Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,803 Posts
Never forget that around half of the population are of below average intelligence ;)

Not everyone is able to see the 'joke' for what it is.
Why can’t half of the population be of average intelligence, therefore much smaller percentages could be higher or lower than that?

Your statement assumes everybody is ranked above or below everybody else.

Isn’t it more correct to say that half of the people have below-median intelligence. The average or mean is probably close to the median?

And, that Top Gear is a bit of entertainment and shouldn’t be taken too seriously? I’m not about to pop out and buy that Lamborghini because Chris Harris liked it…

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Depends how you measure intelligence. A common method might be to rank by IQ and one might expect a normal distribution around 100. It was a throwaway comment though.

You have made some very good and insightful comments in the past and I don't doubt that you are able to judge what is true and what is delivered for effect. Not everyone is like you though. There are lots of people out there that are more inciteful than insightful (or don't know the difference). Don't be so sure they get the joke.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Let's just keep this a little on track. The subject is the TV programme Top Gear and it's audience, with specific reference to the item on electric cars. Whilst I find the presenters irritating and without an understanding of EVs and, as I said, the audience being easily led, you really cannot extrapolate this to indicate that the same people spend their time ridiculing minority groups.
Sorry don't mean to take things of track.

This is about bigotry, pure and simple. My thesis is that if someone unreasonably believes ICE is superior and is prejudice against or antagonistic towards EVs, then they are more likely to unreasonably believe that one race, or gender or religion is superior. It is a mindset.

Isn't it better to resist bigotry in whatever form it comes?

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,828 Posts

This is about bigotry, pure and simple. My thesis is that if someone unreasonably believes ICE is superior and is prejudice against or antagonistic towards EVs, then they are more likely to unreasonably believe that one race, or gender or religion is superior. It is a mindset.

The ICE fans soon change their mind when they drive or travel in one so I'm not concerned about their attitude.

My neighbour's son is a prime example, having 'upgraded' from a noisy C1 VTS to a BMW 530D. He was dumbfounded when I pointed out the Leaf's performance and running costs and jealously eyed the GTE, especially when I said it used 30p of power per day and did 50mpg on long runs.

There is simply no comparing petrol heads with racism and bigotry - it's like comparing Asti Spumante with Veuve Clicquot because they are both fizzy.

Reactions: EdH

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,520 Posts

I know what you're saying, bizarre and irrelevant as it is. Move on.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The ICE fans soon change their mind when they drive or travel in one so I'm not concerned about their attitude.
I'm sure you are correct. Similarly most xenophobes would probably find people from other countries are people they could become friends with if they gave them a chance.

'Entertainment shows' like Love Thy Neighbour, Mind your Language and Top Gear are full of lazy stereotypes and pander to the prejudices of many of their viewers. In the 70's it was not uncommon for people to use catch phrases from these shows to insult others of a different race. At least in Love Thy Neighbour both of the main protagonists were made to look foolish at the end. In Top Gear ridiculous unpractical supercars are made to look cool, while sensible, more environmentally friendly EVs are always the butt of the joke.

It would be great if everybody was able to process what they watch, read and hear; to be able to separate fact from fiction, to detect sarcasm and recognise hyperbole. Judging by the Internet tropes, social media conspiracy theories and three word politics that seem prevalent in our current culture, I can only conclude that many people can't.

I'm not saying that ridiculing EVs is the same as ridiculing a particular race. I am saying that popular light entertainment shows can influence our society for good or ill.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,803 Posts
I'm sure you are correct. Similarly most xenophobes would probably find people from other countries are people they could become friends with if they gave them a chance.

'Entertainment shows' like Love Thy Neighbour, Mind your Language and Top Gear are full of lazy stereotypes and pander to the prejudices of many of their viewers. In the 70's it was not uncommon for people to use catch phrases from these shows to insult others of a different race. At least in Love Thy Neighbour both of the main protagonists were made to look foolish at the end. In Top Gear ridiculous unpractical supercars are made to look cool, while sensible, more environmentally friendly EVs are always the butt of the joke.

It would be great if everybody was able to process what they watch, read and hear; to be able to separate fact from fiction, to detect sarcasm and recognise hyperbole. Judging by the Internet tropes, social media conspiracy theories and three word politics that seem prevalent in our current culture, I can only conclude that many people can't.

I'm not saying that ridiculing EVs is the same as ridiculing a particular race. I am saying that popular light entertainment shows can influence our society for good or ill.
It’s a stretch to suggest that having a bit of fun in some EVs for television entertainment purposes is akin to 1970s TV based racist entertainment. If anybody chooses to focus in on a TV show to influence their next car, then there’s no hope for them anyway, and let’s face facts - for some people EVs are still a poor choice.

Is anybody going to go into bat to support the ‘caravans’ that they were towing and also making fun of?

Top Gear are not anti-EV, their magazine output is balanced as anything else out there, and in fact Chris Harris reviewed the Model 3 Performance on the Top Gear TV show and was very complimentary and called it a ‘game changer’ in the performance saloon stakes.

It won’t be long before they review the ‘electric BMW M3’ equivalents.

Top Gear is no more a serious journalistic programme that covers the global impact of motoring than Last of the Summer Wine is about Britain’s broken social care system and the issue of rural second homes.

They do some wonderful stuff TG, amongst the nonsense, witness the Eddie Kidd tribute in a previous episode.

If people can’t tell the difference between a factual documentary and entertainment, probably best switch the TV off…

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,828 Posts
Well next week, Fifth Gear seems to be reborn as Fifth Gear Recharged, focusing on EVs so we'll see how even handed they are. At least there is none of the TG frippery.

Yesterday's 2019 episode was fairly neutral although neither the E-Tron v Model Y nor VBH's used EVs (Gen 1 Leaf, Ampera & I3) included much about the running costs.

Reactions: Dbug

·
Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
349 Posts
Surely ( due to tax benefits ) all EV owners on here want to encourage the slowing down of the uptake of EVs ? Think Norway.
I've already completed a 180 degree U-turn on my previous EVangelical response to queries about buying/running EVs 😁👍

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,828 Posts
Surely ( due to tax benefits ) all EV owners on here want to encourage the slowing down of the uptake of EVs ? Think Norway.
I've already completed a 180 degree U-turn on my previous EVangelical response to queries about buying/running EVs 😁👍
So the answer for many is a PHEV provided it can cover their daily miles entirely on battery, yet cover long journeys without using the limited charging network, leaving it free for BEVs.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts