Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota are releasing an EV with million kilometre warranty on the battery.

It's basically a Renault with Toyota body kit and interior. Battery is forced air cooled instead of liquid to keep it light.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,475 Posts
So .. a reduction in Toyota warranty, then?

The hybrid drive has been warranted indefinitely, recently.

Interesting that the Proace will be the same as the Vauxhall Vivaro, it's been the same platform (PSA/VX/Toyota) for a long time.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

What batteries are they using for the hybrid drive? Same ones but smaller?

Thing with hybrid is that because it's still a fossil car they can treat the batteries very very gently and make them last forever. With an EV they have to compromise between available capacity, performance and longevity. 1000km/15 years is impressive for an EV and I hope other manufacturers improve their warranties in response.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Effectively it’s a lifetime warranty. I wonder whether the guarantee still applies if you sell the vehicle on?

·
Registered
370 Posts

Toyota's hybrid battery warranty is 5yrs/100k miles in the UK, although the owner can extend it every year up to 15 years.

(Edit: done a bit more reading up, apparently the warranty is automatically extended if the car is serviced at a Toyota dealer every time. So it's a 5-15 year warranty on hybrid batteries.)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,475 Posts
I think it's illegal to stipulate that a car is serviced by a franchised dealer in order to uphold the warranty (within the EU at least), so perhaps Toyota/Lexus will have to rethink.
The lifetime warranty as it is at present is NOT an offer that goes with the sale of the car, per se, it is an 'invitation to treat', I think is the legal term; they will continue to respect on-going good will if anything goes wrong if you continue to maintain it with them. If not, you get the 'basic' 6 year warranty (or whatever it is).

Happy to be told that's wrong, but that was my understanding. I went to look at an Auris a few years back (between Fluence and Ampera) and that was the understanding I came away with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts