Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mk7 Golf GTI !!

Actually was last night. Popped out into town, got to the traffic lights @ red outside my estate. A few cars joined behind me and then a white hot hatch looking car pulled into the right lane and slowed to a roll, obviously attempting to get a rolling start.

Now this is a 200ish yard dash then right lane filters back into the left lane back to one single lane. He misjudged and actually was virtually at a stop, maybe doing 1 mph when he got level with me and at that instant the lights changed to Amber.

I was already in Sport mode so I floored it. Whoosh.........I was flying and he was chasing. at the end of the 200 yard run his nose was actually about 2ft behind out Volt's rear bumper so he was forced to yeild.

At the next lights 500 yards away i pulled into the left lane and he pulled aside into the straight on lane.

I peared over my shoulder and saw a very puzzeled looking driver of a 64 plate white Golf GTI (GTI badges and red strip on front grill). He was reading the "Volt" badge on the fornt wing and had a pride hurt "WTF" look on his face.

The only thing I don't know is if he was manual of DSG box. But either way was awsome fun winning that little race. Got home beaming in only the EV instant torque way you dont get with ICE.

M

How do you edit thread titles? I forgot the "R" n Prix

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, that is your insurance invalidated!
Ha. Speed limit on that run is 30 mph that changes to 40 mph 100 yards after the lights. by the time the race was over was @ 39 mph max. No laws broken. Nothing in law states how slow you must accelerate to the legal limit.

That's the beauty of short traffic light races in the EV, they remain within the speed limits as they are all about the 0-30 dash.

M

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Polestar 2
386 Posts
It'd be interesting to try it in an E-Golf... I reckon the EV is slower than the ICE - certainly the figures suggest so to 60 (but maybe not 40)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Ha. Speed limit on that run is 30 mph that changes to 40 mph 100 yards after the lights. by the time the race was over was @ 39 mph max. No laws broken. Nothing in law states how slow you must accelerate to the legal limit.

That's the beauty of short traffic light races in the EV, they remain within the speed limits as they are all about the 0-30 dash.

M
My insurance specificly states no racing or time trials, if you check I think you will find yours does too, I have never seen a policy that does not.

A friend did the same as you but the car on the outside shunted him onto the pavement then crashed into an island bollard. When the police took statements witnesses reported the race and his insurance company declined all claims. £thousands.

Insurance companies seek any reason not to pay out.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
What EXACTLY did Volt69 do that was in violation of the highway code or classed as driving as a danger to other road users or without due care & attention?

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My insurance specificly states no racing or time trials, if you check I think you will find yours does too, I have never seen a policy that does not.

A friend did the same as you but the car on the outside shunted him onto the pavement then crashed into an island bollard. When the police took statements witnesses reported the race and his insurance company declined all claims. £thousands.

Insurance companies seek any reason not to pay out.
The way I see it the the car ahead is driving ( however fast within the speed limit) and the car behind trying to get past the one racing!

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I also never race as it is crazy to do so but virtually every day find that I leave lesser cars way behind as I glide away rapidly from lights.
Have you noticed the way that EV's can accelerate rapidly to the legal limit then flatten out with very little fuss.
An ICE with all its thrashing and revving tends to have too much inertia and would need to brake for a similar speed.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Just happened upon this thread and found it quite funny :)
Surely its going a bit far to say they were racing simply because the car behind was trying to overtake as they pulled away from the lights?!!? On that premise I would guess that there are approx. 3,570,241 road races every day around the country! Surely every time you pull away from the lights, somebody has to 'win' as otherwise we all drive around equidistant to each other the whole time!

Haha, sorry, I just had a funny situation play itself out in my head and stupidly thought I'd share it. I'll go back in my little hole now :)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Agree with @Alexander Sims. Can you imagine any of this going to court? As I said in #11 above, unless you're breaking the speed limit or driving recklessly (and we're talking a straight line here)...then the term 'racing' is purely subjective.

I had a similar incident last week with an Audi; the guy was DETERMINED to get past me and the only way he was able to do so was to HUGELY exceed the speed limit AND to encroach into the other lane. I could have perhaps forced him to continue on the other side of the road but that would have endangered other road users; I simply pulled off the throttle and let him by. It's all very well having a bit of safe fun but ONLY if it's safe to do so.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Agree with @Alexander Sims. Can you imagine any of this going to court? As I said in #11 above, unless you're breaking the speed limit or driving recklessly (and we're talking a straight line here)...then the term 'racing' is purely subjective.

I had a similar incident last week with an Audi; the guy was DETERMINED to get past me and the only way he was able to do so was to HUGELY exceed the speed limit AND to encroach into the other lane. I could have perhaps forced him to continue on the other side of the road but that would have endangered other road users; I simply pulled off the throttle and let him by. It's all very well having a bit of safe fun but ONLY if it's safe to do so.
Ahh....... Now that's not racing , that is a completely different game called "chicken" , which was mentioned earlier as causing an accident and refused insurance. Not my game chicken, unless on the inside lane with heavy traffic coming the opposite way. But being in the outside lane I will always lose a game of chicken because I have no desire to have a head on crash.

M

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I was in the inside lane with heavy traffic coming the other way whilst the right lane had to merge. Idiots like that are a danger to themselves; unfortunately they are also a danger to others so I let him in, only for him to carry on his craziness and carried on overtaking others, doing 60+ in a 40 zone. I've just installed a dash cam app. If I'd been recording the burke I may have been tempted to hand it to 'the feds' (to use yoof parlance).

A more common scenario for us to debate:

You are at the lights in the left hand lane. A car pulls up to your right. It's either 2 lanes or the right lane is soon going to merge. Do you:

A) Let the car go past you, even if they're not quicker away from the lights than you, because they are in the overtaking lane.....or..
B) not grant automatic right of passage and accelerate away, up to the speed limit and if that means 'undercutting' the other car then so be it?

"What do you do? "What do you do hotshot?"

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I was in the inside lane with heavy traffic coming the other way whilst the right lane had to merge. Idiots like that are a danger to themselves; unfortunately they are also a danger to others so I let him in, only for him to carry on his craziness and carried on overtaking others, doing 60+ in a 40 zone. I've just installed a dash cam app. If I'd been recording the burke I may have been tempted to hand it to 'the feds' (to use yoof parlance).

A more common scenario for us to debate:

You are at the lights in the left hand lane. A car pulls up to your right. It's either 2 lanes or the right lane is soon going to merge. Do you:

A) Let the car go past you, even if they're not quicker away from the lights than you, because they are in the overtaking lane.....or..
B) not grant automatic right of passage and accelerate away, up to the speed limit and if that means 'undercutting' the other car then so be it?

"What do you do? "What do you do hotshot?"
That depends on the mood I am in.
Sometimes I go with A, but these days it's mostly B :D

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Does it depend what music is playing at the time?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts