Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back again seeking more help. The truck company I was planning on using for exporting my car are being a pain. I'm looking at heading over myself to collect the car and drive back on Saturday. Looking like it will take 4 fast charges on the bounce and then hoping to use Dragon charging in Fishguard, normal charge and then two more fast charges on the way home from Rosslare ( Ireland )

Will the 4 fast charges on the bounce be detrimental to the battery?

Is the Ecotricity network reliable or should I used something else? Looks like I can just install the app, register my card and pay as I topup which should be very handy.....

All input appreciated.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Back again seeking more help. The truck company I was planning on using for exporting my car are being a pain. I'm looking at heading over myself to collect the car and drive back on Saturday. Looking like it will take 4 fast charges on the bounce and then hoping to use Dragon charging in Fishguard, normal charge and then two more fast charges on the way home from Rosslare ( Ireland )

Will the 4 fast charges on the bounce be detrimental to the battery?

Is the Ecotricity network reliable or should I used something else? Looks like I can just install the app, register my card and pay as I topup which should be very handy.....

All input appreciated.

View attachment 123759
Just do what needs to be done. I had 4 charges on the hottest day and battery temperature hit 11th bar. The 4th charge was 20kW rather.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
986 Posts
I would try to be as close as 20% or below at charging station. I read somewhere that (for the 40kw) if you wait 5 to 10min after charging to allow the battery to cool down a bit it will allow you to travel further without trouble.
When I went to London 1,5 yrs ago I charged 5 times and got to London with the temperature just under the red. But that was because I didn't knew the car that well and charged more frequently than I should have.
You should be able to make at least 80 miles (128 km) between charges.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I've driven similar route on M4, N London to N Somerset, once in a 24kWh Leaf for shiz and giggles. I drive this route regularly in a dirty diesel.

Always have plan B.

There is a Moto Reading service, use Ikea as plan B.
The Moto Leigh Delamere service only has a single charger, not the best place to stop with only 25%, when next charger is in Bristol. I'd top-up at Welcome Break Membury, treat Leigh Delamere as plan B.
I see before your Newport Holiday inn Express, there's a Roadchef Magor. Worth calling in at Roadchef and leave Holiday inn as plan B.
Finally, a 4th charge in depth of Wales.

Generally, Chademo on Ecotricity is pretty reliable.
Battery temperature is your only concern. If it's nearing red, slow down slightly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've driven similar route on M4, N London to N Somerset, once in a 24kWh Leaf for shiz and giggles. I drive this route regularly in a dirty diesel.

Always have plan B.

There is a Moto Reading service, use Ikea as plan B.
The Moto Leigh Delamere service only has a single charger, not the best place to stop with only 25%, when next charger is in Bristol. I'd top-up at Welcome Break Membury, treat Leigh Delamere as plan B.
I see before your Newport Holiday inn Express, there's a Roadchef Magor. Worth calling in at Roadchef and leave Holiday inn as plan B.
Finally, a 4th charge in depth of Wales.

Generally, Chademo on Ecotricity is pretty reliable.
Battery temperature is your only concern. If it's nearing red, slow down slightly.
Thanks for that's. It's something I hadn't considered and will amend the route. I'm assuming I can add all the chargepoints as waypoints in Google Maps and that should set me straight....

·
Registered
67 Posts
The way I would put it is don't rely on any one charger you don't know well. You should have a plan B for each charger I think so that you can't fail unless you have 2 consecutive charger fails.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input. I'm not setup with Ecotricity, Polar and Geniepoint ( Wales ) Will you know how it all goes next Monday....

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Download Polar instant on your phone abs at least create an account. I've signed up with most but only used Polar sub so far (instant going forward)

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Final route is planned. Main stops in yellow and Plan B's in white. I'm sure I could have stretched them out a little further but hopefully this is fail safe. Naturally the shorter distances should allow
me to travel a little faster, I'm going to use that time to give the battery some time to cool down pre and post charging. TIme should not be an issue as I've a long wait for the ferry in Fishguard..

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Final route is planned. Main stops in yellow and Plan B's in white. I'm sure I could have stretched them out a little further but hopefully this is fail safe. Naturally the shorter distances should allow
me to travel a little faster, I'm going to use that time to give the battery some time to cool down pre and post charging. TIme should not be an issue as I've a long wait for the ferry in Fishguard..

View attachment 123798
I would suggest slowing down to 63mph rather than trying to cool the car prior to charge. That's way too many stops and is you push the speed, battery is going to be in red

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I guess it depends on how hot the battery got, and how long you want to park at a charger at Fishguard.
If you drive at 70mph only to plug in to slow charger, I think your are better off driving slower to reduce temperature buildup.

Leaf takes good rest overnight to move to red to 8 bars (Sheffield with ambient temperature 17C). It cool further sitting the day and driving at 63 C and I rapid didn't b push it back into red during return leg

- Leaf 30 kWh

1 - 20 of 30 Posts