Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"So what is this thing? First and foremost, the Toyota Mirai is an electric car, but it doesn't have the big, heavy battery packs used by cars such as Tesla's Model S and Nissan's Leaf."

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...bets-against-tesla-with-new-hydrogen-car.aspx
----------------------------------------

So... it's a Plug-In Prius with a hydrogen fuel cell instead of a petrol combustion engine. Since hydrogen is derived from methane/natural gas or electrolysis, how is this supposed to be better for the environment than petrol-powered vehicles? Since it can't refuel by "plugging in" at home how is it supposed to be more-convenient than a battery?

I don't think that you'll see me switching to hydrogen simply to get a more-expensive, less-ubiquitous, more-polluting power source. Oh wait, what sensible reason would there be to switch?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I think biological hydrogen production is what's being banked on. In addition there are still plenty of advocates around the UK policy scene for water-based production of H2 using excess renewable electricity within the 2050 timescale. It's too early to pick a final winner - I'm on the fence. By final, I mean the 2100 solution.

One could say that from here it's a straight race between battery energy density/cost and the Hydrogen supply chain

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Thought it was Lady Penenolope's car with a respray

·
Super Moderator
11,863 Posts
Doesn't much look like the Ford one or the RR one. I'll admit I had to go and look. I never saw the movie.

If the Toyota qualifies for an HOV pass, people in California will buy it.

·
Super Moderator
7,508 Posts
Hydrogen Power is not your electric plug, Hydrogen Fuel motors only exhausts water no other emissions. Elelectric plug-ins are using power normally from the grid hence the energy is generated at a cost to the environment, as of yet we do not have total green energy, so it is a cost to the environment. Not even talking about Hybrids:- Petrol Hybrid Emissions and now we have Diesel Hybrids WHY when are governments going to clamp down on Diesels the biggest polluters of all. Sensible reason to switch to Hydrogen Fuels Cells are emission free using up yes pollutants we don't want. Draw back the small minority will only be able to afford them, and I hope I'm wrong on that!
Pray do tell, where does the hydrogen come from? Do benign hydrogen bunnies drop it off direct to your fuel tank while you sleep? Perhaps it's teleported from the future (and the core of the sun) via wormholes to the fuelling station? No?

It come from oil and gas, doesn't it? Lifecycle emissions are worse than diesel, aren't they? Oh dear.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,644 Posts
Toyota Exec: Shall we actually sell our FCEVs in dealerships, and then show customers how much better they are than BEV alternatives?

Toyota Marketing: How about we just troll forums?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,162 Posts
Hydrogen Power is not your electric plug, Hydrogen Fuel motors only exhausts water no other emissions. Elelectric plug-ins are using power normally from the grid hence the energy is generated at a cost to the environment, as of yet we do not have total green energy, so it is a cost to the environment. Not even talking about Hybrids:- Petrol Hybrid Emissions and now we have Diesel Hybrids WHY when are governments going to clamp down on Diesels the biggest polluters of all. Sensible reason to switch to Hydrogen Fuels Cells are emission free using up yes pollutants we don't want. Draw back the small minority will only be able to afford them, and I hope I'm wrong on that!
This is very broken and unintelligible. If it's a person their understanding of science is as poor as their English, and if it's a bot then Toyota should do better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.