Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there. Congratulations on getting your Kona.
I hope you've familiarised yourself with rapid chargers, or are you a seasoned EV owner?
Nope, my first EV!

I've setup up...
  • zapmap and zap-pay
  • InstaVolt (which I understand is expensive but very reliable)
  • podpoint
  • osprey
  • chargepoint
  • pb pulse

I've not subscribed to any yet, just going to see how contactless credit/debit card payments goes.

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Nope, my first EV!

I've setup up...
  • zapmap and zap-pay
  • podpoint
  • osprey
  • chargepoint
  • pb pulse

I've not subscribed to any yet, just going to see how contactless credit/debit card payments goes.

Welcome to the Kona, club, I love mine and have just done a 600 mile trip followed by a 450 mile trip. Next is a 900 mile trip. I don't rely too much on the inbuilt Nav cos it doesn't show all charging places, Zap Map is better but I've found a lot of places it lists as public charge points are business premises and are not for public use. But both together they are great tools. Chargemaster and BP pulse have to be the worst, they are either not working or of the old type that you need an RFID card to activate. Try downloading the Shell app, they have quite a few superchargers not listed on the maps, but you'll need to send off for a card via the app (free) to activate them. Finally, pod point, mostly in car parks, supermarkets, aldi, lidl, again, download an app, a lot of pod points are 'free vend' (free leccy) but usually only on 3kw. To use the faster ones, you need to credit the app using a debit card first, I think the minimum was £15. Oh.. and if there's a crap phone signal, it gets frustrating waving your phone in the air like its 1990.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Nope, my first EV!

I've setup up...
  • zapmap and zap-pay
  • podpoint
  • osprey
  • chargepoint
  • pb pulse

That's a treat for a first EV, some of us had to cope with a used Leaf!
Sounds like you're well prepared, a few pointers just in case -

-Chargepoint RFIDs work on Instavolt, handy when the phone signal is poor. Used to be free from them. Similarly NewMotion.
-If you're charging at home get a cheap charging tariff like Octopus Go.
Be prepared for significantly less range in rain, even in summer.

·
Registered
788 Posts
A Better Route Planner is useful for planning road trips. In Zap-Map, I set the filter to show only contactless chargers as I refuse to use RFID's and apps (you don't need them for fossil juice). My favourites are Instavolt and Osprey. Always reliable, good phone response if you have an issue, and usually at nice leisure centres or pubs. :)
One app I do use is Pod-Point as I have one of their home chargers, and they do free charging at Tesco stores.

·
Registered
Account Abandoned
2,535 Posts
Welcome great choice of car

All I will say on charging is if there is an instavolt near where you want to charge pick that over other options

Not the cheapest but pay by contactless fast and most of all reliable and normally placed in pairs so more chance of being available

Just enjoy the car it's great

·
Registered
180 Posts
Great advice for newbie from everyone. One further bit. Don't run your battery down too low, give yourself some reserve just in case you experience my predicament. Visiting Oxford for the day and found the chargemaster wasn't working at Oxford Park and ride (Seacourt) and hasn't been for 2 years.
Luckily the Kona had plenty of juice to get us back to our hotel iin the Cotswolds... but.. what if the hotel chargers were fully utilised? So stopped of at motorway supercharger to find some prat had dropped the connector of the only charger that was working, on the floor instead of putting it back into the holder, breaking it, so it wouldn't lock in to the Kona. Can you imagine anyone not putting a petrol pump nozzle back into a pump after filling up and just throwing it on the ground!!
So onto the next service area. This was working fine. Charged up to 93% while having a coffee and bite to eat, got back to hotel and found all the charging bays (free charge) being used by plug in hybrids. Next morning they were still there blocking the charge points!!! Luckily I'd had the foresight to use the motorway charger the night before so wasn't stuck or stressed about range.
Ioncity chargers at Cambridge services on the M11 have quite a few rapid chargers at an eye watering 70p per KW. However they do work and boy are they fast. The charger even texts you to let you know when you've reached 80% and then at 100%.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Welcome great choice of car

All I will say on charging is if there is an instavilt near where you want to charge pick that over other iptions

Not the cheapest but pay by contact less fast and most of all reliable and normally placed in pairs so more chance of being available

Just enjoy the car it's great
I agree, instavolt are great for contact less, always seem to work, not the cheapest but far cheaper than most and cheaper than dinosaur juice.

·
Registered
Account Abandoned
2,535 Posts
Forgot to add, Re Navigation, in the UK you cant update it yourself (Officially) it has to go to the dealer for map and infotainment updates, unofficially if you dont mind downloading large files (25gb+) and waiting to install in the car for 30mins by USB then yes you can get the files from users who download and share. There is a thread on the forum about media updates that leads to the site where they can be found

·
Registered
180 Posts
I use the navigation app 'Waze' (free) via the android play on the infotainment screen. It is fabulous not only navigates and plays my Spotify music but alerts me to speed cameras, hazards on the roads such as broken down vehicles, heavy traffic, accidents etc. Highly recommended

1 - 15 of 15 Posts