Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched for the answer but cannot find it but wondering before I purchase a new Leaf if I can fit a tow ball so I can fit a bike rack to carry up to four bikes. Has anyone managed this ? I have seen someone able to do it in the states but don't want to go down the route if Nissan do not allow this use. Thanks.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,182 Posts
It's not type approved for towing.

But you wouldn't be towing.

So .....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Insurance companies only care that you have one fitted that shouldn't be. Any excuse not to pay out on a claim. Same goes for warrenty etc. But.. you can always ask them both.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies - my concern also was about insurance and warranty etc. as how do you prove you have only used it for bikes and not towing ! Need to rethink as really want to get a leaf but also coach cycling so quite often need to transport bikes but will look at other options ...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi

My (secondhand) Leaf has had one fitted - it's called a Brink RMC. Brink appears to be a Thule brand and the same thing is sold in other markets as a Thule. It has a lip on the ball to stop it being used as a towbar. Unfortunately it's gone dark now so I can't do a photo.

I don't really want to carry bikes, though occasionally I need to carry a wheelchair, so I am investigating having it taken off, because in order to fit it they cut a really big hole in the rear diffuser, and all in it must weigh 10kg which I am hauling around all the time. However, the rear diffuser is apparently £168!

·
Registered
86 Posts
The Brink RMC is no longer imported into the UK. Thule no longer does towbars in the UK.

I have looked into this extensively and as a Thule dealer even I have concluded its a non starter.

However the Leaf roofbars (969 Thule) are wide enough for 4 bike holders - 598's for example. It totally screws your range obviously.

·
Registered
187 Posts
^^^^^
Clearer view of the law but...

My reply was very carefully written - 'can a towbar be fitted' (ie: can a towbar be physically fitted) - not 'can I fit a towbar' (ie: can I legally fit a towbar).

I cannot legally kill someone - but there is nothing to stop me killing someone.

So both the car and towbar need to be approved for towing? On by the manufacturer the other by EU or BSI or whoever tests the towbars? You can then legally marry the two together.

·
27,182 Posts
It's a moot point whether simply 'fitting' a tow bar contravenes the law.

In theory, the act of fitting a tow bar immediately makes it a towing vehicle. However, there is plenty of precedent against that which you could claim. Fitting a tow bar to a 4x4 instantly puts its GTW over 3.5 tonnes, and therefore any 4x4 with a tow bar should also need a tachograph. In theory.

I can't believe any court would convict on the basis of a tow bar fitted that you used for a bike rack and weren't towing with. But judges come up with truly idiotic ruling sometimes, any ruling would just be random.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Not a moot point at all. It is unlawful to fit a tow bar not type approved for the particular vehicle.
Full stop.
It's a moot point whether simply 'fitting' a tow bar contravenes the law.

In theory, the act of fitting a tow bar immediately makes it a towing vehicle. However, there is plenty of precedent against that which you could claim. Fitting a tow bar to a 4x4 instantly puts its GTW over 3.5 tonnes, and therefore any 4x4 with a tow bar should also need a tachograph. In theory.

I can't believe any court would convict on the basis of a tow bar fitted that you used for a bike rack and weren't towing with. But judges come up with truly idiotic ruling sometimes, any ruling would just be random.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies - glad I asked the question before progressing on purchase so I can look at rear mounted carriers etc. Its not a deal breaker but having to transport up to four or five bikes will be a little hard, looks like my ageing diesel passat estate will be staying with me a little longer than planned.

·
27,182 Posts
Not a moot point at all. It is unlawful to fit a tow bar not type approved for the particular vehicle.
Full stop.
Please reference the statute.

As I say, it is, in the same way that it is unlawful to fit a tow bar on a 4x4 without also installing a tachograph.

The question is not what the strict wording of legislation means, it is what is considered reasonable. The courts have never followed the letter of the law in their adjudications unless they choose to do so.

My wife drives around in the Espace with a tow bar. Technically she is not licensed to do so as she does not have B+E. I bet this is true of thousands of people.

·
Registered
158 Posts
We have a rack that fits to the back of the car without a tow-bar. It can carry 2-3 bikes
dunkeld, car with bikes.jpg

Reactions: djsoftware

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the picture - what do you do about the lights being obscured by the bikes ? That was the reason I went with a towbar fitted rack originally as then it had its own light cluster.

·
Zoe Q210 Dynamique Intens, Kia Niro PHEV
1,414 Posts
Please reference the statute.

As I say, it is, in the same way that it is unlawful to fit a tow bar on a 4x4 without also installing a tachograph.

The question is not what the strict wording of legislation means, it is what is considered reasonable. The courts have never followed the letter of the law in their adjudications unless they choose to do so.

My wife drives around in the Espace with a tow bar. Technically she is not licensed to do so as she does not have B+E. I bet this is true of thousands of people.
Total rubbish as your B licence allows towing a 750kg trailer even if the car is at 3500kg making a total of 4250kg. How can this be done by your logic?

The tachograph point is only if the car is being used for business purposes. I can hire a 7.5T lorry & use without a tachograph card installed as long as it is for personal use only. To use a tachograph my understanding is you need an Operators Licence.

My licence allows a 750kg trailer on top of my 7500kg (C1) meaning technically I can drive 8250kg.

·
Zoe Q210 Dynamique Intens, Kia Niro PHEV
1,414 Posts
Thanks for the picture - what do you do about the lights being obscured by the bikes ? That was the reason I went with a towbar fitted rack originally as then it had its own light cluster.
Agreed it is not good that the lights are covered, but there is nothing stopping you having a 7 or 13 pin electric socket fitted and then using a light board.

2 on the back & 3 on the roof would be the best way I know to legally carry 5 bikes. However personally like strap on carriers I prefer clip on ones.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts