Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Design 2.4
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I picked up a new 2.4 Outlander PHEV, we tow a 1500kg caravan, I have been searching through the 2020 online and manufacture manual and cannot find any meaningful information as regarding towing of a caravan, there is nothing about tyre pressure or which mode to use for towing, the 2.0 version Mitsubishi recommended using charge mode for towing, the new 2.4 nothing is mentioned ?

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Ask Mitsubishi to confirm this and that it is suitable for your needs ASAP while you still have the chance to reject the car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why would I wont to reject the car, I am basically asking a question from someone who has experience of towing with the Outlander PHEV in particular the new 2.4.

It may simply be the upgraded engine larger battery and larger rear motor alone with new electronic no longer require switching to charge mode straight away for towing.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Why would I wont to reject the car, I am basically asking a question from someone who has experience of towing with the Outlander PHEV in particular the new 2.4.

It may simply be the upgraded engine larger battery and larger rear motor alone with new electronic no longer require switching to charge mode straight away for towing.
If you are towing on a longish route, presumably your only choice if notice power will be the engine. Dies that make a difference to the mode you will select?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am assuming use the battery down to about 50% then switch to charge mode

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Why do you think that some little bloke on a forum will know better than Mitsubishi? And in the unlikely event that it's wrong, who is most likely to honour the warranty

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why do you think that some little bloke on a forum will know better than Mitsubishi? And in the unlikely event that it's wrong, who is most likely to honour the warranty
Sorry but you have completely lost me, the car is fine, I just need some advice for those who have towed with a Outlander PHEV

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
OP, there is a video sponsored by Mitsubishi with Neil Greentree
. He is towing a max weight caravan (about 1500kg)

Its clear that the Outlander PHEV as a tug works best when in generator mode. Ie don't let the battery go flat or aim for electric only towing.

Mitsubishi should ideally put you in touch with Neil Geenway to answer your detailed questions.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
OP, there is a video sponsored by Mitsubishi with Neil Greentree
. He is towing a max weight caravan (about 1500kg)

Its clear that the Outlander PHEV as a tug works best when in generator mode. Ie don't let the battery go flat or aim for electric only towing.

Mitsubishi should ideally put you in touch with Neil Geenway to answer your detailed questions.
wrong video

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have watched that video before, no I don't believe his claims, I am leaning towards running the car on charge above 40 mph

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I have watched that video before, no I don't believe his claims, I am leaning towards running the car on charge above 40 mph
I suspect that for towing DONT use the e mode, use the default Hybrid Mode. Use Save (double press) if you anticipate slow manoevering up a steep hill or other scenario where you need maximum motor power.

Presumably your dealer can help with the finer points.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The buttons have been changed on the 2020 model, there is a separate button for EV mode, and a button for Save/Charge, 1 press Save/2 press Charge.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I have got all of that, let the PHEV sort it out and use the save button to hold a charge in reserve. I will try that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts