Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't care if it's not designed specifically for towing, I want the freedom to pull a small < 1250kg load in the form of a 3m Rib on a small road trailer just occasionally - like 2 journeys a year.
A detachable Towbar design could accomplish that admirably. That way no compromise to the CD 0.33 for the rest of the year.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Hi Rick, clearly you know that the Ampera is not approved for towing and I agree with you, I can't see any reason why towing a small trailer shouldn't be any problem at all. My concern though is one of insurance. would you get insurance for any modification you might make to add a tow bar given that the car does not have any towing approval?

Bear in mind that some insurers won't even insure a car that does have approval to tow if a tow bar is fitted!!! Madness I know but there you are :shock:

I really don't know why they couldn't have approved towing of a small trailer.

If you are thinking of fitting a custom bar... I had a really good look at the back because I was thinking the same as you and I don't quite know how a tow bar could be fitted given the position of the fog light... it is very low.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are already at least two different companies making tow hitches for the Volt, which bolt in hidden completely behind the rear bumper, and one is is designed to be stealth (it has the receiver hidden behind the license plate, which is modified to hinge out of the way when towing)

They are rated for light duty only, I think about 100 lbs tongue weight, but appear to be very well made.

You can do a search on the GM-Volt site to find them.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Why would anyone be prepared to add a towbar when Vauxhall have explicitly and clearly indicated that it is not for towing? It would possibly be illegal not to mention the implications should you ever be involved in a serious accident.

With all insurance companies we are obliged to inform them of any material change to our circumstances or that of the car. Even fitting a tow bar to a car that can tow means we must inform the insurance company. IAssuming then that you do inform your insurance company that you have fitted a tow bar and intend to tow do you thing they will agree given that the car does not have any towing weights and limits and that the manufacturer has said you must not tow? Try it and see what they say.

I certainly appreciate people's desire to tow something small but this car is not legal to tow... simple as that.

SharlVolt, you live in California. The law might be very different there than it is here in the UK so you have to make your own mind up as to the legal and insurance situation there. Here in the UK it is crystal clear... we must not tow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For the Volt, these tow hitches are primarily so they can mount a bike rack in the receiver, and avoid having to mount bike carriers on the roof.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't care if it's not designed specifically for towing, I want the freedom to pull a small < 1250kg load in the form of a 3m Rib on a small road trailer just occasionally - like 2 journeys a year.
A detachable Towbar design could accomplish that admirably. That way no compromise to the CD 0.33 for the rest of the year.
how did you get on with tow bar? i am looking to do the same

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It came down to the legality of it, given they state the vehicle is not qualified for towing in the handbook.

-- Richard Goldsmith : Ampera (2012). EVangelist & Sustainability Champion.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts