Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree drive more slowly. Means less heat build up from driving, more time to cool after charging and overall will be using less electrons which equals less charging and therefore less heat.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
My question was more to do with something else @Hermit Dave
If the battery cools down while pluigged to a 3kw charger would be more efficient than just sitting unplugged.
charging generates heat (even at 3kW).. Adding active input while trying to passively dissipate already hot pack might be counter productive

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
@dmoran15, please let us know how you get on.

Resistive rate of heat production is proportional to the square of the charging current, so for a give number of Ah (or kWh) of charge, the total heat produced is proportional to the charging current. Therefore if you halve the charging rate, the amount of heat produced is also halved, and also because you are taking twice as long to charge there is more time for heat to be dissipated into the surroundings. Maybe an argument for keeping existing DC chargers for those with longer stops instead of replacing them with superchargers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
When I drove my Leaf 24 home from Cambridge to Carlisle I charged it 12 times in one day.
(The tyres were soft and the tracking was out so it was not giving its best and I planned it so that if a charger was not working I had enough power to get to the next one. I was also worried about Lancaster to Penrith over Shap so stopped for a charge two times more than I planned.)
It was cold, about 6 to 10 degrees over the day, and after the 10th charge the temperature indicator rose to five bars. By the eleventh charge it had dropped back to four bars. It did take me 12 1/2 hours! :rolleyes:
Maybe little and often is the secret to keeping a cool battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Back safe and sound....I ended up not making my hotel and it took 24 hours door to door. The battery heat looked like it was 2 bars off hitting the red so I decided to wait an hour before and after charging at one or two stops. I've since heard there no need to I could have got some proper kip in a hotel bed instead of the front of the car. Really impressed with the car, drove to work today at 1C and still have 67% battery left so I should be good only having to charge in work and not at home. Next step is to figure out which App to download so that I can check on charging status and to see if I can heat the car remotely. Any suggestions appreciated...

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Back safe and sound....I ended up not making my hotel and it took 24 hours door to door. The battery heat looked like it was 2 bars off hitting the red so I decided to wait an hour before and after charging at one or two stops. I've since heard there no need to I could have got some proper kip in a hotel bed instead of the front of the car. Really impressed with the car, drove to work today at 1C and still have 67% battery left so I should be good only having to charge in work and not at home. Next step is to figure out which App to download so that I can check on charging status and to see if I can heat the car remotely. Any suggestions appreciated...
You'd need to call You+Nissan and get your account set up (they need sales invoice)

Once you have account set up, you can use Nissan EV app though you are better off using My Leaf app.

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
57 Posts
You'd need to call You+Nissan and get your account set up (they need sales invoice)

Once you have account set up, you can use Nissan EV app though you are better off using My Leaf app.
I bought a 2017 leaf this month and was able to register it on-line, I had to go into the car and approve it on the touchscreen but didn't need to contact nissan or any documentation.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I bought a 2017 leaf this month and was able to register it on-line, I had to go into the car and approve it on the touchscreen but didn't need to contact nissan or any documentation.
It's possible that the car was deregistered prior to sale.

- Leaf 30 kWh

21 - 30 of 30 Posts