Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Our touch screen isn't working on he right hand side. We've been quoted £950 to get it repaired. Any suggestions how to resolve this for less money?

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Just to point out that the map SD cards are "coded" to the head unit, so just inserting the map SD card belonging to the old head unit into the new one won't work.

So a new SD card would have to be procured. Officially only Nissan can do this at the healthy fee of some £140 or so. Unofficially there are third parties who have the knowledge how to do this, although what they might charge I don't know.

I'm also not sure whether there is any coding between the head unit and the car that needs to be done.

The picture above is a "Carwings" variant of the head unit for 2014-2015 models, 2016 to 2018 models have a completely different head unit (Nissan Connect EV on the boot screen) so are not interchangeable. I believe there are three head unit variations in total for the "classic look" Leaf models.

If you search around you should be able to find a 3rd party to do the job for a lot less than £950 though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. We're in Sussex so Warwickshire no good. Another question - we can live without the touch screen for everything except switching between 80% and 100% charging. Is there any way of doing this via the Nissan Leaf app? Can't find a way. At some point we're going to upgrade to an electric car with a longer range so it would be interesting to know if other electric cars have this dependency on touch screens too.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,138 Posts
Thanks. We're in Sussex so Warwickshire no good. Another question - we can live without the touch screen for everything except switching between 80% and 100% charging. Is there any way of doing this via the Nissan Leaf app? Can't find a way. At some point we're going to upgrade to an electric car with a longer range so it would be interesting to know if other electric cars have this dependency on touch screens too.
Don't bother withe the rapid in Storrington its always broke!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
New Leaf owner, picked up a 2015 Tekna with the right hand side of the touch panel not working.
All sorted now for under £25.
1) You can 'get by' by holding your left finger at the same vertical position in the centre of the screen and varying the distance of your right finger until you click the button you want. It's painful, but let me log in to car wings with a duff touch screen.
2) Not for the faint of heart, but this touch panel is a good physical fit (Clarion NX702); however the pins must be remapped as follows: Touch Panel connector 1,2,3,4 -> PCB connector 2,3,4,1.
Otherwise the input is rotated 90 degrees and the touch panel calibration (engineering menu) doesn't work.

Luckily the panel came with an adaptor cable suitable for careful soldering / modification.

As an extra bonus, the touch overlay is much less faded and clearer than the old panel :)

Anyhow, thought I'd share my experience after taking a gamble to avoid an eBay £250 donor unit!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,
New Leaf owner, picked up a 2015 Tekna with the right hand side of the touch panel not working.
1) You can 'get by' by holding your left finger at the same vertical position in the centre of the screen and varying the distance of your right finger until you click the button you want. It's painful, but let me log in to car wings with a duff touch screen.
2) Not for the faint of heart, but this touch panel is a good physical fit (Clarion NX702); however the pins must be remapped as follows: Touch Panel connector 1,2,3,4 -> PCB connector 2,3,4,1.
Otherwise the input is rotated 90 degrees and the touch panel calibration (engineering menu) doesn't work.

Luckily the panel came with an adaptor cable suitable for careful soldering / modification.

As an extra bonus, the touch overlay is much less faded and clearer than the old panel :)

Anyhow, thought I'd share my experience after taking a gamble to avoid an eBay £250 donor unit!
Thanks very much - will give this a go - the first bit that is. We've now succeeded to get it to 100% by me whacking the screen like a crazy person but we'd prefer to adjust the timer so we have the option to switch between 80% and 100%. Rachel

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi
Did you do this by yourself? How did you get the screen off?
Did it screw back in, or how did you fix it in? it would be GREAT to do something like this...
Thanks,
Mark.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi
Did it screw back in, or how did you fix it in? it would be GREAT to do something like this...
Thanks,
Mark.
No we didn't do this, we're just living with it on 100% charge permanently and use phones for satnav

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you tried this fix?

worked for me, dealer told me it was normal on all leafs screens to 'fail ' before I found this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

Hi Art103, I have lost sensitivity in the right 25% of my panel and would like to try this repair. Can you describe how you did it in a bit more detail? Any tips on dismantling everything without breaking plastic tabs etc? Do you need to take the whole unit out or can the panel be removed in place with the screen tilted forward? I can see some screws are visible. Did the replacement screen come with a spare cable or did you cut the ribbon and solder to reorder the pins? Any photos? I'll try and take some pictures as I work through it? Is there a pinout diagram if the unit needs to be powered out of the car to move the mechanism? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. Simon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Any photos? I'll try and take some pictures as I work through it?
Brave man... I need to do this but am not confident my skills will be adequate. If you do go ahead, PLEASE record your steps as best you can, I am sure there are many who'd love to have something to follow. In the meantime, I hope @art103 has some help for you... (y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi
Thanks,
Mark.
Hi Mark, Simon,

Sorry I have only just seen the notifications in my inbox.

Yes. I'm an engineer and didn't want to fork out a load of cash on a replacement head unit.
Worst case: I break it and have to buy a replacement head unit anyway :)

The following is from memory ~4 months ago, so some small details may be missing.

I chose to take the tilting screen assembly out without taking the head unit out.
The steps I took:
1) Press the button to tilt the screen flat
2) Unscrew the 2x screws that attach the tilt mechanism to the screen
3) Carefully!!! twist the screen and slide so that it comes out and gives you access to the metal panel on the back.
3a) Did I say carefully? That flexi cable is fragile, so don't go tugging on it or let the screen dangle from it.
4) Unscrew the 2x screws where the cable goes into the head unit. This prevents the strain relief, but gives a bit more wriggle room to get to the back of the screen.
5) Unscrew the 2x screws of the covering panel on the back of the screen
6) Unclip the flexi connector and remove from the back of the screen
7) Take the screen inside to a nice warm, clean environment to make your life easier
8) Assembly is the reverse of disassembly (good old Haynes ;))

Notes:
The screws are held in with something magic (superglue / loctite). The first time you unscrew them, make sure you have a perfectly fitting screwdriver bit otherwise they will round off.
Once you have the screen out of the car, find a relatively dust free environment and familiarise yourself with the job before you do it properly. Getting the screen in and out is the easy bit!

Once you've tilted the screen down, it would probably be a good idea to either disconnect the 12V battery or unplug the head unit.
I didn't do either and had a couple of 'oops' moments when knocking the tilt button, or getting the flexi cable slightly wrong in the socket.
The head unit is always powered, even with the ignition off.

For the touch panel itself:
The pin order is different on the original, so you have to make a small modification to the supplied 4-pin FFC adapter cable.

Steps to modify the adapter / extension cable:
1) De solder the FFC socket
2) Trim the cable to a sensible length (gauge this by holding everything in place, but approx. 4cm)
3) Scrape the white insulation off the 4 tracks
4) Solder the FFC socket onto the cable offset to achieve the connections below.
4a) Use a low temperature setting and practice on the off cut - that cable melts far too easily.
5) Use a small piece of wrapping wire (or similar) to connect the remaining track / pin.
6) Once you've tested it, use some hot glue over your soldering to keep everything insulated and robust.

Handwriting Gesture Font Rectangle Writing

This was the drawing I made for myself at the time to visualise how to make an adapter.
I haven't drawn the adapter itself, only the result that is required.

Edit: Found a photo.
Overexposed so you can't see the connections, but they are silver side up:
Sleeve Rectangle Font Bookmark Electric blue

It's pretty obvious when it's wrong, as either X/Y input are swapped, or the direction of the axis is reversed (left is right, etc). You can also measure the resistance (values and pins above) and compare to the original.

The screen assembly comes apart pretty easily. Just methodically unscrew and keep track of where it goes back. The cables and connectors are fiddly, but there are no hidden springs or gotchas that I came across.

The exit of the flat cable from the digitiser is slightly offset compared to the original so you have to carefully squeeze it between the board and casing.
The original digitiser has some black foam around the edges. I didn't have any on the new panel, but it has been fine in the car since.
It's surprising how much clearer the new digitiser is - I guess the sunlight took its toll.

Sorry for the lack of photos - although I considered it, I didn't dare pull my wife's car apart again in order to document everything!

Edit: I found another photo of the adapter connected to the digitiser:
Office supplies Textile Wood Wind instrument Tool

·
Registered
7 Posts
Assuming everything goes to plan, you can get the panel calibrated properly:
[credit: Google / Reddit "leaf ze0 touch panel calibration"]
  • Start the car.
  • Set the radio to FM.
  • Press MAP 3 times, Audio Power twice (bottom left), and MAP one more time.
    This should open the System Diagnostic Menu.
    (Experiment with timing if it doesn't work first time)
  • Tap Confirmation/Adjustment.
  • Tap Display Diagnosis.
  • Tap Touch Panel.
  • Tap Touch Panel Calibration.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to recalibrate the four corners.
Product Plant Automotive design Gadget Audio equipment

·
Registered
47 Posts
  • Start the car.
Hi, thanks very much for your detailed input on how to do this. I am too "faint of heart" to try this right now.., I will probably do it once I cannot do anything useful on my screen. At present I can flip from 80 to 100% charge, which is all I really need since BT is connected, and I do music on the phone and navigation using Gmaps... maybe once Simon @saj75 succeeds and maybe takes even more photos, I'll feel confident. Just the idea of removing tiny screws from a place where they could fall and disappear in the car, mechanisms being unscrewed that may not fit together again if I fail,and having to desolder and solder miniature things without going mad etc... scary, and I don't have a spare £1k to throw away if I do fail!

I am amazed the screen actually fits seamlessly, is it able to be moved with the screen tilt / CD input function?

Thanks again,
Mark.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Again, @art103 thanks for the detailed reply. I'm not too put off by the description and photos and have ordered the part and give it a go when I get a couple of quiet days. I've tilted the screen a few times now and can see the screws and the ribbon cable underneath. Will be sure to take photos and share them @MarkPalmos when I get around to it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Again, @art103 thanks for the detailed reply. I'm not too put off by the description and photos and have ordered the part and give it a go when I get a couple of quiet days. I've tilted the screen a few times now and can see the screws and the ribbon cable underneath. Will be sure to take photos and share them @MarkPalmos when I get around to it.
OOOOO yes please!!
Thanks, do let us know, and GOOD LUCK with it...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am amazed the screen actually fits seamlessly, is it able to be moved with the screen tilt / CD input function?
I'm not sure what you mean by this - the replacement digitiser is (almost) the same as what is already inside the display unit so replacing it looks and behaves exactly as the original.
There is a sandwich of touch digitiser, LCD panel and PCB that fits inside the black rectangle.

Regarding the 80% / 100%:
If you set the charge schedule to 80% between 00.00 and 23.59, you can then use the 'charge timer override' button to enable 100% charging.
If you have the 'My Leaf' app, you can also enable 100% charging via the 'Tap to engage' power button once charging has started.

Just my 2 pence, but might help :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts