Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Tool to top-up different amounts with Polar Instant

9K views 78 replies 33 participants last post by  jivemonkey 
#1 · (Edited)
I have found that the fixed options of £20 or £40 that Polar Instant offers for topping up your account are too rigid. Want to top up £30 or £25, or even £100? No go.

I made a little "bookmarklet" javascript tool that is hosted on one of my pages below (you can't add javascript in this forum!). The code is pretty basic and could probably be improved a lot, but it works.

Test code is here: Top-Up Amount Changer

EDIT2: Some people have said that they got an error message when trying to use lower amounts, but recently others have succeeded. Perhaps validation was put in, then taken out again for some reason (like too few signups!)

#8 ·
:oops: Answered my own question and cost myself an unwanted £15 in testing....

Doesn't work in OSX Safari browser. Additional info: polar instant doesn't supply a final invoice page to confirm the amount, or go to 3D-secure authentication confirming the amount its taking and asking for pasword with your card company. When you enter the card details and click pay, er..... you've paid. £20, that is, not the £5 I was hoping.

I really was hoping they'd confirm how much they're taking after getting card details, or at least have chance to cancel at the 3D-Secure dialog. Nope, ker-ching! :p

Google Chrome on OSX might work, I see what's supposed to happen now. When you fire the javascript it overwrites the value in the box with the value you've selected. Good luck.

#16 ·
You & me the same, PaulMorris. Oh well can't win them all.

Must say it was strange not to have a 'final amount' page before the transaction went through.

At least I'm getting a good selection of cards now, ('when' the 'source east' one turns up!),

I think I have all I'll need.

#17 ·
I got a final amount showing as £5 on the button that was £20 before, then they sent me an email to confirm the £5 amount. Hopefully the card will turn up in the next few days. I'd say if the amount on the button didn't change to £5 it probably didn't work. Will report back if and when mine turns up, but my card has only been debited £5 according to the bank.

#18 ·
I have done this previously and can confirm the £5 charge and the card arriving in the post a few days later. Yet to use it though!

Reactions: Bikerchickone
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.