Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
I know how frustrating it is but it's not worth the risk. It will invalidate the warrenty and insurance and is also illegal as it's not type approved to tow. If you really must then at least wait until it's out of warrenty but the legality will still apply.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Apparently a clio one will fit. Nothing illegal about fitting a tow bar and perfectly acceptable to fit a bike rack on one.
Only becomes unlawful once you attach a trailer. ............ but chances of plod pulling you for it ???????

·
Registered
187 Posts
Have to disagree with you on that one. The tow bar must be type approved for the vehicle so a clio one may fit but it's illegal to do so whether it's used or not. Nothing to stop you from fitting one but it will invalidate everything as mentioned. As you say the chances of the average copper knowing that a Zoe can't have a tow bar....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Even buying an old banger of an EV is not really on :cautious:
If I were to have an accident, they would 'throw the book' at me :sick:
Do't know what the solution is at the mo.:confused:
Don't fancy a PHEV at all, too few miles as an EV

·
Registered
187 Posts
The model X is the only BEV that can tow (at least in the US it was advertised with a towing weight of 2500Kg). Don't know if it has been given UK type approval as the same as there are only a handful of RHDs in the country.

Anyone on here ordered one with the intention of towing, or seen the official spec UK sheet?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The model X is the only BEV that can tow (at least in the US it was advertised with a towing weight of 2500Kg). Don't know if it has been given UK type approval as the same as there are only a handful of RHDs in the country.

Anyone on here ordered one with the intention of towing, or seen the official spec UK sheet?
Model X? That must be the Tesla then,with the weight to pull 2.1/2 tons :cool:
Fantastic, but way out of my League unfortunately :(

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I'm sure there will be some convoluted way to make it legal - possibly taking it to VOSA for an inspection (SVA, etc?) and a stamp. Might be worth giving them a call and asking the question. I've done allsorts of modifications in the past and as long as it passes whatever test they happen to book it under you just send off the logbook with any changes, tell the insurance and it's fine.
A lot of messing about but a much better option than having a bump and losing your house to pay for it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you for the suggestion.
Looks like a possible way forward although voiding the warranty will need careful consideration. An older EV almost out of warranty would be one possibility.
Fitting a Cleo towbar to a ZOE, then getting it inspected would be another. and maybe that wouldn't invalidate the warranty either.
There will be towing limits appropriate to the weight of the towing vehicle but I don't expect that will be a problem.
It's not as though I want to tow a caravan. Most of what I expect to carry is not too heavy and probably a short distance away from home.
Will give VOSA a call in the new year when things are back to normal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts