Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #424

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I've just posted a new article based on the EVS data:

Analysing variations in EV efficiency
@ScottHelme Thanks for this. Keep up the good work. 1M miles should come up soon.

I came to a different set of conclusions about the impact of reducing regen as a % with trip distance and the increased efficiency miles/kWh as the trip length increased. Regen is still wasteful because the round trip of energy out and back into the battery is about 80% efficient but not as wasteful as unnecessary friction braking. The ideal would be no regen and no braking by any means other than coasting down. Therefore the less regen AND conventional braking you do use as would be the case in a longer trip which is more likely to be on open roads with little need to retard or halt the car often the more efficient your miles/kWh should become. Starts sap energy hard to get rolling but in urban areas start stop losses might be balanced off by higher wind resistance due to greater speed on an open A road for a longer trip. The other factor that may come into play is the battery warming up with use on a single longer run and becoming more efficient as a consequence. The difference between summer (no heater) and winter (heater) driving plotted as two graphs of miles/kWh against trip length (x) might be informative to see the gradient of the two approximate straight line curves.

Also efficiency against date for each year might correlate well with average daytime temperature. We have had some very cold temperature dips in the first two weeks of December for a couple of years and the efficiency at least by eye seems to track.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Great site, I managed to use CarWings direct import feature to import my data month by month. Only 7 months so not too laborious.

I found the most useful bit of information is estimated money spent. I usually charge on E7 at 9p per kWh, but occasional rapid charge means 12p per kWh should be a good compromise. The fuel cost saved is also excellent, it gives easy reading of how well I'm doing financially.

So close to 1,000,000 miles across the whole site now. Only 350 miles to go! If someone forgot to import for a few month, do it now, it will push over the milestone.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #431
Imports are now working properly again for those who noticed a problem :)

EV Status

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Scott,

I have just signed up. No up load until subscription renewal debacle is resolved. Do you know if users loose their old data when they renew?

HT

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Hi Everyone,
We're likely to be shuttering this service in the near future as we've both moved on to other things.
We're happy to give out the code to anyone who's interested should it be of use.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Thank you for providing this service.

It had me interested and gotten me to manually download data from Nissan server and do similar analysis in Excel (mainly lifetime cost per mile)

421 - 435 of 435 Posts