Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New software and hardware coming for model 3 performance.

·
Registered
130 Posts
A pointless upgrade for YouTubers to make more videos, IMO.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I will probably get skewered for saying this, but $5,500 or (£5,500 in the UK) doesn't seem too bad considering the cost of just a set of 4 of the standard 20" wheels and tyres that Tesla charges. I don't need track performance on our M3P, but those wheels do look nice to me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More interested in the free software part. In theory could you could put the car in FWD only or RWD only. Increase range?! ?

·
Registered
17,453 Posts
More interested in the free software part. In theory could you could put the car in FWD only or RWD only. Increase range?! ?
Dual motor cars have better range because they have different sized and geared motors front and rear to optimise efficiency.

·
Registered
672 Posts
It's unlikely that messing about with the front to rear power ratios will make any difference, maybe a slight tweak to reduce the front power, it's not like an ICE car where sometimes shifting a bit more power to the rear can help drive out of corners and such, as there's not one motor there's two, so it's not 50/50 it's nearer 42/58 as the rear is about 80bhp more than the front, and unlike an ICE shifting power, doesn't move it, it just reduces it from one of the motors.
This looks like it's mostly for fun, and on that basis I'm all up for it. The model 3 is very quick but it isn't exactly a track weapon so you're going to have fun, not set lap records (unless it's an unmodified-family-saloon-for-under-£60k lap record).

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 Performance 2019
105 Posts
I too like the look of those rims. I would also have great fun playing around with all those settings.

Sadly, I would inevitably bin my car if I decided to risk a track day, and I couldn’t afford to replace it.

Does Track Mode disable the phantom breaking feature? ;)

·
Registered
17,453 Posts
The model 3 is very quick but it isn't exactly a track weapon so you're going to have fun, not set lap records (unless it's an unmodified-family-saloon-for-under-£60k lap record).
The Model 3 is already setting lap records in the US. Although strictly speaking it’s not a track day if you’re timing it - that’s a race and bound by a completely different set of rules.

·
Registered
17,453 Posts
The model 3 is very quick but it isn't exactly a track weapon so you're going to have fun, not set lap records (unless it's an unmodified-family-saloon-for-under-£60k lap record).
The Model 3 is already setting lap records in the US. Although strictly speaking it’s not a track day if you’re timing it - that’s a race and bound by a completely different set of rules.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 Performance 2019
105 Posts
I too like the look of those rims. I would also have great fun playing around with all those settings.

Sadly, I would inevitably bin my car if I decided to risk a track day, and I couldn’t afford to replace it.

Does Track Mode disable the phantom breaking feature? ;)

·
Registered
17,453 Posts
Just get a day’s airfield tuition before you go. It’s proven very useful for me over the years, even on public roads.

Then you’ll realise that 99% of people talk crap about driving. ;)

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'm not saying it's a slow car by any means but that "lap record" was made by a stripped out model 3 running aftermarket suspension, brakes, bracing, arms wheels and tyres, and it's record was a class record, and almost 10s off the track record set by a viper.
But track days are about having fun and a "stock" model 3 running track mode v2 looks amazing fun!

Track day insurance isn't that bad as a one off payment when it's on top of your overall expenses. A lot cheaper than a new set of pilot sport cup 2 ;)

1 - 13 of 12 Posts