Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just saw Tesla Bjorns latest video and he mentioned Kona could now tow. I had a look at Hyundai Norway’s website using translate and over there, cars built from March can have a tow bar rated at 300kg. Older Kona’s can have a 100kg tow bar for vertical loads only.

Any idea if this applies to UK cars too? Cant find mention of it. Wonder if UK cars come from a different factory and are missing something added to the Norway cars, or if it’s just a homologation issue now

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good day - there has been quite a bit of discussion going on over here in Germany about this subject. I have personally requested feedback from Hyundai Gemany as well. It appears that each country/importer (like Hyundai Germany or Huyndai UK) have their own mindset about this and agree or not agree. Austria came up with a certificate allowing to tow normally (earlier this year) but was then told not discontinue that, lately Denmark has come up with what Bjoern mentions. The Germans are not clear, they don't seem to allow this. Although cars that are produced in Czechia now are partly delivered with an entry covering this in the official paper. All in all, there is big confusion now, in the end only Huyndai UK can tell you, whether or not they will go along with that. Some people are attaching the tow thing anyhow, but risk their warranty, if somethjing goes wrong. Some only need for bike, which I think is ok upto max 100 kg incl the tow hardware. Better ask H. UK for that.

·
Registered
Kona 64
538 Posts
If you have ever been to Denmark (out in the countryside) you will see that every other car seems to be towing one of those small trailers. So I guess that Hyundai Denmark saw this as a marketing advanrage and thus included the option. It would suit me as I have one of those small trailers which I used to tow with my previous Hyundai IX35.

The chances of Hyundai UK rising to the challenge are probably around zero but you can ask.There is just not the same pent up demand in the UK so they probably can't be arsed. Its a crazy situation that the fitting holes are there but unless Hyundai UK say yes you can't use them.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So frustrating, I feared this would be the case.

The VIN plate that shows the towing limits on the door, is that added separately in each country, or do they come with it from the factory?

I wonder how much is costs Hyundai to get the car homologated. If they get one extra sale from adding a tow bar that’s over £30,000 they otherwise would not get. I guess if they can sell them all as they are why bother.

With staycations and camping likely to get more popular with covid, more folk will want a trailer. They are missing a trick.

Auto Express said yesterday a face lift Kona EV is coming next year, maybe they will add towing as part of that....

·
Registered
Kona 64
538 Posts
So frustrating, I feared this would be the case.

The VIN plate that shows the towing limits on the door, is that added separately in each country, or do they come with it from the factory?

I wonder how much is costs Hyundai to get the car homologated. If they get one extra sale from adding a tow bar that’s over £30,000 they otherwise would not get. I guess if they can sell them all as they are why bother.

With staycations and camping likely to get more popular with covid, more folk will want a trailer. They are missing a trick.

Auto Express said yesterday a face lift Kona EV is coming next year, maybe they will add towing as part of that....
We are talking Hyundai UK here. Perhaps with the new Nissan Ariya having towing capability up to 1500kg Hyundai will see the market opportunity? Do not hold your breath.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
If you have ever been to Denmark (out in the countryside) you will see that every other car seems to be towing one of those small trailers. So I guess that Hyundai Denmark saw this as a marketing advanrage and thus included the option. It would suit me as I have one of those small trailers which I used to tow with my previous Hyundai IX35.

The chances of Hyundai UK rising to the challenge are probably around zero but you can ask.There is just not the same pent up demand in the UK so they probably can't be arsed. Its a crazy situation that the fitting holes are there but unless Hyundai UK say yes you can't use them.
If its homologated in one European country, it must apply across all. Don't understand the fuss.

·
Registered
Kona 64
538 Posts
Depends which MY you are considering. :unsure:
Unless the UK drifted out past Ireland into the mid Atlantic overnight the UK is still part of Europe as it has been for many millions of years.

As regards this tow bar issue you will find each EU country appears to be able to decide. Germany approved the fitting of towbars for bike carriers back in 2018, presumably at the request of Hyundai Germany. Hyundai UK need a nudge on this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm from Bulgaria, driving Kona EV for 18 months. From day One I wanted to add towbar. I read few positive articles from Australia. After I saw that Hyundai Denmark decided to advertise that Kona EV (2020 only?!) can tow up to 300 kg, I decided to move forward. I chose Galia as a towbar producer and teglich.bg as a local representative. Today successfully mounted the towbar with fully wired 13 pin electrical installation.

At Bulgaria Hyundai Kona EV towing capacity at O.1 and O.2 is set to *. Not sure what * means but it is not 0 kg.

Hyundai generally does not forbid towing. The exact statement by Hyundai in the Owners Manual is "We do not recommend using this car to tow a trailer". What that exactly means?! Thank you for your recommendation! But I don't see any problem this car to tow 1300 kg as the ICE and Plug-In Hybrid model.

As well Hyundai Denmark states that the towbar can be mounted ONLY on 2020 model. What is the difference between 2020 and 2018 models related to towing? Nothing!

You can check pictures from the mounting here.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
What is the difference between 2020 and 2018 models related to towing? Nothing!
Mechanically you are probably correct.
Unfortunately in many countries cars have to be 'type approved' for towing. If they aren't then towing with them is illegal and your insurance will likely be invalid.
The various weights permitted are shown on the vehicle rating plate which is fitted at the factory. No numbers, or 0, means no towing, so it's not something that can easily be backdated to older cars.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,395 Posts
Serious Q -- does holding a cycle rack on the tow ball count as towing ?
I only need one for that, not trailer /caravan hauling.

My local dealer says they can't fit one "as its an EV", despite my limited use intentions.
They have suggested a local independent fitter might be able to. I don't doubt that but I am now worried that if I have a accident whilst it is in use, the insurance company might get funny.
I am going to ask the local place if physically they can "at my risk", and then if yes and I can afford it, then I will write to the insurance company and get their answer in writing back before spending any money.
(And post something here).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mechanically you are probably correct.
Unfortunately in many countries cars have to be 'type approved' for towing. If they aren't then towing with them is illegal and your insurance will likely be invalid.
The various weights permitted are shown on the vehicle rating plate which is fitted at the factory. No numbers, or 0, means no towing, so it's not something that can easily be backdated to older cars.
My personal opinion is that EU (and probably UK) have toooooo many regulations for such a simple thing - towing. There are no special mechanics or car systems that are needed to tow. It should be just a function of the vehicle mass.

The insurance company don't care about that - they pay even when you do the things wrong. So this should be not the case. There is no special paragraph in my contract.
Maybe Hyundai could try to void the warranty BUT should prove that the towing is the reason! How they can prove that? So I can put 4 bikes on the roof BUT I'm not allowed to tow 1,300 kg caravan. From my previous experience I can prove that 4 bikes on the roof with 130 km/h is even more resistant than towing 1,300 kg caravan with 90 km/h. Believe me!

And how they will know that I ever towed something? I intend to use my towbar just for bicycle carrier. Just having a towbar does not mean that you ever towed anything.

The only problem is the police - they will definitely fine you if you don't have numbers against O.1 and O.2 and you tow. That's for sure!

This guy covers in details the case in Australia: Towing a caravan with an electric car - can it be done?
This one is very good, too: Tow Story: Hauling a camper trailer with an electric Kona

I like the approach in Australia. Unfortunately don't think that EU will ever have such simple regulation. You can check it in the first link above in paragraph 3. Is it legal to do so?

·
Registered
Kona64
1,395 Posts
fyi. towbarexpress.co.uk gives me a pricing if I put my reg number in to their website.
This is not the place I was hoping to use, but I was looking for a rough pricing and a plan B.

Also pfjones.co.uk has online quoted me for fitting " Hyundai KONA Electric =ONLY 06/2017 Onwards"

both these organisations seem to operate nationally so may be of interest to those watching this situation.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
The insurance company don't care about that - they pay even when you do the things wrong. So this should be not the case. There is no special paragraph in my contract.
It doesn't need a special paragraph. There will be generic clauses about using and maintaining the vehicle correctly.
If you are involved in an accident while towing with a car that is not rated for it then there is a good chance your insurers will disown you.
You agree that being caught by the police is a problem ... It's not impossible they could add driving without proper insurance to any charges.

If you are happy to take those risks then that is your responsibility, but please don't tell other people it is OK.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,411 Posts
It doesn't need a special paragraph. There will be generic clauses about using and maintaining the vehicle correctly.
If you are involved in an accident while towing with a car that is not rated for it then there is a good chance your insurers will disown you.
You agree that being caught by the police is a problem ... It's not impossible they could add driving without proper insurance to any charges.

If you are happy to take those risks then that is your responsibility, but please don't tell other people it is OK.
He is happy, as he hasn't had an issue so far. But it is a different story, finding out that you don't have insurance at the worst possible moment, right after you have been in a crash.

Sadly insurance only comes up at such times and people generally don't consider it the rest of the time....

Reactions: mikegs
1 - 20 of 29 Posts