Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I AM BUILDING A MR2 MK2 1999 WITH P85 MOTOR 2014 .MOTOR FITTED NOW WITH TESLA REAR SUB FRAME
8 DUBBLE BATTERY BOXES FITTED 2 IN THE FRONT .4 OVER THE REAR AXLE AND 2 IN THE BOOT .JUST STARTED WIRING .
mr2 007.JPG
mr2 003.JPG
mr2 004.JPG
mr2 005.JPG
mr2 003.JPG
mr2 004.JPG
mr2 005.JPG
mr2 006.JPG
mr2 007.JPG
mr2 015.JPG
mr2 016.JPG
mr2 010.JPG
mr2 011.JPG
mr2 012.JPG

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
656 Posts
Looks like some project! It doesn't even look like an MR2 at the moment!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,162 Posts
What type and capacity of batteries are you using, and what type of controller for the motor? That's potentially a huge amount of power for such a small car.
Have you stuck with the Tesla drive shafts and hubs or have you converted the Toyota ones? The former would seem to wide with different wheel options and the later too weak.

·
Super Moderator
7,508 Posts
Good luck with the Teslota, the handling is going to be..... interesting!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,406 Posts
I imagine it came out of the ditch like that :D
It might be precisely that in the future, once the OP tries to drive it! :sneaky:

I can't help but be totally impressed by anyone who turns a car into what looks like a big pile of scrap parts, then puts them all back together again. I'm used to working with systematic mass production lines and designing a seamless flow of parts and assembly processes. Whenever I see a car turned into a pile of bits, instinct kicks in and I feel a need to go look for the quality manual and 5S guidance! Kudos to those who can manage to do this sort of thing.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
918 Posts
So the tool for turning the car upside down is called a rotisserie. Honest.

I absolutely love projects like this, and have huge admiration for people who have the skills and bravery to see them through.

At some point I hope to put a Tesla small drive motor in the back of my Mk1 MX-5. It’ll have to wait until the cost of doing it professionally comes down by half though, or I won’t ever get past the pile of bits stage.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,906 Posts
So the tool for turning the car upside down is called a rotisserie. Honest.
I used to use something similar when working on composite glider fuselages, wings off of course, never did find out what it was callled!

I did once transplant a TT engine into a Mk1 Golf, but that wasn’t as involved a job as the OPs!

I love this kind of thing, if I ever have the time, I’d love to convert something to EV, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What's its weight rating?

Will it be able to take the weight once you add all the battery packs?

(Just a hint there to check that before you start bolting on the packs upside down! ;) )
yes will take 500 kg uprated front and rear shocks and springs ,using lexus shocks

weight is going to be just under 1800 kg hopefully .

1 - 20 of 35 Posts