Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
@whereswally606 - You still haven't told us which ebay seller is willing to send one to the UK.
All the sellers I have tried will not do it.
Where did you get yours from?
Cheers and good luck with the towball.
Tony.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Barfly, I thought there were posts saying that towing brackets for other Nissan models, commonly sold in the UK, would fit the Leaf. This would save all the shenanigans importing from the US.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
View attachment 130721

The picture above is for a Juke.

Have you looked at your Leaf to see where the mounting holes/threads are located.

regards
The LEAF is completely different to the Joke, and in fact lacks all of the necessary predrilled holes for any of the towbars meaning that you have to drill some yourself. Brink manufacture(d?) a towbar which available for under £200 and has full EU certification (for carrying bikes, not towing - we have been around that enough times) which seems more attractive to me than messing around with the Curt alternative that doesn't provide the certification or compatibility with UK bike racks etc. But each to their own.

Reactions: Tooks

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
The LEAF is completely different to the Joke, and in fact lacks all of the necessary predrilled holes for any of the towbars meaning that you have to drill some yourself. Brink manufacture(d?) a towbar which available for under £200 and has full EU certification (for carrying bikes, not towing - we have been around that enough times) which seems more attractive to me than messing around with the Curt alternative that doesn't provide the certification or compatibility with UK bike racks etc. But each to their own.
Can you remember where that Brink towbar was listed and better still any part numbers?

·
Registered
198 Posts
i understand @dk6780 reservations about the curt one imported from the US. Basically it has a higher load rating that the brink. For my purposes this mattered as i intend to carry two diy converted Downhill electric bikes and they are not light. 150lbs tongue weight i.e. 68 kg compared to the brink one at 52kg. when you start adding on the weight of the carrier too there isn't alot left for bikes.

@Barfly
leaf curt hitch on ebay
this is the item i bought. Id recommend finding the 1 1/4" to 50mm ball hitch at the same time (i lucked out on one in the uk second hand but there are like rocking horse shit over here). and dont forget a 0.5" pin.

For most people though i think a brink one from pfjones would be fine and in total cost less. Its the one Emile from Muxsan has on his car, although it should be noted he may be using it to tow and thus isn't so bothered about the vertical weight issues.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Interesting points. Towing exerts a much larger force on a tow hitch than the official rating when navigating ramps etc. so Emile must be confident of the fixings of the towbar to the rear chassis members.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Really like this towbar option but I'm guessing its going to cost around £175 for the towbar and then the cost for the bike rack and any other cost if needed. For me right now I guess i'll have to go with the cheaper option and pick up the saris bones 2.
Just ordered a couple of bikes for the kids so the cheaper option for now makes sense

·
Registered
349 Posts
Apart from the exorbitant pricing of the Brink hitch, that one has a fitted towball with a design to stop the fitting of a normal 50mm receptacle. I have a nice Thule dual bike rack which has a normal 50mm towball fixing, and don't want to buy yet another one. I am running out of garage space as it is. As wwally says, the combined weight of a couple of e-bikes and the bike rack is too much for the Brink job.
Thanks for the link wwally. Still waiting for your pictures!
Cheers Tony.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Apart from the exorbitant pricing of the Brink hitch, that one has a fitted towball with a design to stop the fitting of a normal 50mm receptacle. I have a nice Thule dual bike rack which has a normal 50mm towball fixing, and don't want to buy yet another one. I am running out of garage space as it is. As wwally says, the combined weight of a couple of e-bikes and the bike rack is too much for the Brink job.
Thanks for the link wwally. Still waiting for your pictures!
Cheers Tony.
Does your Thule bike rack need a flange mounted towball?

I'm guessing the Bink is a swan neck towball. This is pretty much the "normal" across Europe.

·
Registered
349 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, i have bought and installed the leaf tow bar from PF jones You are being redirected... but it has come with a universal lighting kit for 7 pin. I have no idea how to fit this and the local auto electrician says he wont try as there are controls on the leaf to stop you doing this. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you're looking for a tow bar attachment for fitting a bike carrier to, not towing Brink manufacture one. Brink UK does not import it, I bought mine from a company in Germany who sell through Ebay. They list two different models, one for the ZE0 and one for ZE1. The only difference is the wiring kit. It is a simple fit, certainly a DIY job as the wiring is plug and play. It has a 13 pin socket, although it is only wired for lights. There are two pins on the side of the tow ball which prevent you from towing a trailer. Ours has been used numerous times to carry our Ebikes on an Altera bike rack.

Thanks

Graham
Hi, do you have any details on the company or the wiring kit? i have a 7 pin universal kit but no information on how to fit. thank you.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you, Hi, yes there is a relay like that with it. where is best to connect this to on the leaf, is there a wiring harness or something?

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Thank you, Hi, yes there is a relay like that with it. where is best to connect this to on the leaf, is there a wiring harness or something?
The wiring harnesses to the rear lights and the wiring for the fog lamp is on the boot floor as it was a major afterthought. You need an extra power feed from a switched (not permanent) live from a fusebox. I took mine from the front down the centre tunnel.

101 - 120 of 144 Posts