Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
If it is truly the future perhaps it will be also fitted with a cloacing device?

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I'd have thought the level of methane far exceeded that of hydrogen.
The industry standard way to produce hydrogen is from methane by a process known as steam reforming. At a temperature around 800C:
CH4 + H2OCO + 3 H2
then at a lower temperature the carbon monoxide produced in the first step can produce more hydrogen:
CO + H2O ⇌ CO2 + H2

Of course there is also the little matter of heating up the methane to 800C.

The specific plant referred to in the article uses a different technique: a molten carbonate fuel cell. From the descriptions I can find of that technology it isn't entirely clear to me how they use that to produce hydrogen.

·
Chartered Engineer
1,635 Posts
This whole thing stinks :D

Mind you anything that collects the methane and converts it into something less dangerous is a good move in my book. However as @Duncan commented we don't know the efficiency of the method used to generate the hydrogen or the energy used to compress, store and pump it. In lieu of better information @MoonCat looks quite right, it would be better to burn the methane to generate electricity and feed into the grid. That can be done at fairly low pressure without expending huge amounts of energy in the process.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
I can't believe it -- I actually saw one today..!

I was pulling on to Westway to go east from Shepherds Bush, and there it was.

It was a Green Tomatoes taxi -- must have been donated to them by Toyota.

In black it was certainly still ugly, but smaller and less distinctive than I expected.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Absolutely - that was the first thing I thought but then I saw it was plastered with stickers saying "Fuel Cell vehicle"...

Taxi firm creates cab that only emits water and no harmful fumes

He must have just come back from a refuelling expedition:

"One drawback is that there are currently only two refuelling points, one in Hatton Cross near Heathrow and one in Hendon.

"Driver Mark Grose said he had to plan his day so that his route took him near them at least once. He added that the cars, though quiet, were “a bit noisier” than an electric vehicle."

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I am so sorry that Toyota are chasing this nonsense. They could at least have offered a choice and let the consumer decide. They had so much experience with the Prius, the PIP, the original and newer Rav4s and erm, the EQ :unsure::censored:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts