Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, as you can probably tell from my username I'm a little behind in the EV area, I still have a petrol vehicle but am tentatively looking at either a Hybrid or Full EV.
I've got a couple of what are probably really basic questions, but having never owned an EV I really am not sure.

What are the potential "breakdown" pitfalls that are unique to an EV, I know for example a full EV won't have a radiator so I don't have to worry about springing a coolant leak.

I don't actually do a lot of driving now, so little in fact that I'm screwing up my car battery and having to replace it every 2 years. Could this happen with an EV ? If I do so little mileage can I ruin the battery packs and end up having to pay 1000's to replace them ?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Many EV's, if not all modern EV's, do in fact have a radiator, the battery and electronics do still need cooling although you could argue the stress on these components is lower than in an ICE vehicle? It may well be a very negligible difference though.
The biggest pitfall unique to an EV is degradation of the HV (high voltage) traction battery. Batteries age with usage and range is reduced as the battery ages, technology has moved forward and degradation is better managed (by most manufacturers), but there will be some dud cars out there if you're buying used and it can be tricky to diagnose (you would want to be armed with some basic diagnostic tools for the car you're thinking of purchasing. This is all assuming a used car purchase though)

EVs use a regular 12v car battery to power the accessories such as the radio, interior fan, lighting etc and they don't tend to last as long as a 12v battery lasts in an ICE vehicle due to poor charging management in a lot of modern EVs, however when it dies its cheap to replace. AGM batteries are often preferred as they're better at handling discharges than a standard lead acid battery but either way they generally cost less than £150, if you so wanted you could sling a £50 battery in and it would work.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought my first EV three months ago, so am still learning. Someone with more knowledge will probably be along shortly.....

Leaving an EV unused for a couple of weeks doesn't appear to cause any problems. I had to self-isolate for 14 days and the car started without problem after being parked for two weeks.

One piece of advice that is useful to know if an EV is likely to be parked for long periods - It isn't good for the battery to be charged to 100% and then parked up for long periods.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,663 Posts
One piece of advice that is useful to know if an EV is likely to be parked for long periods - It isn't good for the battery to be charged to 100% and then parked up for long periods.
While this is generally the case, it isn't with all EVs. Some brands like BMW and Tesla actively encourage you to leave it plugged in while not being used for an extended period. Especially when we are only talking about a one-off period of 2 weeks though, it isn't too important what you do in that time. It shouldn't cause significant degradation to the traction battery, and a healthy 12V battery should also manage it whether plugged in or not.

People worry about batteries in EVs a lot more than they really should. Sure, there's fear of degradation and expensive replacements, but for the most part they really do just look after themselves as long as you aren't regularly taking it to extremes. The only time I would really be taking any extra care compared to an ICE vehicle would be with a Nissan LEAF, pretty much the only car to lack thermal management - A problem since this excess heat is known to be the big killer of batteries.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,923 Posts
People worry about batteries in EVs a lot more than they really should.
Totally agree, MG give a 7 year warranty on all parts of the EZS and 5. I don't think they're too worried about degradation.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought my first EV three months ago, so am still learning. Someone with more knowledge will probably be along shortly.....

Leaving an EV unused for a couple of weeks doesn't appear to cause any problems. I had to self-isolate for 14 days and the car started without problem after being parked for two weeks.

So once we can fly again (for work & pleasure) it should be OK left in the airport parking for 10-12days :)

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,907 Posts
So once we can fly again (for work & pleasure) it should be OK left in the airport parking for 10-12days :)
Lots of modern cars have problems with their 12v battery if the car is left unused over that period, most EVs are better than ICE at maintaining these. The HV battery will not be damaged if left at an appropriate state of charge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts