Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

Registered
Its true today I have been battered to death that EVs are a waste of time! apart from the one caravan owner, he drives a Dodge Ram and knows that the caravan kills his range, he even said his Dodge wouldnt have done the racing around the hill, but what that means is most petrolheads now believe that EVs dont work period! Thank you BBC you are dickheads that thought of this episode

Registered
I have 2 lots of mates with good family incomes not to different to my families. I have known these guys since college at 16 years old and we all shared a 3 bed house for 4 years when we left home in our early 20's.

Now, my wife will not go camping, and is not a big fan of caravans and motorhomes. She likes 4-5 star hotels and white sand beaches with 25 degree+ heat for a holiday. Both my mates families bought Caravans and they have holidayed together 2/3/4 times a year in the UK for the last 15 years.

In that same time we must have spent 拢60k+ on foreign annual holidays and my eldest kid mid teens first flew abroad at 3 months old , same with my youngest. We have never holidayed more than a long weekend in the UK.

Have they spent 拢60k+ on Caravan's, big thirsty cars to tow them, storage costs etc, i doubt even 1/2 that over 15 years.
30k for a family sized motorhome. 20k for a family sized caravan. Then add on the bigger car. The storage fees. The depreciation. Running costs, site fees (not cheap this summer! 拢20 a night for a tent most places!). Extra sets of all the crap you have at home in the caravan. The mobile WiFi, the extra tv. Etc etc etc.

I鈥檇 be surprised if they didn鈥檛 spend close to 60k over 15 years. Mind you at the moment they鈥檇 get a bit back trading in the caravan as they are in demand.

Registered
Has anyone worked out the break even point of a Caravan versus staying in hotels. I suspect you'd have to use it for several weeks a year to do so.
If they treated it as a financial exercise there would be far fewer of them. The pandemic has skewed the finances, but I know some people with motorhomes which must have been costing them more than 拢1000 for every night they spent in them. You can get a decent hotel for that.

You really have to use them to get the benefit - and we do. The first expensive caravan we bought we spent 64 nights in it in the first year. Week at Easter, week in October and every second weekend in between soon adds up even if you have a fortnight abroad in the summer.

Like cars - you can also do bangers. Our previous caravan cost us 拢500. We did 12,000 miles with it, including 3 weeks in Spain, via a long crossing to Bilbao. The main reason we bought it was that we were driving a car with a low towing limit, (A Dacia Logan) and very few caravans were light enough. Not bad when you consider that most caravanners will pay twice that for a motor mover.

Money isn't the point however. Its a lifestyle thing. I'm convinced that few people take to it who weren't brought up with it. If your family went camping / caravanning and you have fond memories of that you are more likely to buy into it than if you always went to hotels.

Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
I had my first motorhome experience in the first year at uni in 1972 when my parents let me use theirs for a term. and I was hooked.

I've owned or hired them ever since and sold a great VW Autosleeper 2.5tdi in August 2020, partly tp pay off a credit card and because there was no where to go (lockdown). I sold it for 拢2k more than I paid a year earlier.

Prices went through the roof due to the staycation stimulating demand so when the lockdowns were relaxed, all the best spots were overcrowded, which defeats the object of motorcaravanning - far from the madding (maddening) crowd.

Registered
Except that a few hundred thousand of their less enlightened viewers will take away the basic message that EVs are all (a) 拢90k and (b) rubbish. There may be a kernel of truth to that, but it's not the whole story of course. It probably will set back EV adoption by some unquantifiable amount and that may well harm someone (perhaps the residents of some low-lying Pacific island in a few years).
Yes, and this is fantastic!

I don't want everyone to be driving EVs, clogging up the charging network and what fun would the traffic light GP be once everyone has an EV?

And once we are all in EVs the government will go crazy taxing them.

Registered
If they treated it as a financial exercise there would be far fewer of them. The pandemic has skewed the finances, but I know some people with motorhomes which must have been costing them more than 拢1000 for every night they spent in them. You can get a decent hotel for that.

You really have to use them to get the benefit - and we do. The first expensive caravan we bought we spent 64 nights in it in the first year. Week at Easter, week in October and every second weekend in between soon adds up even if you have a fortnight abroad in the summer.

Like cars - you can also do bangers. Our previous caravan cost us 拢500. We did 12,000 miles with it, including 3 weeks in Spain, via a long crossing to Bilbao. The main reason we bought it was that we were driving a car with a low towing limit, (A Dacia Logan) and very few caravans were light enough. Not bad when you consider that most caravanners will pay twice that for a motor mover.

Money isn't the point however. Its a lifestyle thing. I'm convinced that few people take to it who weren't brought up with it. If your family went camping / caravanning and you have fond memories of that you are more likely to buy into it than if you always went to hotels.
To the best of my knowledge they both started with "el-cheapy" 拢2k-拢3k Caravans the first few years then went upmarket 2nd hand about the 拢10k mark. I have not heard either say they have spent more and changed since and i only last saw them early October for a night on the beers. Usually "new toys" cars. caravans, hifi ,home cinema, watches, mountain bikes, golf clubs , gadgets etc etc all come up in conversation. As i am getting the Tesla's , EV's was a fair bit of a the chat last time with one mate want a Model Y LR as his next company car (to tow a CARAVAN) and the other one saying he really liked the look of the Ioniq 5 TV adverts and would that tow a caravan.

One has a company Merc Diesel estate and the other a 07 plate LR Disco, which is parked up 99% of it's life as he takes a train into London daily. If they had bought 拢20k+ caravans in the last 5 years i would have heard about it i think. I will ask next time we have an Xmas boys drink.

Registered
Audi Q4 40 S line. VW ID4 GTX (on order)
Its true today I have been battered to death that EVs are a waste of time! apart from the one caravan owner, he drives a Dodge Ram and knows that the caravan kills his range, he even said his Dodge wouldnt have done the racing around the hill, but what that means is most petrolheads now believe that EVs dont work period! Thank you BBC you are dickheads that thought of this episode
You must be talking rubbish, everyone knows to take their reviews as light hearted fun rather than as a review.. eh.

According to a few on here a anyway.

Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
It's interesting to hear his summary. I think one thing that he missed was a rapid charge on the way. Chargers aren't really set up to accommodate a car and trailer. Having to decouple the caravan every time you need a charge could be a pain.

Has anyone worked out the break even point of a Caravan versus staying in hotels. I suspect you'd have to use it for several weeks a year to do so.
Well exactly, caravan users should never get an EV anyway.

Even without the purchase cost of the caravan, Travelodge holidays are cheaper a lot of the time

Registered
Whilst I鈥檓 as keen as anybody for people to switch their current car to an EV, I think it鈥檚 quite a leap to blame a pacific island disappearing under the waves on Top Gear and somebody deciding to not buy an EV as a result of a daft feature on electric cars and 鈥榗aravans鈥. 馃槀

Just to be clear, EVs will help, but they ain鈥檛 saving the planet alone. Besides, you won鈥檛 be able to buy anything new that isn鈥檛 an EV soon enough anyway.

I hope it was tongue in cheek too!
I'm with Stephen LRS, and no tongue in cheek. Top gear audiences are the most easily led group on the planet. It's a bit like the quirky shouty ignorant adverts on TV which perversely seem to be the most remembered and successful.
But, frankly, I don't care if that type never drive EVs.

Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
I'm with Stephen LRS, and no tongue in cheek. Top gear audiences are the most easily led group on the planet. It's a bit like the quirky shouty ignorant adverts on TV which perversely seem to be the most remembered and successful.
Quite. Some people will never ever be convinced, and that鈥檚 ok, because they鈥檒l have to eventually.

It鈥檚 not our job to sell EVs to those who don鈥檛 want them. Focus on the people that do is my mantra.

Registered
Audi Q4 40 S line. VW ID4 GTX (on order)
Quite. Some people will never ever be convinced, and that鈥檚 ok, because they鈥檒l have to eventually.

It鈥檚 not our job to sell EVs to those who don鈥檛 want them. Focus on the people that do is my mantra.
What about those sitting on the fence.

Registered
Ah of course I forgot the only reason I'm getting an EV is due to the current zero costs for the road fund license.

Nowt to do with people's lungs or owt.
But don't forget you can get 20p worth of electricity while you shop. This seems to be a prime concern for phev drivers.

Registered
I鈥檓 one of the 鈥楾op Gear audience鈥
Do you think I ordered my EV on their teachings?

Registered
They鈥檒l get splinters?!

If people are on the fence, fair enough, if they want some facts from a 鈥榣ong term鈥 EV鈥檈r I鈥檒l help.

But people who are anti or ignorant, no, life is too short. Let them stew.
I find that the anti EV brigade really struggle with intelligence and are aso hugely prone to one of the biggest failings of all Humans. The inability to see exponential growth in their lifetimes, as it happens so slowly in their time reference. They cant get past "If 2030 is like 2021 we will never cope".

I like to use the tail of Petrol pumps , 1st ones opened in 1919. By the 1940's there where a fair few of them , all only 1 or 2 pump stalls. The first multi pump "service station" did not open until 1959 on the Watford Gap.

Just over a decade later in the early 1970's. 4-6 pump filling stations everywhere, thousands of them. Even the little market town i grew up in in the 1970's had 2 x 4 pump filling stations in the mid 1970's, i remember being 5-6 yo in my dads Trimuph Vitesse , top down, watching him fill with Petrol.

1959 , 1st multi pump service station, 1975 thousands. So.................. 2020 , 1st Gridserve EV filling station in Essex , 2035 , most likely several hundreds. there will never be 1000's because EV's can charge at home and leave with a full tank of fuel overnight, something 1960's ICE could never do.

Power Stations, DNO upgrades countrywide, EV filling stations, Destination chargers, home chargers, all these have grown exponentially since 2011 and will carry on growing exponentially by 2035. But people just cant "see" it happening as they cant understand exponential growth.

Here's a kicker, what is growing worldwide since 2020, at the same time stage after launch, faster than Mobile phones or the internet since the early 90's, the two previous fastest growing technologies ever? And it's growing and being adopted twice as fast as either of those?

21 - 40 of 84 Posts