Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know whether or not TPMS works with Autel MX sensors (433 MHz)?

I would like to use MX sensors instead of the original ones (which I believe are CUB sensors) because I have the Autel MaxiTPMS TS401 service tool which can ** read ** all sensors but it can only clone (write) MX sensors.

The idea is to be able to change the whole wheels (summer/winter) without having to use LeafSpy to register (re-learn) tire positions. I do not really feel like driving my car on under-inflated tires, each of which would temporarily have to be set to a specific pressure.

I asked my local Autel distributor, and they were about 90% (not 100%) sure about the compatibility. It would help if I knew the original Nissan TPMS part number, but Nissan dealers gave me several different numbers to choose from (407705ZH1A, 407003VU0A, 407006WY0B, 407705ZH0A), even though I tried my best to make them look it up by VIN.

My best option seems to be to only buy one MX sensor and test it with the car before ordering the other 3 sensors. I think I could actually test it as follows - without even touching my car, yet one of the Nissan dealers warned me against conducting such experiments; they said I could well confuse the car so much that "it would take them half a year to fix it". Obviously they want me to buy the original sensors from them; then I would have to visit them twice a year and pay them for changing the wheels.

Please let me know what ** you ** think. I think I could clone one of my existing sensors, bring it close to the car and "trigger" it using my service tool. I would have to be close enough for the signal from the MX sensor to reach the car, but not too close not to wake up any of the original sensors in the wheels - those should be sleeping (not transmitting) if I leave the car parked for a day or two. Before my test, I would start the car (put it in the ready state), but I would not move it, and I would be careful not to stomp around like an elephant, because I know it is the movement/vibrations from driving that wake up TPMS sensors, too.

Now, I think the MX sensor in my hand will detect no pressure at all, so it will send an error message to the car, and the car should complain. If I get the TPMS warning light on the dashboard, I think it will be a proof of a successful communication (i.e., compatibility) between the MX sensor and the car.

Then if I turn the car off, move the MX sensor away and then turn the car back on, in my opinion it should be ok. Do you agree, or do you think I am wrong? Would this be a safe experiment, or have I missed anything in my plan?

Super Moderator
I think that you can visually check your pressures once a week and the sensors are not really required. Only ever had one car with them, and the system was broken, permanantly saying 3 of 4 tyres were flat.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
For anyone who is interested: I took the risk, bought one MX sensor, cloned it, triggered it near my car, and it worked - I got the TPMS warning light on the dashboard, and the corresponding wheel position was shown, too. When I moved the clone away and triggered the original sensor in the wheel, the warning light turned off.

The MaxiTPMS TS401 tool needs a SW update which adds a new option: Copy by Activation, see

After the update, it shows shorter sensor IDs (7 instead of 8 hex. digits), which is a bit confusing, but apparently no information is lost when sensors are cloned, and that is what counts.

Registered
Hi @kralik , I have a set of winter tyres on my Leaf that I want to put TPMS sensors in. I bought an Autel MaxiTPMS Pad and scanned the four OEM summer tyres. However all four seem to show the same ID. Is this possible? Or am I just reading the same one of the TPMS sensors each time?

Anyway, I've ordered four of these: 4pcs/lot Autel MX Sensor 433MHZ TPMS Sensor Support Programing With TS601 MX Sensor 433 MHZ Specially for Tire Pressure Sensor -in Pressure & Vacuum Testers from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I'll check the manual but I believe if I clone these (or even if I don't) my 2014 Leaf should auto-learn them (after I've set them to be for the Leaf using the PAD tool).

Wish me luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Eugene,

in my opinion, the IDs of the original sensors should be different, each one must be unique, otherwise if there was a defect (if pressure drops too much - you can try to simulate a defect if you like) in one tyre, your car would not be able to distinguish among individual tyres, so it could not show the position of the corresponding wheel in the error message on your dashboard.

I am not sure about the auto-learning capability of the Leaf. If you want to be on the safe side, make sure your winter wheels have the same IDs as your summer ones before you change the wheels. I think you have bought the right sensors because I remember mine looked exactly the same. One thing to note is that you may not be able to overwrite the IDs of the sensors after you put them inside the wheels. You should always be able to read the IDs, but I noticed I could only clone them when I held them in my hand, so they were almost touching the TPMS tool.

When a sensor was in such a close proximity to the tool, I could actually scan it in two different ways, either as a general Leaf sensor, or specifically as an Autel sensor. The latter way gave me more information, including the built-in battery voltage (e.g., 3.0 or 3.1 V, instead of OK/low). It is always good to know what the initial voltage is, because if it is 2.9 V or less, you may want to replace the sensor with a truly fresh one before you put it in a wheel where it should last a couple of years.

Anyway, good luck.

Registered
Hi Eugene,

in my opinion, the IDs of the original sensors should be different, each one must be unique, otherwise if there was a defect (if pressure drops too much - you can try to simulate a defect if you like) in one tyre, your car would not be able to distinguish among individual tyres, so it could not show the position of the corresponding wheel in the error message on your dashboard.

I am not sure about the auto-learning capability of the Leaf. If you want to be on the safe side, make sure your winter wheels have the same IDs as your summer ones before you change the wheels. I think you have bought the right sensors because I remember mine looked exactly the same. One thing to note is that you may not be able to overwrite the IDs of the sensors after you put them inside the wheels. You should always be able to read the IDs, but I noticed I could only clone them when I held them in my hand, so they were almost touching the TPMS tool.

When a sensor was in such a close proximity to the tool, I could actually scan it in two different ways, either as a general Leaf sensor, or specifically as an Autel sensor. The latter way gave me more information, including the built-in battery voltage (e.g., 3.0 or 3.1 V, instead of OK/low). It is always good to know what the initial voltage is, because if it is 2.9 V or less, you may want to replace the sensor with a truly fresh one before you put it in a wheel where it should last a couple of years.

Anyway, good luck.
Thanks. I did read elsewhere that each wheel well has an antenna that picks up the TPMS sensor signal and thus knows which wheel it came from. That kind of makes sense as the signal can't be that strong. If this is the case, then unique ids would not be required for each wheel (but might make sense for each car). I'll keep googling ... :D

Registered
Mystery solved! It turns out that my TPMS tool was picking up the first wheel's TPMS sensor even though I was waving it at the valve in a different wheel. So, the answer is that all four wheel TPMS sensors have different IDs!

Registered
* LONG POST ALERT *

OK, so for those (and I appreciate this may not be very many :cautious:) who are interested in the Leaf's TPMS system, I thought I'd share how I managed to clone the TPMS sensors in my OEM summer wheels, so that I can have TPMS working in my set of winter wheels. I got into this because I bought some winter wheels/tyres that came without TPMS sensors, and soon the TPMS alert showed up on the dashboard. I could just ignore it, but curiosity got the better of me and I set about figuring how the Leaf's TPMS system works and how I could make the winter wheels/tyres work with it.

1. So I did a lot of googling and studied this forum.
  2. I bought the following http://amzn.eu/5TKNwIX (well actually I bought the sensor and the TPMS Sensors from AliExpress, so direct from China).
61qRAmHrcHL._SL1000_.jpg

The MaxiTPMS pad tool plugs into your laptop and is supplied with software on a CD. I installed that and it immediately wanted to be updated to the latest version. I think this is a key step in making it work.

• I tested the new sensors on the pad and it picked them up and verified them as working. It shows the temperature and pressure they're reading as well as the battery voltage (all 3.0V or above).
  • Note that these are 433MHz devices for Europe (incl. the UK ;))
  • Now I tried to use the pad to test/read the units in my summer wheels by pressing the sensor against the valve and hitting TEST on the laptop software. Nothing doing. It tries, beeps and the indicator lights up red.
  • My research indicates that the in-wheel TPMS sensors go into a sleep mode when the wheel is stationary, so that's why they couldn't be read. My guess is the pad tries to wake them up, but the metal of the wheel rim prevents this working. But there is a plan B!
  • I let about 10 seconds of air out of my test wheel and tried again. Bingo! The loss of air pressure seems to get the sensor transmitting again. Last but not easNow I got a reading, and the ID of the sensor showed up. Hurrah!
  • Jubilant, I tried the second wheel, only to get the same ID!!! (See earlier post in this thread).
  • It turned out after much head scratching that I was simply picking up the first wheel's sensor again (again guessing here, but they probably send out their radio signal every few seconds so it's just luck which wheel the test tool picks up). The range is quite considerable.
  • So, I hauled the other wheels away (I recommend about 20 metres ... seriously!). Now when I tested the second wheel I got the failed test and red light ... but at least that told me I wasn't picking up the first wheel.
  • Let air out of second wheel, ran test ... and got a new ID!!!
  • Same again for the remaining wheels, only having the test wheel near the test tool.
  • Last but not least, I use the software in 'Create New Sensor' mode and setup each of the new TPMS sensors for the European Nissan Leaf and cloning the four IDs.
Next stage ... get them fitted by a local tyre fitter (this should be fun). Hopefully, when I drive away the TPMS alert should go away and I'm back to having TPMS alerts on my winter tyres. Wish me luck!

Eugene

Registered
And lo ... all four cloned sensors installed in my winter wheels and the TPMS warning light is no longer showing, which means they've been picked up and are presumably showing satisfactory pressures. I'll set the pressures and reset it later, also I'll do a test by letting down one tyre and seeing if I get an alert.

Registered
Here is a pic of TPMS in my Soul taken from Torque

I also bought a set of winter wheels with TPMS for my F11 a couple of years ago
They arrived with the wrong ones fitted, end result tyre pressures were 12 psi and temp in the 'blood hot' range from cold.

My car did not like that at all and I had error lights and bongs and messages on the screen like there was no tomorrow!

Tyres.jpg

Registered
Hi Eugene, would you have a link for the sensors and pad from Gearbest, done a search but nothing shows up.
Thanks
Paul

Registered
Hi just saw this thread and wanted to ask I have the same issue. My normal summer tyres and wheels (the ones that came with the Leaf) are fine as expected. However, I have a whole set of new wheels with winter tyres but I don't think they have TPMS fitted because the TPMS light flashes on the dash. If I try to reset the sensors from the Leaf's dash then the light goes away for a bit but then comes back. I have LeafSpy Pro but I'm not sure if that will give me any more info.

So assuming that I genuinely don't have TPMS sensors in my winter set, can I take the wheels to a local garage and get them to install TPMS sensors. If the winter wheels have different IDs to my summer wheels, can I use the Leaf's tyre reset to recognise the new set when I change them? If not, can I do something in LeafSpy to reset them? If that's not possible, can I get the local garage to clone the IDs of my summer tyres?

I'm not keen on going down the route of buying a TPMS reader, and buying the senors myself, especially as this is probably a one time thing. I'd rather get a local garage to do it for me.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Registered
Hi just saw this thread and wanted to ask I have the same issue. My normal summer tyres and wheels (the ones that came with the Leaf) are fine as expected. However, I have a whole set of new wheels with winter tyres but I don't think they have TPMS fitted because the TPMS light flashes on the dash. If I try to reset the sensors from the Leaf's dash then the light goes away for a bit but then comes back. I have LeafSpy Pro but I'm not sure if that will give me any more info.

So assuming that I genuinely don't have TPMS sensors in my winter set, can I take the wheels to a local garage and get them to install TPMS sensors. If the winter wheels have different IDs to my summer wheels, can I use the Leaf's tyre reset to recognise the new set when I change them? If not, can I do something in LeafSpy to reset them? If that's not possible, can I get the local garage to clone the IDs of my summer tyres?

I'm not keen on going down the route of buying a TPMS reader, and buying the senors myself, especially as this is probably a one time thing. I'd rather get a local garage to do it for me.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
I'm sure a competent tyre fitter place would procure and install TPMS sensors if you ask them. My guess is that you don't need to clone them, just do a reset.

Registered
For what its worth, I don't have sensors in my winter wheel set either - a few weeks ago on one journey i got a pressure alarm on the dashboard, front left tyre, followed within a few minutes by the near rearside and rear offside tyres. This is still with the amber warning triangle and TPMS symbol illuminated as i'd expect given no sensors to be found on my car These were present for the next few miles. I realised that the vehicle behind me for the last few miles was a Nissan Juke. When i was able to move away from the Juke the alarms disappeared. Clearly the TPMS system has a reasonable range (25-30m ?) and detected the 433MHz sensors in the Juke's wheels, the pressures being different to those logged by my Leaf.

With that in mind it may be possible to just install 433MHz sensors, move the vehicle to wake them up (and far enough away from the summer wheels), and then do a pressure rest in the car menu.

Registered
It's not that easy I have winters on my leaf 40 with no sensors in the wheels that are off a leaf 24 dashboard has the warning light on all the time with no bleeping. There are only two ways to get the tpms working with another set of wheels.
1. Fit the winters with OEM Nissan sensors then back to the dealer to code them every time you change the wheels so expensive and a PITA.
2. Buy clonable Chinese sensors copy the codes from your original wheels program them onto the Chinese sensors no need to code the car whenever you swap wheels.

Second option is preferred but the sensors are still 拢25 each +fitting and programming.
I just run for 4months with the light on and an external tpms system fitted bought off eBay. Item number

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Registered
It's not that easy I have winters on my leaf 40 with no sensors in the wheels that are off a leaf 24 dashboard has the warning light on all the time with no bleeping. There are only two ways to get the tpms working with another set of wheels.
1. Fit the winters with OEM Nissan sensors then back to the dealer to code them every time you change the wheels so expensive and a PITA.
2. Buy clonable Chinese sensors copy the codes from your original wheels program them onto the Chinese sensors no need to code the car whenever you swap wheels.

Second option is preferred but the sensors are still 拢25 each +fitting and programming.
I just run for 4months with the light on and an external tpms system fitted bought off eBay. Item number

I spoke to a local tyre garage and they said they can't supply TPMS sensors but they can fit them. I would have to buy TPMS sensors from Nissan. They did say that all I'd need to do is do a tyre reset from the Leaf's dash when I change my tyre set over as the Leaf self learns. If this is all that's required, then I won't need to get them coded by the dealer each time.

Not sure how much the TPMS sensors will cost from Nissan though. But if it is just a dash reset when I switch wheels then I'm keen on that.

Registered
Do you have a 40kwh leaf or an earlier one? The 40 now only tells you if you have a flat but which on and the individual tyre pressures of all 4. The early leafs only put a light on when a tyre was flat would be good to know keep us informed if you get it sorted. Quick Google seems the oem sensors might be 拢50 a wheel

Registered
Do you have a 40kwh leaf or an earlier one? The 40 now only tells you if you have a flat but which on and the individual tyre pressures of all 4. The early leafs only put a light on when a tyre was flat would be good to know keep us informed if you get it sorted. Quick Google seems the oem sensors might be 拢50 a wheel

I've got a 30kWh Leaf. Just spoke to the local Nissan stealers and they said the TPMS are about 拢62 per wheel. However, each set of wheels needs to be coded to the car. If you swap the set of wheels over (e.g. winter and summer sets) then you'll need to re-code the wheels to the car to make the dash light go away. And re-coding is something that you have to take it to the garage for. The reset TPMS function in the Leaf's dash is only to reset the existing coded wheels after sorting out a flat tyre (as an example).

Registered
Thanks for the clarification thanks exactly what I discovered from my original research as I detailed in my post #16 but as I hadn't gone to Nissan could not 100% dispute the poster who said it could be reset from the dash or leafspy. It's far to expensive to go to Nissan so I run with the light on for a few months you don't even see it after a while.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts