Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Predictably Last night's Top Gear's ridiculous test of 3 EV's ended with them proving that when the GOM's on EV's show that there isn't enough range to get to the destination without charging that that is exactly what happens! A much more useful test would have been to set them a challenge to get to their destination in the shortest amount of time with a charging stop included.

·
Registered
Audi Q4 40 S line. VW ID4 GTX (on order)
163 Posts
Annoyingly that episode will be used by the anti EV brigade.

"90k electric cars can't even do 100 miles"

P poor from Top Gear if you ask me, they had a chance to promote EVs while still taking the pee.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,594 Posts
Predictably Last night's Top Gear's ridiculous test of 3 EV's ended with them proving that when the GOM's on EV's show that there isn't enough range to get to the destination without charging that that is exactly what happens!
Not strictly true - it showed that in one case but in the other two cases it showed:
  1. that if you change your driving style (ditch the caravan) then your range increases considerably.
  2. in the case of the Polestar if you are at the limit of your GOM range then ascend a 1,000 ft incline towing a caravan the previously shown GOM range proves to be optimistic
Watched as a comedy programme it serves its purpose - it hasn't been a motoring programme for years.
Annoyingly that episode will be used by the anti EV brigade.

"90k electric cars can't even do 100 miles"
That's not a fair representation of what it showed - the car batteries were far from full when they started the 100 miles as they had driven to their camping spot then rallied around the hilltop destroying the habitat trying to make themselves sick. The same would be true in an ICE - start with too little fuel and you run out.

·
Registered
457 Posts
and likely any ICE car with a ‘range’ indicator would be messed up if you slapped a caravan on the back as it would have calibrated based on previous driving.

·
Registered
Audi Q4 40 S line. VW ID4 GTX (on order)
163 Posts
That's not a fair representation of what it showed - the car batteries were far from full when they started the 100 miles as they had driven to their camping spot then rallied around the hilltop destroying the habitat trying to make themselves sick. The same would be true in an ICE - start with too little fuel and you run out.
You're trying to convince the wrong person. I didnt say anything to the contrary, I said quite clearly that the anti EV brigade will use the supposed inability to travel more than 100 miles as fuel to their argument.

Had Top Gear made it clearer what their SOCs was at by the time they'd got to the site and then finished the race that'd have given better context.

Paddy at the end started to lay into the EQCs range dropping like mad.

The end line was all about getting to a place but not getting back, which clearly in the real world isn't true, you'd charge up. No different to ICEs towing a caravan and their MPG dropping but that context wasn't given either.

For a laugh it was a good episode but the message will be EVs still aren't up to the job.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,594 Posts
but the message will be EVs still aren't up to the job of towing a caravan long distances at high speed and up significant inclines
Can't disagree with that!

If they had tried the same escapade with say a Zonda it would likely have broken.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It’s just a bit of fun. No one takes it seriously and it doesn’t harm anyone 🙄
Except that a few hundred thousand of their less enlightened viewers will take away the basic message that EVs are all (a) £90k and (b) rubbish. There may be a kernel of truth to that, but it's not the whole story of course. It probably will set back EV adoption by some unquantifiable amount and that may well harm someone (perhaps the residents of some low-lying Pacific island in a few years).

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Stopped watching Top Gear since Clarkson and the team are not in it...
I have to admit, I enjoy it more with the current three than I did with Clarkson and co who I felt were getting a bit stale -if you haven't yet id give it a chance as they do have quite a good relationship, and Chris Harris is an absolute machine behind the wheel

It was a tad disappointing at times, but then equally its a fair warning to people who do tow caravans and are thinking of switching to an EV that they have to be careful. As mentioned by @Tooks its not really a car review program anymore and anyone who was really interested in an EV and towing would look elsewhere, this review by Lee Bailey for example where a proper caravan is towed by a tesla and gets over 100miles

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's interesting to hear his summary. I think one thing that he missed was a rapid charge on the way. Chargers aren't really set up to accommodate a car and trailer. Having to decouple the caravan every time you need a charge could be a pain.

Has anyone worked out the break even point of a Caravan versus staying in hotels. I suspect you'd have to use it for several weeks a year to do so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Except that a few hundred thousand of their less enlightened viewers will take away the basic message that EVs are all (a) £90k and (b) rubbish. There may be a kernel of truth to that, but it's not the whole story of course. It probably will set back EV adoption by some unquantifiable amount and that may well harm someone (perhaps the residents of some low-lying Pacific island in a few years).
Is that a tounge in your cheek I see?!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,900 Posts
Whilst I’m as keen as anybody for people to switch their current car to an EV, I think it’s quite a leap to blame a pacific island disappearing under the waves on Top Gear and somebody deciding to not buy an EV as a result of a daft feature on electric cars and ‘caravans’. 😂

Just to be clear, EVs will help, but they ain’t saving the planet alone. Besides, you won’t be able to buy anything new that isn’t an EV soon enough anyway.

I hope it was tongue in cheek too!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am being serious actually. I probably need to lighten up!

Of course EVs won't save the planet, but they are a start, and low hanging fruit compared to things like getting heat pumps in every home and all the other things we need to do to counteract climate change. Billions aren't being spent by governments and manufacturers just for a laugh. We are all part of this massive switch to EVs for a reason.

You're right of course. It is just a light entertainment TV show. My point was just that Top Gear, whilst stupid, is still an influential show, and it's portrayal of EVs will have a subtle real world effect.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Has anyone worked out the break even point of a Caravan versus staying in hotels. I suspect you'd have to use it for several weeks a year to do so.
I think some have suggested its about 8-10 weeks, but TBH its not one of those things for financial reasons alone (kind of like buying an EV), the benefits tend to be more freedom/less faff with holidays, longer holidays, and often wild camping where you can stay in places you'd never get to with an airbnb

(Happy owner of a motorhome who's hoping a solid, reasonably priced EV alternative appears at some point in the near future although I justify the Eco side of it as not flying places for holidays)

·
Registered
337 Posts
It's interesting to hear his summary. I think one thing that he missed was a rapid charge on the way. Chargers aren't really set up to accommodate a car and trailer. Having to decouple the caravan every time you need a charge could be a pain.

I have 2 lots of mates with good family incomes not to different to my families. I have known these guys since college at 16 years old and we all shared a 3 bed house for 4 years when we left home in our early 20's.

Now, my wife will not go camping, and is not a big fan of caravans and motorhomes. She likes 4-5 star hotels and white sand beaches with 25 degree+ heat for a holiday. Both my mates families bought Caravans and they have holidayed together 2/3/4 times a year in the UK for the last 15 years.

In that same time we must have spent £60k+ on foreign annual holidays and my eldest kid mid teens first flew abroad at 3 months old , same with my youngest. We have never holidayed more than a long weekend in the UK.

Have they spent £60k+ on Caravan's, big thirsty cars to tow them, storage costs etc, i doubt even 1/2 that over 15 years.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts