Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
EGGY
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bloke in the coffee shop regularly asks me about my i3 .... this morning I got "I'm thinking of buying one of those self charging hybrids" ... dear oh dear

·
EGGY
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just told him don't. He's a retired gent, drives to Perth a few times a year, I told him to consider a Zoe or e208. I'm terrible, I have to hold myself back from information overload, he'll be there next time I pop in (at least twice a week), drip drip drip and I'll convince him ;)

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Yep I've had this too. Even with a smug 'your car is out of date now' and also the classic 'Toyota have a car that runs on water'.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Bloke in the coffee shop regularly asks me about my i3 .... this morning I got "I'm thinking of buying one of those self charging hybrids" ... dear oh dear
Colleague at work (drives old renault estate diesel) said he was looking at one of those self charging hybrid Auris. Asked is it plug in? Blank look. Said he would get info from dealer. Couple of days later was outraged it would only do a mile on electric before it had to recharge. Told him it was recharged by burning petrol and a small amount of regen.
In fairness to him he was angry about the bad advertising and felt misled.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,156 Posts
I just told him don't. He's a retired gent, drives to Perth a few times a year, I told him to consider a Zoe or e208. I'm terrible, I have to hold myself back from information overload, he'll be there next time I pop in (at least twice a week), drip drip drip and I'll convince him ;)

Tell him to make the most of the good times now. Charging for Charging is rolling out widespread across Scotland now. Marching to the beat of the EVA Scotland drum. If he doesn't switch to full EV now he'll be paying for petrol needlessly and soon he'll be paying for Electricity anyway, so better to benefit now.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,061 Posts
Still, Toyota are factually correct, just confusing.

It is better to exaggerate about a real thing.

·
Registered
301 Posts
We have two Honda hybrids, both have 50K on them and mine is made of Aluminium and likely to last forever! I will run it until it becomes problematic, the problem is plenty of them have done 300k plus on the original engines! to reliable for their own good comes to mind. I think before to long I will look at a full electric conversion, a couple have been done in the states and are running well, and I like the car a lot just a very clever machine that does what it says on the tin

·
Registered
90 Posts
Got in my self-charging hybrid this morning, which is rarely used now, due to having an e-golf. Straight away I had range anxiety as there was a refuel warning on the dash. In Christmas traffic it took me at least 20mins to get to the petrol station, refuel and then go where I needed to. It reminded me how convenient it is being able to 'refuel' at home with the e-golf!

The steering in the hybrid made me feel like something was broken, it was so much heavier than the golf. Ultimately, I can't wait to get rid of the SC hybrid.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Got in my self-charging hybrid this morning, which is rarely used now, due to having an e-golf. Straight away I had range anxiety as there was a refuel warning on the dash. In Christmas traffic it took me at least 20mins to get to the petrol station, refuel and then go where I needed to. It reminded me how convenient it is being able to 'refuel' at home with the e-golf!

The steering in the hybrid made me feel like something was broken, it was so much heavier than the golf. Ultimately, I can't wait to get rid of the SC hybrid.
"Self-charging hybrid" should be in quotes. :)

1 - 20 of 172 Posts