Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tonights company car test which I thought I would have to watch through my hands was a actually fairly competent.
Volvo, BMW 330e and Tesla 3LR..... Could not have predicted even a year ago that they all would say the Tesla was the best.....

So have we turned the corner, are EV's starting to become "normal"?

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
BMW are fast losing their market position and seem to be taking the wrong direction with PHEV and EV versions of ICE models rather than specific EV models to counter Tesla.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Re OP - I certainly hope we have turned a corner. Some of that crew's past "japes" around EVs were just cringeworthy even when first transmitted.

·
Registered
926 Posts
It was a shame they devised a test where they re-fueled their cars making the Tesla take ages as they were charging to 100%. As they hadn't used much of the charge, judging by the BMW only taking £17 of petrol, they had pres the Tesla presumably started charging at about 70%, If they were adding 100 miles and the car was around 20% state of charge then it would have only taken a few minutes.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,648 Posts
Its been interesting watching a lot of the mainstream auto journalists change their tune. Going from EVs being a novelty to be ridiculed to realising that most of the cars coming out are electrified in some way and they have to change their ways or they will be out of a job. They can only really play the range card these days. They are still pretty clueless in reviews on the whole but they are slowly getting better.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
BMW are fast losing their market position and seem to be taking the wrong direction with PHEV and EV versions of ICE models rather than specific EV models to counter Tesla.
Different strokes for different folks.

Some people have no desire for a special EV only model. Being able to go into a showroom and select from ICE/Hybrid/BEV variants of a particular car is a good thing IMO. It makes it more "normal". Its not some special EV spaceship. Its just a car, and happens to have an EV drivetrain.

So long as a platform is designed with electrification in mind, its fine. Plenty current models are derivatives of ICE models, including the LEAF and IONIQ/Kona/Niro etc.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Its been interesting watching a lot of the mainstream auto journalists change their tune. Going from EVs being a novelty to be ridiculed to realising that most of the cars coming out are electrified in some way and they have to change their ways or they will be out of a job. They can only really play the range card these days. They are still pretty clueless in reviews on the whole but they are slowly getting better.
Let’s be honest though, EVs have got a lot better the last few years, spurred on by Tesla so credit where credit is due.

We’re a small self selecting sample on here, we don’t need much convincing, but most car reviewers are like a lot of ordinary folk, and they remain to be convinced.

I was killing some time with colleagues as we waited for a meeting to start this morning, and Top Gear came up. They all praised the Tesla and said what was the point of a 15 mile EV range Ferrari. Help...

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Let’s be honest though, EVs have got a lot better the last few years, spurred on by Tesla so credit where credit is due.

We’re a small self selecting sample on here, we don’t need much convincing, but most car reviewers are like a lot of ordinary folk, and they remain to be convinced.

I was killing some time with colleagues as we waited for a meeting to start this morning, and Top Gear came up. They all praised the Tesla and said what was the point of a 15 mile EV range Ferrari. Help...
Clarkson himself has said similar when he reviewed one of the Tesla models and a few other EV's in recent series of GT.

First gen EV's like my LEAF30 are pretty crap. I drove 20miles to my brothers at the weekend and needed to charge it to get home comfortably ffs. Clarksons view was simply that this makes it a useless car, and i can see that point, its the same point millions of "normal" car owners also make when offered an EV with "80miles" of range...

So really, i dont blame the "clarkson" viewpoint. Its changing because the cars are now much better than they were.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
First gen EV's like my LEAF30 are pretty crap. I drove 20miles to my brothers at the weekend and needed to charge it to get home comfortably ffs.
Bit of an exaggeration ? Unless you have an anvil tied to your right foot...

I do a 37 mile commute in mine half on the motorway and I’m still getting home with around 60-70 miles left at this time of year...in fact I could easily do my commute twice on one charge and still have a buffer.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I think when this guy had his Road to Damascus moment, it was all over for the ICE:

John is a provocateur extraordinaire and that’s what people tune into his channel for. Very out of character to give a fair review to an EV ;)

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Have to say, I really enjoyed the episode. Very entertaining and it was a relief to not have the tedious "interview" segment.

The fact that they didn't quote the recharge cost for the Tesla was a shame, and I was hoping to see Camp mode being used at the end, but other than that... full marks from me.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Bit of an exaggeration ? Unless you have an anvil tied to your right foot...

I do a 37 mile commute in mine half on the motorway and I’m still getting home with around 60-70 miles left at this time of year...in fact I could easily do my commute twice on one charge and still have a buffer.
Left the house on 82-83% (wife had used it on friday for work), crap weather, heating+AC on and 20miles of motorway at 70mph. Arrived on 48%. Drove to screwfix and back(about 2.5miles round trip), 44%. Drove to screwfix and back again, 41%. Was worried about getting home so charged for an hour and that took it to 49%. Drove home and arrived with 8%

It really was a very generic day, wasnt driving like a loon or anything other than doing 70mph. It really did just eat 80% battery in 40miles.

·
Registered
353 Posts
This is the thing. If people look at single trips then yes EVs are great almost regardless of rsnge so long as you keep within that range but as soon as you start driving around like you would with an ICE and make unexpected journeys etc then you're screwed if you have a short range EV. It's why I waited 3 years for a Niro type car even though my wife was bugging me to get a Leaf. 95% of our journeys are under 100 miles per day which a leaf could easily do but having that extra 100 miles in my back pocket means I have zero range anxiety. Charge every 3rd or 4th day. Keep my battery below 80% and only charge to full when I know I'm gonna be making a long trip. In the meantime I drive the car like it has petrol in it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
First gen EV's like my LEAF30 are pretty crap. I drove 20miles to my brothers at the weekend and needed to charge it to get home comfortably ffs. Clarksons view was simply that this makes it a useless car, and i can see that point, its the same point millions of "normal" car owners also make when offered an EV with "80miles" of range...
Either your battery is fooked, or you like to drive everywhere "white van man" style and 15 of those 20 miles was flat out at 90mph or faster, or a combination of both.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts