Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone fitted a tow bar bike rack to a Kona ev. My dealer said its OK and a previous customer did it, was wondering if it causes any problems with sensors etc?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The Kona Electric is NOT allowed to have a towbar fitted so the previous customer might run into problems...! More seriously they will have invalidated the warranty too. You might want to "educate" your dealer...

·
Registered
17,436 Posts
Just make sure you don’t fit anything aftermarket. Wheels, vinyl wrap, air freshener.

Your insurance will disown you, you dealer won’t even give you a shrug and the wife and dog will walk out on you.

All because you tried to be a little different.

·
Registered
Kona 64
555 Posts
In Germany the type approval allows the fittng of a towbar ‘bike rack‘. So its just down to Hyundai UK thinking UK owners don't have bikes. The part is available in Germany.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The guy at the towbar place said at first he didn't think you could but then found a towbar specifically for the ev version and said there was only one available. So there wouldn't be a part if not allowed to, what your not allowed to do is tow with it legally as the car has no tow rating but from what I understand bike rack is fine. Also warrenty would only be an issue if they can prove the tow bar caused the problem you tried to claim for, they can't legally void the warrenty for everything.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Oops. Stupid post, sorry!! I hadn't spotted the words "bike rack" for some reason :rolleyes::unsure: What an idiot! Apologies, disregard my nonsense :)

Reactions: freddym

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Probably fair ;)

By the way I assume your VPN is currently locating you in Antartica, given that's the flag below your name in the post (it helpfully says where the flag corresponds to if you hover over it)? :)

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes fine for bike carriers but not for any kind of towing, I believe its rated for 100kg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts