Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 435 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Myself and another forum member on LeafTalk, MetalHead, have started working on a new website, EV Status.

I will let you know right off the bat, this is in the very early stages of development. As such, you shouldn't expect it to be stable, reliable, super awesome or even very functional, just yet!

I have however completed one feature and I'd like some help from the community to test it. The CarWings website allows you to export your historic data from your Nissan Leaf. This includes details on every journey it has made whilst in your possession and the details include: Date, Total Power Used, Total Power From Battery, Total Power From Regen, Distance, Energy Economy and CO2 Savings.

From this I hope to create a really awesome dashboard where you can see lifetime statistics, power usage graphed over time, regeneration graphed over time and everything else you can think of. At present, the site can import all of this data and start to give you some high level statistics. This includes: Total number of trips, total miles, total power used, total power regenerated. It will give you these statistics for the last week, the last month and the total life of the data.

Right now I'm just looking to test this out with some actual real life data and real life users. Once I'm confident the import, storage and processing are all solid, I will start to fill out the dashboard with more statistics and eventually graphs of the data over time. Obviously I don't want to start this until I have confidence that the basics are working.

Interested in helping out?
All you need to be able to do is login to the CarWings website here. Once logged in, select "Driving History" in the left menu. A little window will pop up and you need to select "Energy Info". It will now show you your energy info for the current month. If you scroll to the very bottom there is a "Download Energy Info Table" button that will download all of the data on the screen into a CSV file. At the top, you can then press the arrow to the left of the date to go back though each month of your history and export the data. Once you have all the data, you're ready to upload it to EVStatus.com. Please request an account here (I'm not opening up the signup yet) and I will PM you a username and password to use for testing.

Things to note
As I mentioned, this site is in the very early stages of development. Please keep a copy of the files you download from CarWings as your data may be deleted from EVStatus if we need to clear out the database or if something changes etc... The site will progressively become more stable and reliable as more and more features are added. I'd just ask that you remember it is very new and trying to break it will most likely break it!

Thanks in advance!!

Scott.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Two quick questions... Do you HAVE to export month by month, and will that continue to be the case?

Other than looking less blue and clunky than CarWings, will this do anything different, new and exciting? If I read correctly it'll be all the same data , but just mapped and displayed in a more interesting and probably helpful way, is that correct?

I'll get my data down and over at some point soon, always like trying out new gadgets!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two quick questions... Do you HAVE to export month by month, and will that continue to be the case?

Other than looking less blue and clunky than CarWings, will this do anything different, new and exciting? If I read correctly it'll be all the same data , but just mapped and displayed in a more interesting and probably helpful way, is that correct?

I'll get my data down and over at some point soon, always like trying out new gadgets!
Unfortunately you can only export month by month as this is all the CarWings website provides an option for. It would be great to do an annual or even lifetime export but there's just no such option. I will reach out to Nissan to see about either of those options, or an API for the data, but I highly doubt they will ever commit resources to supporting a 3rd party.

In terms of changes, for the short term it will be a far superior replacement to the CarWings website. Once we have covered all of the existing functionality, we can start to expand on to new areas. The graphs will probably be rendered using something like Flotr, which will make them look great. I'm planning for the ability to create your own forum signature that you can customise with data you like from your account, leader boards (probably by month) for various metrics that we can create and there are other interesting things we can do with larger aggregations of data. Plotting your long term economy figures against seasonal temperature variations will give accurate insights into just what the effects of the weather are. We can pull average fuel prices from places like Petrol Prices and plot monthly cost savings against accurate fuel price data.

Once you get into the realms of 'big data' there are seriously interesting and exciting things you can do.

Also, due to differences in the data I can tell the difference between a Gen 1 and Gen 2 data export. Imagine once there are possibly hundreds of each in the database the kind of comparisons we can draw. Looking if there is a huge difference in economy would be one of the most interesting points, for example.

So, to answer the question, yes, I believe it will be doing a lot of different things!

Scott.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Looks awesome ! When I get round to setting up ovms on the Ampera, I would definitely be interested in some way to store and vie this data :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great, just let me know. If OVMS outputs something like CSV, it's actually really easy to setup. Once you get it working, just let me know. I'd like to get hold of some test data to import and play around with.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you go back through the months it doesn't seem to populate the page but the download button should still give you the data assuming the car was registered to you then. This has also been reported on LeafTalk.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
If you go back through the months it doesn't seem to populate the page but the download button should still give you the data assuming the car was registered to you then. This has also been reported on LeafTalk.
CarWings sucks so hard at just about everything UI/UX related, both the website and the app! Will go back and keep plugging data for a while.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CarWings sucks so hard at just about everything UI/UX related, both the website and the app! Will go back and keep plugging data for a while.
It sure does. That's mainly what prompted me to create my own!

I'm quite impressed the site is up to such a large number of statistics already.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Should have guessed!!

When you're on the account page can you change account.php in the address bar to account2.php and let me know if it's any better/different/worse?

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 435 Posts