupunkt something or other head unit that had the facility to ‘skip’ to the next track on the cassette. Only took the press of a button and about a minute. Screens are a minor distraction compared to faffing about changing a cassette whilst on the move. And I know I shouldn’t have, before anybody says anything!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.