Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

I'm new to the world of EV's and new to this Forum, so forgive me if this isa question thats been asked previously, but...

We have recently bought a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV for my wife to use. She uses it mainly for school runs several times a day, supermarket visits, pick up and drop off journeys. So all under 6-8 mile trips throughout the day. We have a chargemaster type 1 tethered charger on our drive. are we best to top up the battery every time it returns to the drive throughout the day and overnight - or should we just use the battery throughout the day, and then fully charge overnight. I doubt - for 90% of average daily use, the car will to over the 30 mile range.

I'm asking this both in terms of potential long term damage to the battery, and cost in electricity bills.

Or does it not matter?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm sure people will say to keep between say 40-80% for longevity. And you will do that when it's new and it's cool to do that but soon you will probably just end up plugging it in at night or between trips. It would be the same in electric but I'd personally plug in between trips because say something unexpected comes up you can get there on electric which is way cheaper than petrol.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Exactly ^^^^^^

I plug in whenever I am down under 80%... charging when the battery is nearly full (over 80%) is not so good but other than that just plug in whenever. If you can limit to just overnight then that will create less CO2 at the power station (overnight the grid generates less CO2) but as Dblock says... you run the risk of needing to go out without it being charged. If you are plugging in only when it is under 80% then just don't worry about it and plug in whenever you can.

The other thing worth mentioning is that storing it when nearly full or nearly empty is not good either. If you are not using it for a few days (e.g. holiday) try to leave it between 40% and 50% full.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both. Its pretty new to us, so plugging in and unplugging between journeys is still quite alien to us. I'm sure in time we'll fall into a regular rhythm of charging.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts