Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
My personal opinion is that EU (and probably UK) have toooooo many regulations for such a simple thing - towing. There are no special mechanics or car systems that are needed to tow. It should be just a function of the vehicle mass.

The insurance company don't care about that - they pay even when you do the things wrong. So this should be not the case. There is no special paragraph in my contract.
Maybe Hyundai could try to void the warranty BUT should prove that the towing is the reason! How they can prove that? So I can put 4 bikes on the roof BUT I'm not allowed to tow 1,300 kg caravan. From my previous experience I can prove that 4 bikes on the roof with 130 km/h is even more resistant than towing 1,300 kg caravan with 90 km/h. Believe me!

And how they will know that I ever towed something? I intend to use my towbar just for bicycle carrier. Just having a towbar does not mean that you ever towed anything.

The only problem is the police - they will definitely fine you if you don't have numbers against O.1 and O.2 and you tow. That's for sure!

This guy covers in details the case in Australia: Towing a caravan with an electric car - can it be done?
This one is very good, too: Tow Story: Hauling a camper trailer with an electric Kona

I like the approach in Australia. Unfortunately don't think that EU will ever have such simple regulation. You can check it in the first link above in paragraph 3. Is it legal to do so?
It's total BS isn't it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guys, the thread is about "Towing 300 kg". In my opinion as Hyundai Kona EV 2020 can tow 300 kg in Denmark and Norway, it is technically fine to tow 300 kg in other countries!
My opinion was about the complex regulations in EU. And liked the Australian ones.

I hope that my post helps people who are searching for a towbar that fits the Kona EV

I don't want to comment more on insurance topic - I'm sure that there are differences between the countries.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
In my opinion as Hyundai Kona EV 2020 can tow 300 kg in Denmark and Norway, it is technically fine to tow 300 kg in other countries!
My opinion was about the complex regulations in EU. And liked the Australian ones.
So you think people should ignore the regulations in their country if they don't suit them?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Serious Q -- does holding a cycle rack on the tow ball count as towing ?
I only need one for that, not trailer /caravan hauling.

My local dealer says they can't fit one "as its an EV", despite my limited use intentions.
They have suggested a local independent fitter might be able to. I don't doubt that but I am now worried that if I have a accident whilst it is in use, the insurance company might get funny.
I am going to ask the local place if physically they can "at my risk", and then if yes and I can afford it, then I will write to the insurance company and get their answer in writing back before spending any money.
(And post something here).
No it's classed as a vertical weight on the tow bar and is rated for 100kg. I have one on mine for my ebike. There is a towbar specifically for the ev

·
Registered
Kona64
1,402 Posts
No it's classed as a vertical weight on the tow bar and is rated for 100kg. I have one on mine for my ebike. There is a towbar specifically for the ev
Thank you - can you tell me how you got yours fitted ? Did you just ring around places until you found a fitter who would ? I am guessing from the flag icon you are located in the UK.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,402 Posts
...And further to me asking if my insurer would cover me if I had one fitted to my EV, they ignored the email question but without asking me or me asking them to do so, they [ Admiral] modified my policy (at no charge) and it now says

So, I can use it with piece of insurance mind, I now just have to find someone to fit one !

·
Registered
Kona64
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Brink specially developed the RMC bike carrier solution for hybrid and electric cars. This is a bike carrier solution that cannot be used to pull a trailer or a caravan, but can be used for a bicycle rack. This allows you to always have your bicycles with you. Some models will not fit on the RMC bike carrier solution. You can find them on the following list.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you - can you tell me how you got yours fitted ? Did you just ring around places until you found a fitter who would ? I am guessing from the flag icon you are located in the UK.
Yes I'm in the uk, when I spoke to the dealer they said that a customer that had just bought one and had it fitted so I went to the same company in Stockport. North West tow bar centre, cost £380 for a removable brink.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts