Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
But don't forget you can get 20p worth of electricity while you shop. This seems to be a prime concern for phev drivers.
Why this comment? My wife has a BEV and I have a 7 seat PHEV. I am concerned that I am missing out on this 20p of free electricity. Should I be seeking this out? Could you tell me where I can get this free electricity?

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 62Kw, 2021 - Leaf number 6! 2 x Zappi as we are a two Leaf family.
178 Posts
Predictably Last night's Top Gear's ridiculous test of 3 EV's ended with them proving that when the GOM's on EV's show that there isn't enough range to get to the destination without charging that that is exactly what happens! A much more useful test would have been to set them a challenge to get to their destination in the shortest amount of time with a charging stop included.
They were never ever going to reach the destination, BBC Worldwide, which makes Top Gear is funded/sponsored in part by Shell, so it was obvious from the outset what the outcome would be, the tired old 'we have run out of battery' scenario.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
It’s just a bit of fun. No one takes it seriously and it doesn’t harm anyone 🙄
Not picking on you @Dbug and others have made a similar point, but you were the most succinct.

My fear is that this tired old 'joke' about the unsuitability of EVs is on the same spectrum of the closet sexist / racist / homophobic 'banter' that is still prevalent in our society.

It plays to the prejudices of the ignorant and should not be encouraged.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Not picking on you @Dbug and others have made a similar point, but you were the most succinct.

My fear is that this tired old 'joke' about the unsuitability of EVs is on the same spectrum of the closet sexist / racist / homophobic 'banter' that is still prevalent in our society.

Did they give any of their cars a nickname, "Kevin" or some such?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,804 Posts
They were never ever going to reach the destination, BBC Worldwide, which makes Top Gear is funded/sponsored in part by Shell, so it was obvious from the outset what the outcome would be, the tired old 'we have run out of battery' scenario.
BBC Worldwide Ltd is ‘funded/sponsored in part by Shell’?

Where does that come from please?

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 62Kw, 2021 - Leaf number 6! 2 x Zappi as we are a two Leaf family.
178 Posts
BBC Worldwide Ltd is ‘funded/sponsored in part by Shell’?

Where does that come from please?
It came to light during the scrap between Tesla and TG when they tested the Roadster years ago, when it all went to court. They have also recently (March 2020) paid a Radio 1 personality £100k to push their 'green' credentials.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,804 Posts
It came to light during the scrap between Tesla and TG when they tested the Roadster years ago, when it all went to court. They have also recently (March 2020) paid a Radio 1 personality £100k to push their 'green' credentials.
I know that She’ll are up to all sorts, but seems a stretch to suggest they fund BBC Wordwide Ltd. Google doesn’t throw up much that’s factual regards the Tesla roadster thing either?

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,520 Posts

That's taking it just a tad too far.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
That's taking it just a tad too far.
Maybe it is, but where is the line?

Is it OK to ridicule someone about their race, religion, sexuality, disability, height, weight, hair colour, what they wear, where they live, what they do for a living, how they vote, whether they choose to wear a mask and are vaccinated or not, what car they drive etc.

Does it make any difference if the 'facts' presented are true or not?

These things start as 'a bit of fun', then can turn nasty.

Not for me to decide, but I do know that some language and TV programmes that were acceptable a generation ago are not now. We do know that young people self harm and worse due to social media posts.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Is it OK to ridicule someone about their race, religion, sexuality, disability, height, weight, hair colour, what they wear, where they live, what they do for a living, how they vote, whether they choose to wear a mask and are vaccinated or not, what car they drive etc.
You might have heard of these things called protected characteristics?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
We've seen how a seemingly harmless mantra like 'make America Great again' can be seized upon and taken in a scary direction.

Surely not impossible to see how cheerleaders for ICE can take something like a bit of banter about EVs and we end up with a situation where EVs and drivers are ridiculed, chargers blocked, funding cut etc.

It is a slippery slope that is hard to get off once it has gathered momentum. So best not to even joke about these things I say.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Absolutely. EVs are far from perfect and I have no problem with limitations being explained, but treated in a crass way in the name of entertainment can lead to undesirable consequences.

Never forget that around half of the population are of below average intelligence ;)

Not everyone is able to see the 'joke' for what it is.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,520 Posts
Maybe it is, but where is the line?

Does it make any difference if the 'facts' presented are true or not?

These things start as 'a bit of fun', then can turn nasty.

Not for me to decide, but I do know that some language and TV programmes that were acceptable a generation ago are not now. We do know that young people self harm and worse due to social media posts.
Let's just keep this a little on track. The subject is the TV programme Top Gear and it's audience, with specific reference to the item on electric cars. Whilst I find the presenters irritating and without an understanding of EVs and, as I said, the audience being easily led, you really cannot extrapolate this to indicate that the same people spend their time ridiculing minority groups.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts