Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fitted the Topfit dashboard display (Mickey Mouse ears) seems a lot more difficult in a right hand drive car?
Looks like the glove box will have to be removed to gain access to the connector.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Installed the Hansshow display.
Not touched the glove box to connect the odb connector, but very hard to do.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I thought of getting the smaller version, with the round displays, following the software update that moved the speed display to the right and hid it behind my left hand. Not sure about the big screen, but having the speed displayed more or less in my eyeline is something I personally prefer, and not being able to see the speed display easily was one of the contributory reasons for me selling the Model 3. There was no way I could keep the seat and steering wheel in comfortable positions and still see the speed display after it was moved to the right hand side of the screen, which was a bit of a nuisance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I fitted this one which I am delighted with as it gives me all the information I want. I don't need car play etc and
do not think a touch display behind the steering wheel is a good idea.
The main problems are:
Expensive at £550 from Amazon.
Almost impossible to install, had to make a special tool and did it on third attempt.
Supplied cable is too short for a RHD car so had to reroute it.
Can't contact manufacturer to discuss cable and for software updates etc. Should be through Amazon but it
impossible to get past the 'Amazon assistant'
Having said that I do find it a great addition, lets face its ommission by Tesla was only to save manufacturing costs.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Also wonder what Tesla think about these products as i read they actively try and block aftermarket products via updates, next time when V11 comes out.Other similar products already failed in earlier updates OTA.

Quote,,,

Not weird at all. Tesla changes the messages on the CANbus all the time. Rumor is that with V11 the CANbus will be encrypted cutting off all thrid-party tools/devices that use it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As for notifying the insurance company I will declare it on renewal, I would think that it would not be a problem as it
adds to safer driving.
The display connects to the autopilot computer (this is the hardest part of the install) not sure if that is a CANbus connection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts