Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read this letter regarding Bedford's Riverside North car park. IIRC this is a tiny little one right next to several multi-storeys, so moving it wholly over to disabled and EV parking/charging only seems like a good idea to me.

I know that there needs to be lots more charging points for electric vehicles in the future. I do think, though, that the Borough has gone over the top in the provision being installed in the car park on Riverside North.

The current surface markings indicate five spaces for vehicles displaying a disabled badge with the rest for electrical vehicle charging only.

This includes the space which is marked “For taxis only” – do we have any electric taxis in the Borough who could use that space?

Apparently, there will be no spaces for those whose cars are neither plug-in or carrying someone with a blue badge.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
646 Posts
I can see this getting to be a common complaint. Especially if local authorities get ahead of the curve, and install abundant infrastructure before the demand is there.

ICE drivers can be forgiven for thinking ‘they’ve taken my favourite parking space away and put in all these chargers, and I’ve never seen anyone plugged in’.

There are 6 InstaVolt near me, at a drive thru Costa. It can get very busy - especially during lockdown - and often the chargers are completely empty and the rest of the car park full. Miraculously I’ve never seen one iced.

·
Registered
367 Posts
if we ever get to ‘abundant’ they can remove any ‘ev only’ part and let anyone park anywhere if there are chargers in tons of bays. Until then this seems a logical approach - batch them up where you can do the infrastructure bit once rather than a couple of bays in every car park

Its possible this complaint is from someone that really likes using that tiny car park and its convenient for them. But more likely its just someone complaining for the sake of it and at perceived loss of access when it isn’t really

1 - 3 of 3 Posts