Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Leaf 24Kw
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

What are your recommendations for charging apps / accounts for the UK?

So far I have;

Ecotricity
GeniePoint
Newmotion
Pod-Point

Iv'e used InstaVolt but they are easy and just a swipe of any debit card :)

Are there any 'must haves' or other useful apps you think its worth installing?

Cheers

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Polar recently changed their pricing structure and now have a reliable app (previous versions were a bit flaky, apparently). Since the change, Polar Instant is really competitive with a maximum charge of 25p/kWh. You need to draw at least 5kWh on a single charge to cover the minimum charge of £1.20. (It's hardly worth stopping for less than that! :))

·
Evezy referral code: d4113
201 Posts
I must have 19 apps (and links to website portals i.e. Engie) on my phone just for charging/chargers. I'm completely confused at what you need, what you don't need, what works with what, what piggy backs what, who's RFID cards can work with who's network etc . Thank God for home charging and Instavolt in the Dales and Lakes

Reactions: cpcnw

·
Registered
2014 Leaf 24Kw
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yep, Booths are putting InstaVolt at all their stores. If you live in the North its a god send. So easy too :)

·
Registered
2014 Leaf 24Kw
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
@Paul Hopwood - I agree its one of the barriers to adoption! Lets hope others take a leaf out of InstaVolt's book!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Polar recently changed their pricing structure and now have a reliable app (previous versions were a bit flaky, apparently). Since the change, Polar Instant is really competitive with a maximum charge of 25p/kWh.
Some of the inherited DBT chargers are not accessible on Polar Instant (and they also do not accept contactless). For the ones initially installed by Worcestershire County Council I use my CYC RFID card.
'Charge Your Car' as well, this will cover Charge Place Scotland too, the majority of chargers in Scotland are managed by CPS.
It may be worth getting a CYC RFID card (£20/year) if you are doing a lot of travelling in Scotland as it is reported that in some locations the mobile signal can be a bit flakey.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,611 Posts
It may be worth getting a CYC RFID card (£20/year) if you are doing a lot of travelling in Scotland as it is reported that in some locations the mobile signal can be a bit flakey.
Aye as my local one in Crieff (installed in a location that used to have a flakey signal), but the destination chargers alongside can be started and stopped with the app so it must be rapid never had the comms installed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts