Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cast and crew of TV’s Top Gear had to abandon their cars at the roadside and flee Argentina after being pelted with stones by an angry crowd.

The attack happened after it emerged they were using a vehicle with a number plate apparently referring to the Falklands war.

That vehicle – a Porsche with the registration number H982 FKL which some people suggested could refer to the Falklands conflict of 1982 – was among those abandoned.

The BBC has denied any intended reference, saying the car was bought by a member of the production team and was entirely coincidental.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/oct/03/top-gear-argentina-jeremy-clarkson-bbc?CMP=fb_gu

http://platewave.com/H982FKL

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I'm getting a little bored with TG, the last few series I have finished watching them and thought "meh" but I always go back and watch the next episode ☺.

To be honest I'd rather just go on YouTube and watch some of the excellent car channels that I have subscribed to, particularly enjoy watching Chris Harris on cars!

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
The BBC could put this to bed by just showing the reg douments showing the car has had the same number plate from before Clarkson bought it. Guess thats to simple though:confused:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The BBC could put this to bed by just showing the reg douments showing the car has had the same number plate from before Clarkson bought it. Guess thats to simple though:confused:
I read some of the comments linked after the Guardian article from the link..The plate is legit for the car,somebody apparently checked with the DVLA..Just curious as to why they shipped UK spec/plated cars over there,when the usual format is for the guys to buy a vehicle in county..

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
More and more I find myself feeling that either the people behind the show are smart or they're not very smart at all, and if they're smart, they're not very nice at all.
Either way, i guess it won't do their viewing figures any harm at all!

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
I read some of the comments linked after the Guardian article from the link..The plate is legit for the car,somebody apparently checked with the DVLA..Just curious as to why they shipped UK spec/plated cars over there,when the usual format is for the guys to buy a vehicle in county..
I would guess the sequence of events was that some member of the production team saw the car at auction, grokked the double meaning of the number plate, and planned the whole shoot around it. Maybe they were already planning to do something in Argentina but shipping the cars out really does imply malice aforethought.

Reactions: Matt Beard

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I would guess the sequence of events was that some member of the production team saw the car at auction, grokked the double meaning of the number plate, and planned the whole shoot around it. Maybe they were already planning to do something in Argentina but shipping the cars out really does imply malice aforethought.
I'd have to agree - are there any other worldwide specials which ship UK cars out?

·
Registered
991 Posts
They've shipped UK Registered cars out to foreign climes before. The India and Africa specials are just two examples. A search on the VRN shows it has been on that vehicle for many years but I'm cynical enough to believe that the choice of that car, with that VRN was no accident.

I'm not condoning the Argentinians behaviour, but the production company clearly didn't anticipate such a strong reaction. In hindsight that should have been obvious. I was in Buenos Aires in the mid-90's and hailed a taxi. When we told the driver our desired destination was the British Embassy he stopped the car and ordered us out :eek:

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Sorry I am skeptical, as we know, the falklands are not even called that in Argentina. Can you imagine a mob of brits throwing stones at a foreign film crew just cos they had 982 MVN on the car ?? :eek:

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
I guess that gutter press is gutter press where ever you are:(

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'd have to agree - are there any other worldwide specials which ship UK cars out?
Many of their specials have involved them buying a vehicle in the country they visited..the US one,the African one,The Amazon one,the middle Eastern one..though they did bring UK cars to India,so there's a precedent..but with the popularity and significance of personalised plates or vanity plates,I dunno how a car related programme and it's presenters "missed" this..
This may be a silly 2 part question..Who exactly was driving this car? and was there anything potentially dodgy about the other cars involved?

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Many of their specials have involved them buying a vehicle in the country they visited..the US one,the African one,The Amazon one,the middle Eastern one..though they did bring UK cars to India,so there's a precedent..but with the popularity and significance of personalised plates or vanity plates,I dunno how a car related programme and it's presenters "missed" this..
They also shipped cars on the chrismas Israel special, the source on the Nile special

1 - 20 of 28 Posts