Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
This is an odd place to open this discussion and probably needs moving moderators.

I agree and don't really understand why EV manufacturers are reticent to allow tow bars to be fitted.

I used to have a BMW M3 that although had a 3.2 litre engine, wasn't homologated for towing yet a standard 3 series tow bar bolted straight on to pre drilled holes in the body and it happily pulled my Vortex EV's trailer twice to the SVA inspector.

Otherwise it was used to pull a small trailer to take junk to the dump (reclamation facility) which is what I would like my Ampera to do.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Will be the first question I ask about the MG eZS when i go in on Friday.
109bhp and 160 Nm = 500g
148bhp and 350Nm (and +160 to 200 kg for the pack) = ???

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is an odd place to open this discussion and probably needs moving moderators.

I agree and don't really understand why EV manufacturers are reticent to allow tow bars to be fitted.

I used to have a BMW M3 that although had a 3.2 litre engine, wasn't homologated for towing yet a standard 3 series tow bar bolted straight on to pre drilled holes in the body and it happily pulled my Vortex EV's trailer twice to the SVA inspector.

Otherwise it was used to pull a small trailer to take junk to the dump (reclamation facility) which is what I would like my Ampera to do.
I already asked the mods to delete it as I just saw the "general" title and thought it was General EV chat... I opened a thread in the General EV chat :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
109bhp and 160 Nm = 500g
I called MG a few weeks ago. The sales guy admitted he knew ZERO about EV's, but that he was going on a few days training the next day. Anyhow, they told me that the head office is telling them to expect the eZS by Sept-Oct in showrooms for sale. As I already own a 4yo Kia Soul 27kw, this car is on my radar

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
109bhp and 160 Nm = 500g
I called MG a few weeks ago. The sales guy admitted he knew ZERO about EV's, but that he was going on a few days training the next day. Anyhow, they told me that the head office is telling them to expect the eZS by Sept-Oct in showrooms for sale. As I already own a 4yo Kia Soul 27kw, this car is on my radar

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
When the first generation of production EVs were designed the market for towing requirement was considered a Niche within a Niche.
It must be relatively simple to qualify any vehicle for towing up to whatever weight would be safe. They would need to allow for it in drive management and braking software. It would be easier than in an ice vehicle to do because you could instantly measure the response to drive torque and measure the extra load and thus enforce safe driving in all cases, even refusing to go above repositioning sort of speeds if it is above the qualified limit. EVs are inherently capable from a torque perspective. It will come with more mass produced models in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts