Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Journeyman Human
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of the many annoying things about coming back to ownership of a new car after several years away is the relentless pace of change, supposedly for the better, but usually just to cover for the lazy. To a competent, hands on person that likes to make changes to things, this usually means more cost in both time and money. :(

Case in point being TPMS systems. So I've seen a nice set of nearly new 18" Audi wheels along with tyres of the correct size/format to keep my wheel diameter spot on for the MG. In the good old days, this would mean a set of suitable hub rings in the wheels, check the bolt type and change if necessary, and I could have just bolted them on and driven away happy.

But oh no, that's now far too easy for the new, improved, idiot proof world... So now I need to find out if the existing Audi TPMS sensors in the new wheels can be re-programmed to my MG, or do I need to swap them out for a new set that have to then be programmed, or the equally expensive horror of swapping my existing MG sensors from my existing wheels to the new wheels, meaning I then can't revert to the other set of wheels should I want to without a second set of sensors and possible programming. What a total pain in the arse for a normal human that checks tire pressures once a week and never asked to have a system to do it for me, that is also now illegal to be without!!!

OK, so rant over...

Does anyone actually know much about the ZS EV system? Can a set of Audi sensors be re-programmed to be recognised by the MG system? (I'm sort of hoping as SAIC build for VAG group, they just might be using a similar VDO sensor or some such!)

If I do need to get a new set, has anyone any experience of the best option and programming them to the ZS EV?

Many thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
503 Posts
I do prefer the ABS sensor based TPMS system. No idea who thought it was a good idea to put sensors in the wheels that's just dumb. I have the same problem on my I3 and am not looking forward to the inevitable replacements ..

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Does the MG use actual sensors or just use the ABS rings? Most of the actual sensors can be bought on eBay for buttons if you can find out the frequency required.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Trolling myself, there's been a previous thread about it. You're in luck, it is the ABS ring type hence nothing else needed. No - this is wrong!

Tyre Pressure Monitoring System Failure

Edited to amend answer in light of new information. The MG appears to be fitted with in-wheel based pressure transducers.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Mine has the valve-based sensors - I presume the others do as well.

ABS based ones were rubbish - way more prone to false alarms. Modern wheel-based ones are accurate to 1psi.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
503 Posts
ABS based ones aren't accurate at all, they only detect changes in relative pressure between the four wheels. But it's good enough, and it's a lot cheaper ("free" in fact) than the wheel based sensors.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
For the last 4 new cars, Ive purchased, they have all had TPMS sensors. Its just one of those things to embrace, a bit like when carburettors were banned and one could no longer tinker with the mixture screw and a Gunson Colortune. Once you have purchased a TPMS sensor actuator and programmer, the rest is pretty easy. Hint, It helps to know how to convert between hexadecimal and decimal when manual programming.

There is a very good supplier in the UK, who guarantees to be able to clone any TPMS sensor fitted to a UK car, that makes running two sets of wheels etc very straightforward.

·
Journeyman Human
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a very good supplier in the UK, who guarantees to be able to clone any TPMS sensor fitted to a UK car, that makes running two sets of wheels etc very straightforward.
Do you have the details please? Am I right in assuming this means the cloned set of sensors will just work immediately as if the original wheels were still on? Sounds like it might be the best solution.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ABS based ones aren't accurate at all, they only detect changes in relative pressure between the four wheels. But it's good enough, and it's a lot cheaper ("free" in fact) than the wheel based sensors.
Don't forget that the wheel base sensors need replacement every 5 to10 years, with the average life cycle around 7 years.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Do you have the details please? Am I right in assuming this means the cloned set of sensors will just whelp & inquires call TPMS warehouse on 01254301021 (option 3)ork immediately as if the original wheels were still on? Sounds like it might be the best solution.
You will need to speak to the company owner at

help & inquires call TPMS warehouse on 01254301021 (option 3)

Now, he will probably suggest you extract the existing sensor IDs from your car so that you get exact clones

Post on this if you need help

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I seem to recall something about the Kona having abs sensor based tpms and it causing problems with falsely indicating a fault if the tyres weren't worn equally, so if you had one tyre replaced due to a puncture it was a problem??

·
Registered
199 Posts
Fav guy.why don't you save your self a whole lot of hasle and money and stick with the original wheels and just enjoy the car as you bought it .Just a thought.Hope you get it sorted.

·
Journeyman Human
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Fav guy.why don't you save your self a whole lot of hasle and money and stick with the original wheels and just enjoy the car as you bought it .Just a thought.Hope you get it sorted.
I sometimes wish I could, lol!! But I'm a tinkerer and have to get things how I like them.

I already love the car, but I need it to be "mine", so it's getting front fog lights, nicer styled 18" wheels, and an auto dimming rear view mirror with inside and outside temperature readings, Then it'll be mine and not just another ZS EV ;)

Although to be absolutely perfect it needs subtly lowering by about 30mm.... Hmm...:unsure:

·
Registered
199 Posts
I sometimes wish I could, lol!! But I'm a tinkerer and have to get things how I like them.

I already love the car, but I need it to be "mine", so it's getting front fog lights, nicer styled 18" wheels, and an auto dimming rear view mirror with inside and outside temperature readings, Then it'll be mine and not just another ZS EV ;)

Although to be absolutely perfect it needs subtly lowering by about 30mm.... Hmm...:unsure:
So favguy,your a little tinker are you.Ive got two little tinkers here they're called Jack Russel's.Any way have fun tinkering with your new baby I've done a bit on my MG ZS ev.😂👍

·
Journeyman Human
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So favguy,your a little tinker are you.Ive got two little tinkers here they're called Jack Russel's.Any way have fun tinkering with your new baby I've done a bit on my MG ZS ev.😂👍
I like Jack Russel's, we used to have a couple on the families small holding growing up. They were great dogs and loved hunting for rats!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts