Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our touch screen is broken and we've been told by lots of people that it will cost nearly £1000 to get it fixed. And that's only guaranteed for a year. Does anyone know if this is a universal problem with modern cars and technology in general or are some cars more fixable? We live in Sussex in case anyone can recommend anyone near here.

We can almost live without it other than to switch between 80% and 100% charging - sadly it's currently on 80%!

And we can't find any way to change this via the app.

I think I remember hearing that when you charge with a chademo this can go up to 100% even if your car is set to 80% - is this true? If so that could be a way round it for us

Thanks in advance - any advice here very gratefully received.

·
Super Moderator
7,472 Posts
I think you could, with a willing friend, swap the screen assembly (not the whole headunit, just the physical screen) from a working car ,change the settings, then swap back.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I think there are much cheaper ways to get it fixed.

A quick search came up with these on ebay:

The nissan system will require the SD card that is in yoru headunit - beyond that I do not know if any other coding is required to connect the new head unit to your car. Just be aware that the second link may be the slightly updated system as used in the 30kWh leaf and be sure to get something that fits your vehicle correctly. Worth contacting the seller to see if they can help you?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Our touch screen is broken and we've been told by lots of people that it will cost nearly £1000 to get it fixed. And that's only guaranteed for a year. Does anyone know if this is a universal problem with modern cars and technology in general or are some cars more fixable? We live in Sussex in case anyone can recommend anyone near here.

We can almost live without it other than to switch between 80% and 100% charging - sadly it's currently on 80%!

And we can't find any way to change this via the app.

I think I remember hearing that when you charge with a chademo this can go up to 100% even if your car is set to 80% - is this true? If so that could be a way round it for us

Thanks in advance - any advice here very gratefully received.
I'm pretty sure that the charge limiter setting relates to the AC charger only, and doesn't affect Chademo charging.

However, rapid charging slows down when you get above 80%, so it may not be too useful.

Be sure to test it first though, before you need it!

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,663 Posts
If your car is set to 80% Limit it will stop on chademo at 80% too. You can restart it, and it will give you 1 extra percent and stop again. The limit applies to both AC and DC on all the LEAFs that I have worked with.

You shouldn't be taking a 24kWh LEAF above 80% on a rapid charger anyways though. It will be super slow and likely inconvenience others.

·
Super Moderator
7,472 Posts
Also another thought, once stopped at 80%, if you press the "timer override" button on the dash I seem to remember it then goes to 100%, regardless of charge limit setting.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You shouldn't be taking a 24kWh LEAF above 80% on a rapid charger anyways though. It will be super slow and likely inconvenience others.
No slower than any other charging option. It is all well and good if you have another option, but most motorway services don't have a stack of type2 7Kw chargers, so if you need to fully charge to do your next hop safely (which in a 24Kwh as per the original poster is quite likely) then your only choice is to stay on the Chademo for another 20 mins to get the full charge...... (our experience on the very rare occasion we charge away from home with our 30KWh is 20 mins to 80%, another 20 mins to 100%).

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,663 Posts
(our experience on the very rare occasion we charge away from home with our 30KWh is 20 mins to 80%, another 20 mins to 100%).
The 30kWh is a much better car and can charge at close to full speed for much longer before it slows right down. Take a look at this chart and you'll see why I am strongly advising against it on a 24kWh. You can quickly get to about 92% with a 30 in very little time before it really starts to slow down. In a 24 it is slowing down much earlier on, and if trying to completely charge it to full it takes way longer in reality. While this stops at 90% the significant speed differences continue past that too.

24kWh is green line. 30kWh is blue line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also another thought, once stopped at 80%, if you press the "timer override" button on the dash I seem to remember it then goes to 100%, regardless of charge limit setting.
Thanks - I'll try that although i think our timer is set to 80% too! And we can't edit that either. Grrr...

·
Super Moderator
7,472 Posts
I believe disconnecting the 12v for a few hours will kill the currently set charge timer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The 30kWh is a much better car and can charge at close to full speed for much longer before it slows right down. Take a look at this chart and you'll see why I am strongly advising against it on a 24kWh. You can quickly get to about 92% with a 30 in very little time before it really starts to slow down. In a 24 it is slowing down much earlier on, and if trying to completely charge it to full it takes way longer in reality. While this stops at 90% the significant speed differences continue past that too.

24kWh is green line. 30kWh is blue line.
Crikey, not a brilliant charging curve! That said, at 90% it is still going more than twice the speed of a 7Kw charger, so still the fastest option even if you had an alternative method of charging to choose from. At a motorway services chances are it is rapid or nothing so the fact slows down isn't really relevant if you need a full charge for your next hop.

·
Registered
461 Posts
A grand for a head unit sounds crazy for an early car. Surely a used one can be bought from a car breaking for parts for a lot less than that ?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,904 Posts
I'm no fan of stealers, but this can be reset by them with their software. Get a firm price for it first as they rarely know what they are doing when going off the beaten track.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts