Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq EV Premium 38.3kWh (Leaf 30 sold)
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been following the thread about the roof rails load capacity as I was looking at the MG5 as a replacement for my Leaf and family people carrier. The one issue I have is I have to carry bikes a lot as sons race and so do I so wondering if anybody knows if you can have a towbar fitted to the MG5 just for bike racks ? This would then avoid carrying them on the roof as the load capacity would easily be overloaded.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've just checked the MG accessory list and found this which probably gets into the whole argument that the towbar is not to tow but for a bike rack so I doubt there is one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd be interested to know if people think it's safe to use a bike rack for hatchbacks such as the Saris Bones. I used one on my LEAF but only carried one bike as I did not want tp scratch the paintwork.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,145 Posts
I'd be interested to know if people think it's safe to use a bike rack for hatchbacks such as the Saris Bones. I used one on my LEAF but only carried one bike as I did not want tp scratch the paintwork.
You'll probably find if the car has a plastic spoiler/finishing trim on top edge of boot that it can't support a Saris Bones type bike carrier. I don't think the Leaf can either technically, but I see so many post of folk just doing it or moving it so the supports are in the wrong place on the roof and claiming its ok. Its all fun and games until one flies off when your driving along.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just to add some info. I also had the same issue with my first edition e niro, it is also not rated for towing. I have an e bike so to heavy for roof.

So... brink now do a towbar that is only for carrying a cycle carrier, it has pins in the ball part. I am unsure if it will fit your car, visit the brink site and it will tell you what towbars will fit. I know the brink 663200 is specifically for a first edition niro.

Have to be carefull with insurance as some refuse to add it on, mine (LV) have no issue as they log it as cycle carrier only towbar.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking at this from a different angle - has anyone fitted roof bars to the Excite model now we know the roof rails on the Exclusive are purely for show ? Just a thought as conventional roof bars going over the door may work on the Excite.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts