Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking delivery of my MS on Wednesday next week.(y)

My insurers have insisted on a tracking device to be installed so that the police can monitor it should the car be stolen. They will not accept my phone tracking as I suggested.

Anyone else come across this and any advice?

Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts

My insurers have insisted on a tracking device to be installed so that the police can monitor it should the car be stolen. They will not accept my phone tracking as I suggested.

Thanks.
Which insurer are you with?

·
Registered
5,440 Posts

Thanks.
The short answer is "find another insurer".

It's simply too painful to go down this road - others have tried and ultimately it's not worth the hassle. Tesla don't like trackers being fitted; the tracker fitters don't like fitting to Teslas, and all the stuff about ignition inhibition is fraught with trouble because there's no ignition wiring of any kind on a Model S that they can interrupt.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The short answer is "find another insurer".

It's simply too painful to go down this road - others have tried and ultimately it's not worth the hassle. Tesla don't like trackers being fitted; the tracker fitters don't like fitting to Teslas, and all the stuff about ignition inhibition is fraught with trouble because there's no ignition wiring of any kind on a Model S that they can interrupt.
Unfortunately, it's a company fleet policy and it would be difficult to move the whole fleet to another insurer. Thanks for the advice though.

·
Chartered Engineer
1,855 Posts
Unfortunately, it's a company fleet policy and it would be difficult to move the whole fleet to another insurer. Thanks for the advice though.
It might be worth checking the exact Tracker requirements. When I was originally looking to fit a Tracker for insurance reasons there are models that have a totally independent battery and no interaction with the car. These would be fairly safe to use with a Tesla although they do require a service (every 2 years I think) to swap out the battery. Worth asking. I didn't pursue it in the end because I decided to go with Home & Legacy who recognised the Tesla standard system.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sanjay - my first insurers also required a tracker so I fitted an Automatrics MTrack from Tracker GPS GSM RF Self Powered | Award Winning Trackers which doesn't require wiring in as it's self powered. This means it's can be easily hidden and also transferred to other cars if required. I think it's a great bit of kit but luckily haven't had to rely on it yet! Some of their recovery videos are quite entertaining. Alternatively I've moved insurers now to Home & Legacy (H&L) who know the Tesla well, don't require a tracker AND were considerably cheaper. I don't have any affiliations with either company but happy to recommend both.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Looks like LV needs a tracker as well. Not good. Am looking at H&L now.
Here's what LV told me in an online chat in Oct 2015:

Q. I have a quotation for insurance of a Tesla Model s, for which you require that a tracker be fitted. Must it be a particular tracker?

A. We don't recommend what make of Tracker is fitted, however if it meets the definition of 'an electronic system fitted to a vehicle which enables the owner or a third party to track the vehicle's location' then it's fine. All security and tracking devices should be active and in full working order and a network subscription, for any tracking device which we insist is fitted to the car, must be current and operable.

Q. So you don't specify a category of tracker - 5, 6, 7 etc?

A. That's right, we don't specify what type.

By the way, NFU are also OK with the Tesla system.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It will take about 2 years for them to catch up, back in the 90s when they first had to fit cats to cars I bought a new 1,1 fiesta. Could not get it insured although I was 35/40 ish no claims and no naughties, because it had single point injection!!!! 'Its injected it must be fast', it was slower than a standard 1.1 :confused:. Fords insured me in the end otherwise I would of had to cancel the order. It took 2 years before I could shop around.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Broker negotiated with the insurers and have agreed for an additional £ 750 excess against theft of the Tesla. I'm confident, i won't need to claim!

So I'll be collecting it on Wednesday with full insurance and NO TRACKER!
:)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts