• E-Rider Model 75

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My inner-city employer has a car park where cars are banned and bikes are allowed. This is the motivating factor for investing in a city e-bike of some kind.

The specifications I need appear to be at the boundary between e-moped and e-motorcycle. I need it to complete, between overnight charges, at most 30 miles on roads limited to 50mph.

I dislike pushing any vehicle to its top speed because some reserve power might be needed to dodge a lunatic. This constraint rules out most e-mopeds.

Hearsay suggests only the smallest helmet fits inside the E-Rider seat storage; I cannot find any specifications on the Zero ZF7.2 storage size; and the BMW is the size of a small car.

Tips please.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Of the three above it's a very easy choice, go with a Zero, by far and away the most similar to riding an ICE bike. The reviews of the E75 are crap, best avoided, The BMW is £14k new, a lot of money, leaving the Zero as the best all round choice, in my opinion.

Having said that and having test ridden the Zero range over the summer I've gone for the FXS 7.2, it's definitely the cream of the crop as an urban tool, with a higher seating position giving a far better allround view of the road ahead while making the rider that bit more visible to other traffic too. Without the traditional noise of an ICE bike it is noticeable that other drivers are less aware that you are there, so anything that makes you more easily seen in my book is a bonus.

No, I couldn't get a lid in the false tank, but then I've got a big head, so it may be possible. My advice would be to contact Alec at http://www.englishelectricmotorco.com/ for further advice in this regard. I'm positive he'll be able to answer your questions, he definitely knows his stuff. Can't you carry your lid with you into work?

Do be aware that different bikes even from the same manufacturer fall under various motorcycle licence requirements. Again, the above website has a breakdown of the requirements under the "what can I ride" section detailing the specific licence needs of each model.

I do a similar commute, 16 miles each way, recharging at night from a normal wall socket and 3 pin plug which gives me a fully charged bike at the start of every day. Perfect. I always have over 30% range left at the end of the day and I ride like a lunatic 😆

Having ridden ICE bikes for over 30 years Ive found the FXS an absolute hoot and it always draws lots of attention and curious questions from other riders, an increasing amount of them being very supportive.

Both the Missenden Flyer and Royal Jordanian give Zero bikes a big thumbs up on their Youtube channels. Well worth seeking out if you haven't seen them already.

Lastly, insurance is subjective, but I got an excellent deal from Bennetts, better than the bike I replaced so that's a win in my book.

·
Registered
26 Posts
One last point.

Just like EV cars, all the torque is available from the get go. There are no traction aides on the Zero bikes, it's all down to judicious use of your throttle hand, the way it should be in my book, but if you haven't ridden before or are coming from ICE bikes it's a noticeable difference that needs to be caliberated into your thought process.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts